Toohey's News

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by slotmachine, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Actually thought after BJ rated a mention but he did have 2 quality seasons before he went feral - does that offset him costing us Tapine as well?

Defender1 and ImissVuna like this.
  2. R_A

R_A Timana Tahu

Can't read it because of the paywall (bit laughable the media are still forcing people who are losing/lost jobs to pay in the mean time) but Phil Gardner is amongst the staff stood down by the Knights.

3. Keith M

Keith M David Boyd

Couldn’t find the one mentioned above but here is one about NIB
    MAJOR sponsor nib has committed to sticking by the Newcastle Knights, regardless of whether any more games are played in the 2020 NRL season.
    nib chief executive Mark Fitzgibbon told the Newcastle Herald on Monday that his company intends to honour its deals with the Knights, and AFL club Richmond Tigers, "in their time of greatest need".
    Both the NRL and AFL have been suspended indefinitely because of the coronavirus pandemic. Health fund nib has been associated with the Knights since the club's 1988 foundation season and has been naming-rights sponsor since 2017. The contract, reported to be worth more than $1 million a year, runs until at least the end of 2022
    We're taking a long-term view," Fitzgibbon said.
    "Hopefully this is a short-term hiccup. We'll obviously be talking to the Knights about other ways we can get brand exposure while there is no football being played. But it's important to say that our sponsorship of the Knights is not just about brand exposure and marketing.
    "We believe we're contributing to the community.
    "The Knights are our team, representing the Hunter."
    Fitzgibbon said he would understand if other sponsors decided to withdraw their support.
    "I wouldn't be unsympathetic if some sponsors made that decision," he said.
    "We're a big company. We have the capacity to support the Knights through this.
    "There might be some smaller sponsors whose work has dried up and they don't have the capacity. It's horses for course."

The Knights will welcome nib's pledge of loyalty at a time when they are facing a multi-million dollar downturn.

The Wests Group insist they will weather the storm better than most clubs, but last week the Knights stood down more than 50 employees, who will be paid up until the end of this month. Even new coach Adam O'Brien and his staff have been told to take unpaid leave.

NRL clubs learned on Monday that they will receive just $2.5 million each from the governing body, should the season fail to resume this year.
    The ARL Commission has guaranteed three months' funding for clubs after the latest emergency meeting.

That includes two months' pay for 480 players, to last the next seven months, if the rest of the season is wiped out.

The Rugby League Players' Association will meet the NRL again on Tuesday to accept or reject the deal.

ARLC chairman Peter V'landys remains hopeful the competition can resume in July.

4. Still_Nutty

Still_Nutty Jeff Doyle

Just as an aside and after the Tony Jones/Eddie Mcguire blow up last night, thought I'd ask Barry about the deductions for Knights season ticket holders - mine is due out tomorrow...

upload_2020-4-2_13-14-45.png

5. Lord of the Skraelings

Ring up and cancel the debit from your bank mate, sorry but if your paying for a ticketed membership, no way people should be out of pocket for it.

F--k Eddie he's loaded, most footy fans are not.

6. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

I'm sure the club is trying to think of ways to give paying members value for the money. Signed merchandise or something like that (off the top of my head).
    Maybe when things settle down they'll put on events for free or something.
    Eddie Mcguire is a hard person to like and agree with, but he has a point that fans need to stick by the club or it will fold.
    The only thing you get for your money is a club to follow when things settle down - unless the club can come up with something for little or no cost to give to fans.

ben and Lefty like this.
  7. cowboyman

cowboyman Tony Butterfield

Hospitality
    We had this discussion on the Cowboys forum a week or so ago.

I imagine clubs are waiting to get a clearer picture on how much or little footy will be played this year before cancelling memberships and handing out refunds. There really is no point in doing that now only for something to start up in a months time that’s being muted now.

I know it’s a bit of money that could really be handy for several families now so I understand that side of things as well.

Personally if I was a season ticket holder and due to not being in a family handicapped by a tight budget I think a good resolution would be to pay the monthly instalments as usual which helps keep the club afloat right now and then they adjust it in the following seasons so it evens out.

For example if only half a season gets played I’m then owed 6 home games so they can take it out over the following 2 seasons where I’m paying a full season season ticket adjusted to the price of 9 games instead of 12.

Obviously some families will want their money right now but I think that’s a viable option to give to the members as it helps everyone out in the long run.

8. Defender1

Defender1 Ben Kennedy

I'm happy to make my payments a donation to the club to keep it ticking along.

9. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Timana Tahu

I haven't done anything about my season ticket deductions etc. Not interested in worrying about it until we find out more about whats going to happen later, and what the club wants to do.

I was committed to paying it anyway. See what happens down the track.

Plus I am going to want those seats again next year, so if I can it, I assume I would lose the spot.

10. Lefty

Lefty Todd Bates

Retired
    Tyson Frizell will not join the Knights this year as the club’s roster is now full following the signing of Andrew McCullough.

McCullough still has a clause in his favour for next year with the Broncos.

Connor Watson is in the process of negotiating an extension to his contract.

Tex Hoy is likely to be the goal kicker against the Panthers.

Toohey thinks Best will play against the Panthers.

Matt Parsons suffered a compound fracture of his tibia and fibula when a tree he was cutting down fell on him.

http://www.newcastleherald.com.au/s...ar-frizells-early-release-shut-down/?cs=17639

11. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

Feel bad for Parsons. Feel worse for the tree though.

Still_Nutty, R_A and Frank McWilliams like this.
  12. Billy

We were never going to get Frizell early. It was nice to think about when we had nothing else going on, but Saints would be crazy to release one of their best.

Funny how the coach made signing centres his priority before he was familiar with our squad, and now he has 4 fighting over 2 spots. He can't really go wrong with who he selects - Best, Shiba, Tuala and Moga should all do the job if selected.

Ethan likes this.
  13. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

That’s the beauty of having depth, Billy. Competition for spots. Will only improve each player and everyone will be wanting to prove themselves and play their best.

14. Lord of the Skraelings

Bit off kilt, King looks a few off and is contract, is that stumps for him?

Wouldn't mind keeping him around on NSW cup money to be honest as the captain has a good head on his shoulders.

15. Lefty

Lefty Todd Bates

Retired
    Yes, would only keep him for NSW cup money.

16. Billy

We've only seen King play under Brown, and Brown gave him a role that made it pretty hard to shine (tackling dummy).
    I'd like to see him get a run under another coach, but sadly, O'Brien seems to have made up his mind on King. I think he was our only fit player who didn't get a run in our main trial.
    O'Brien wants a forward pack that can dominate with size and aggression I think, and King isn't what he is looking for.

17. EASBay17

EASBay17 Josh Perry

any chance we offer up king, saulo or jsaf to the warriors? i think there would be quite a few clubs trying to get their fringe players some game time, be interesting to know if we are looking at this.

18. Billy

O'brien said in his latest interview with Joey that he has players with 50-60-70 games of NRL who won't be in the top team that he'd like to lend to the Warriors to get them a game. As far as I can think, only King and Moga and maybe either Guerra or Sione are in that boat.

19. Ethan

Ethan Tony Butterfield

The way Jacob started the season he will be in the 17 but King Saulo and Sione could be lent out .

EASBay17 likes this.
  20. krustykraz

krustykraz Todd Bates

Mann could be in that group if he chooses to go with Tex or Crossland at 5/8.

Lefty likes this.