Tuha and Holland

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by jamesgould, Sep 28, 2015.

1. jamesgould

jamesgould Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

They seem to have a great combination and have both scored a ton of tries this year. Tuha's long range try was a game changer, and Holland looked safe as houses in defence.

Anyone see them getting a shot in first grade next year?

2. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Holland has been very impressive and the bloke only came what, midway through the year? He's a freak and deserved his place in the NSW Cup Team of the Year that's for sure. I would have no problems with him being the first one to step up if either Gagai or Mata'utia were to go down injured or be involved with representative teams. He's got the speed, the skill, evasiveness and can eye an intercept. Tuha is basically the same. Didn't really rate him before this season but he was one of our best and highest try scorer. If Uate isn't moved on then he should be working his butt off in order to keep his spot over these two.

3. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    For mine I would play them both on the left side and move Sione outside Dane Gagai in Uate's place from round one. They have a ton of potential. Uate saw this threat last year and as he stated happy to play regiies for the money.

4. jamesgould

Are you alright Billy?!

5. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

wireless keyboard malfunction - think it's ok now.

- - - Updated - - -

Holland has only played maybe 5 games at centre this year - mostly in the finals since Pat and Channel have been injured.
    He has mostly played wing, but I think his preferred position is fullback, and from what I read his one game at fullback in the first final against Manly was his best game for us. He ran for over 200 metres, scored a try and a try assist and kicked 4 goals.

I have to say that his defense looked poor in his first 3 or 4 games, but he fixed that pretty quickly and he looks fine now, and can only get better if he starts training fulltime. I actually think he is a better prospect than Ross because he is bigger and seems to have a more complete game at a younger age (he looks younger). Ross improved out of sight with a firstgrade off season, and I can't see why Holland wouldn't.

6. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

NSW Cup is miles away from first grade standard so unlikely without bulk injuries. You'd see some shuffling around with second rowers playing in the centres, gagai to FB mamo to wing etc before that I think.

I don't get to watch much NSW Cup but I went along to watch Aku play at No. 2 sportsground last year and it was ridiculous how much better he was than that level, and he was on one leg.

7. member 2299

Retired
    Wrong slots. Mamo is fullback period.

8. jamesgould

No doubt it's a huge jump, look at how Ross carves up in NSW Cup, and he wasn't anything great in first grade.

Doesn't mean players don't deserve a chance if they stand out in NSW Cup, though.

9. Aidos

Aidos Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ross carves up in NSW Cup but he's always had a few glaring weaknesses in his game even at that level which were exposed even more in FG (like under the high ball for example),

Holland looks like a pretty well rounded player already. Great under pressure in defence yesterday, can find the try line, sets up his winger well and has some nice in and away footwork. Looks the goods as a centre and it will be interesting to see him hopefully after a full NRL pre-season.

10. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

17 tries in 16 games, debuted in Round 12 is a fantastic effort for a guy out of the local league. Haven't seen much of him but I look forward to any improvement over another year.

11. Billy

Tuha was ok last season, but has improved a lot., but his thing where he always goes for an intercept cost us against Wyong. They had obviously looked at the video and the centre held the ball and ran to where Tuha should have been defending to score - and he did it twice - the second time Tuha ended up 15 metres downfield watching him score.

12. member 2299

Retired
    Maybe so Billy but it got us home against the Mounties with that brilliant early intercept.. Swings and roundabouts. 15 meters reminds us of Uate, if you extend it to 25 meters!.

13. Billy

Tuha has scored a heap of tries off intercepts this year, but someone was always going to watch the video and work him out eventually.

14. jamesgould

15. Billy

Still no age for Holland.
    He looks pretty young, but the fact that no one gives his age is a worry.
    I hope Koopu gets one too. As far as I can see he hasn't had a chance to do a proper pre season with us either last year (when he was a mid season recruit for NYC) or this year, so he has pretty much got himself up to a very good standard at age 20. Other props the same age like Togiatasi and James Taylor got to train with the firstgrade squad last off season, and Koopu seems to have moved ahead of both of them without the same training, so I think he has earnt a shot.

16. jamesgould

17. Billy

23 is a good age.
    A few years younger than Mantellato and Ross were when given a chance.

18. member 2299

Retired
    And the surprising thing is he made his name with Singleton as a half back before going to the Goannas as a fullback/winger/centre.

19. jamesgould

Yeah I saw that while trying to track down his age! I also found out he trialed with us for under 18s back in 2009.

Definitely an interesting route!