Toohey's News

Seems Bulldogs and Tigers love paying overs for wingers/centers lol
Sad to see Lee go but im glad we not doing an Aku 2.0 again omg

Both him and Kidley were weapons under Smith and got destroyed by Bennett.

Seriously trying to make Uate into a tactical winger upset him, was the worlds best until than.

Vega was the man, get someone in the corner, kick to the head, throw, kick to the head throw. Or if they blocked the kick to the head do the slide.

I still remember my brothers raging when I'd just do that game in, game out lol.

Nah, Chun Li. Jump all over the place with kicks and if blocked jump away quickly, can jump off edge of screen for very high attack, has a hikoken, low heavy kick is brutal, has that upside down helicopter kick as well, and also the lightning kicks.

Both him and Kidley were weapons under Smith and got destroyed by Bennett.

Seriously trying to make Uate into a tactical winger upset him, was the worlds best until than.

Yep B Smith pioneered the roving playmaker role with him.

And than we brought in Boyd and had a sh!t fullback and sh!t half in Kids.

Between us and the Dragons, Bennetts lucky no fan has taken a swing at him.

• You are ignoring content by this member. Show Ignored Content - No thanks.

Sure its a post that's glowing with the nicest things to ay.

• You are ignoring content by this member. Show Ignored Content - No thanks.

Not too sure about that after he plucked their best players upon leaving and their finals record since.

It has been that way until the last couple seasons when there seemed a chance he could actually go back. Many of the fans I've seen online see him as the last time they were successful & they're getting desperate now becoming perennial losers.

It has been that way until the last couple seasons when there seemed a chance he could actually go back. Many of the fans I've seen online see him as the last time they were successful & they're getting desperate now becoming perennial losers.

Exactly. A lot of the fans only remember him as being successful for them and have wanted him back both times he has left his previous clubs.

I hope we never reach that stage :(

(Although we're unlikely to have McGregor as our coach for a decade)

In the latest podcast Gardner talks about junior pathways and tries to say it is O'Brien who wants to concentrate on developing future firstgraders rather than winning junior titles.
I'll call ******** on that.
We clearly had a change of focus to that policy from the day that Wests took over.
I don't know if it's Gardner's "plan", but it's clearly come from someone in the Wests organisation, and the way Gardner talked about it, he seems to be the champion for it.
In short, we were doing this 2 years before O'Brien arrived, and I've never seen any quote that would make me think O'Brien has put a lot of thought into anything but the top 30.

AOB talked about that being the way Melbourne runs their junior programs when he was on Toohey's podcast last year IIRC
Melbourne do it that way because they don't have juniors. They pick the eyes out of other systems and of course they would only look for future firstgraders.
The problem with that is that guys who were absolute champions at 16 include Mann, Sione, Brodie Jones, Brock Lamb etc, and guys you wouldn't look twice at when they were 16 are Dan Saifiti, Barnett, etc.
I saw Hudson Young turn in a MOTM performance last week and remembered he could hardly get a run in under 16s and we let him go to keep Kurtis Dark and Pasami Saulo.

Melbourne do it that way because they don't have juniors. They pick the eyes out of other systems and of course they would only look for future firstgraders.
The problem with that is that guys who were absolute champions at 16 include Mann, Sione, Brodie Jones, Brock Lamb etc, and guys you wouldn't look twice at when they were 16 are Dan Saifiti, Barnett, etc.
I saw Hudson Young turn in a MOTM performance last week and remembered he could hardly get a run in under 16s and we let him go to keep Kurtis Dark and Pasami Saulo.
We let him go for "off field" issues as well.

That's a nice way of putting it, haha.

I agree with the direction though. You're better off producing one genuine NRL player from your system every year than winning premierships at the age level.

Luke Yates, Lauclan Fitzgibbon and Mitch Barnett all played under 16s together.
Yates was the standout by a million miles. He made the NSW under 16s and 18s sides and was first picked every week for the Knights.
Fitz and Barny were lucky to get a game for the Knights and never made a rep team.
Yates never grew.
Fitz and Barny both grew 6 inches taller and developed into firstgraders.
If Yates had grown into Fitzgibbon size, he'd be a million dollar player now. As it is, he's one of the best in the ESL despite being a midget.
Anyway, trying to pick future champions at 16 works with freaks like Bradman Best, but the Saifiti's, Barnett, Fitz etc were nothing till they had a growth spurt in their late teens.

20/3/2021
Another big effort to talk up Pearce. Quotes Gardner as saying the club turned around when Pearce signed and he's been huge for us.

Green is about 2 weeks away from returning. Ponga a week or so later. Fitz and Lee a long way off still. Lee has just started running and has done almost no training since SOO.

27/3
The only real news is that early talks to re-sign Tex Hoy and Hymel Hunt have started.

Another puff piece on Pearce to go with the other 1000 this week.

Toohey has also decided to give a 3-2-1 player rating each game. This week 3 Best 2 Brailey 1 Barnett - last week 3 DSaf 2 Barnett 1 Klem

Signing Hoy now is a good move. He is improving quickly, but we'd still get him for reserve grade rates if we sign him now.
Another 10 games and we might have to add 100k a season if he goes well.

Back