Toohey's News

Some things out of the Gardner podcast today.

The centre of excellence is finally going to be started next week. mid 2022 finish date now.

They expect to make a profit for the 3rd year in a row.

Knights were within a few weeks of being relocated to Ipswitch or Redcliff.

NRL will not bail out a club again after spending 15 mill on the Knights. The other clubs wouldn't allow it.

Wests paid a total of $1 for the Knights.

Gardner is full of praise for Robbie Tew and Matt Gidley and says he couldn't have done as much work as Gidley did holding the club together with minimal resources.

In fact, he doesn't have a bad word to say about anyone, but comes very close when talking about Tinkler's "character flaws".

Tinkler had a few business flaws by the sounds of it as well. The only reason people can’t get the money that he owes them are because he doesn’t have any left to give them that isn’t hidden away somewhere under a families name or in an undisclosed bank account in another country.
No doubt he was a smart man but got carried away with the good fortune that he had which then led to him not listening to the people advising him and as mentioned bought out his character flaws.
I guess there was a reason he was called a boganairre.

It's interesting because I think he just paid people to get things done and that included the Knights/Jets.
When Clive Palmer bought a Gold Coast A League license (cant remember the name of the team?) He said he paid a certain amount then mentioned how Troy Palmer paid a a number of million more for the license of the Jets. And I imagine inteterestingly enough it was the same with the Knights.

Last edited:
The interesting thing out of it all was saying they decided brown wasn’t the right man when they took over and if didn’t have to replace so many people already would of got rid of him end of 18

His take on how close the Knights came to being relocated was just a guess there was never any substantial truth from him or anyone in the NRL that it would ever happen. The NRL were probably more hoping that it would get sorted so they wouldn't have to do it and be the good guys and be adamant that the Knights would never fold. Win win.

It's also good PR for Wests to look like the saviour even more so than they were.

Don't get me wrong, the Knights owe Wests a lot, but just maybe he is dramatizing it a little.

I don't think so Kurriboy. With a $15million debt picked up by the NRL, the other fifteen clubs would sell their grandmothers to get a 15th share of the money had the decision been theirs.

I don't think so Kurriboy. With a $15million debt picked up by the NRL, the other fifteen clubs would sell their grandmothers to get a 15th share of the money had the decision been theirs.

But the decision isn't theirs. And the NRL has spent plenty propping up other clubs just the same.

Re the possible relocation to Ipswich some years back, it makes sense that the club now has a pathways program with the Ipswich Jets.

Ponga needs a minor cleanup operation on his shoulder and has to decide if he will miss origin to have it early in the off season.

Klemmer is not considered an automatic selection for origin this year.

Club in the market for a 5/8 and a second row/prop if the right players become available.

10/10/20
Kostjaysyn promoted to Furner's role - Eric Smith will also get extra duties - a selection process is underway for coaches for 17s, 19s, 21s and reserve grade.

Sione could take up a multi year deal with St Helens. Former Knights coach and current St Helens coach Kristin Woolf is a Sione fan. Sione has 1 more year at the Knights but could take up a multi year deal instead.

Tautau Moga has been told he won't be signed and has no other NRL interest.

Toohey says Randall, Huth, Croker, King and Lino are "in limbo" till we know what the cap situation is. He doesn't mention Jones or Watson, which I take to mean they have deals on the table.

Implies the player swap rumour has no legs.

Interesting presser by Wayne Bennett last night.
He said "some teams" flogged their players over the covid break, and he didn't do that, because he wanted him team firing at this time of year.
Our guys were flogged over the covid break and ran out of steam about 6 weeks ago.
Souths weren't flogged and are hitting their peak now.
Olympic athletes and boxers to name a few take long breaks and train to peak at a set time, because people can't stay at peak fitness for months and months.
I think our guys will benefit a lot from this year because once you reach a level of fitness it's easier to get there again, so next year they will all get back to the level they reached this year without the same effort, but the guys were flogged for 9 or 10 months this year, and ran out of steam.

Back