The stats that show Newcastle have been the NRL's worst team this decade

Realistically, even when we made the prelim, we had had an average year and finished seventh but managed two good wins come finals time to get there.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Very lucky to make the finals in 2013 at all. Panthers should have beat us three times over but put up an epic choke job and we got home 8-6. That one goes against us and we miss out.

Looked up the wins & losses record for the last decade 2 or 3 years ago & we were at least in the bottom 3 or 4. Definitely been an era of **** now. The perennial loser culture is ingrained into the club at the moment. I have no doubt it could all turn around in 1 season depending on luck & good decisions but it just hasn't happened.

If we didn’t put Rick Stone aside in 2012 after signing Bennett as head coach then we wouldn’t have had this clusterf**k of a decade.

If we didn’t put Rick Stone aside in 2012 after signing Bennett as head coach then we wouldn’t have had this clusterf**k of a decade.

With the benefit of hindsight, then sure. But no way in the world were we passing up signing Bennett, a multi-premiership winner, to keep an unproven Rick Stone. I dare say that if Bennett was available when Wests were looking at O'Brien and others, and he was keen for the job, then Bennett would still be a contender, if not the frontrunner. Personally, I like O'Brien based on his enthusiasm for the job and his potential. We'll see if the results follow though.

With the benefit of hindsight, then sure. But no way in the world were we passing up signing Bennett, a multi-premiership winner, to keep an unproven Rick Stone. I dare say that if Bennett was available when Wests were looking at O'Brien and others, and he was keen for the job, then Bennett would still be a contender, if not the frontrunner. Personally, I like O'Brien based on his enthusiasm for the job and his potential. We'll see if the results follow though.

Bennett had his go at coaching the Knights and it was unsuccessful. I’m sure he would not want to come back here and Wests would not want him.

As if. The Knights have been going downhill ever since Joey retired, Stone was just apart of the mediocrity. The closest we got to turning it around was the Smith years. It was a bit of a makeshift team of rejects brought together but they seemed to really have an identity & were building.

Bennett had his go at coaching the Knights and it was unsuccessful. I’m sure he would not want to come back here and Wests would not want him.

Yeah, I doubt he'd come back. But I think Wests would still take him. Look at how they flipped their stance on Ramien. It's all a moot point though I suppose.

Yeah, I doubt he'd come back. But I think Wests would still take him. Look at how they flipped their stance on Ramien. It's all a moot point though I suppose.

Yes, they certainly flipped their stance on Ramien. They really damaged their credibility by doing that.

Yes, they certainly flipped their stance on Ramien. They really damaged their credibility by doing that.

I honestly have no idea why they did. Either commit to the decision already made or make some moves in the background without being so overt about it. Shows there's a big difference between running a licensed club and running a football club. Gardner was in the media too much around that time for my liking.

I honestly have no idea why they did. Either commit to the decision already made or make some moves in the background without being so overt about it. Shows there's a big difference between running a licensed club and running a football club. Gardner was in the media too much around that time for my liking.

I totally agree. I think Gardner should maintain a low profile with the media. Brian Canavan should be the main frontman for club management, even if Gardner is calling all the shots behind the scenes.

As if. The Knights have been going downhill ever since Joey retired, Stone was just apart of the mediocrity. The closest we got to turning it around was the Smith years. It was a bit of a makeshift team of rejects brought together but they seemed to really have an identity & were building.
To me we went to go downhill at the end of the 2003 season when Michael Hagan began to dismantle the 2001 premiership winning team that Warren Ryan had built.
Same year Joey suffered from that neck injury towards the end of that year’s season which would later bite him on the arse and force to end his career in 2007.

Every year and I've got no doubt we'll hear it again before round 1 next year that the pre season was savage, we're the fittest and strongest we've ever been etc etc etc. How come we always look unfit, smaller and weaker than most other teams ? From in front of the TV the difference between us and how the Eels and Raiders looked on the weekend is huge. Maybe this teams warm up that seems to go on forever needs to be looked at. Has to be some reason we look gassed so quickly most weeks.

I took that more as an indictment of Browns handling of Ramien than a reversal of Wests decision.

From the language Brown used to describe the Ramien firing it was Brown that made the call.

But, it wasnt a good look for the club firing him, then firing the coach and trying to get Ramien back, and him saying no. Train wreck.

Back