The Australian Open Thread

Hewitt's Open closed by Djokovic
By Darren Walton
January 21, 2008 IT was lights out early for sleep-deprived Lleyton Hewitt, Novak Djokovic ending his Australian Open campaign with a crushing straight-sets win at Melbourne Park.

Forced to back up from his controversial 4.34am Sunday finish, Hewitt was unable to repeat his third-round heroics and slumped to a 7-5 6-3 6-3 defeat at the hands of Serbia's fast-rising world No.3.

Facing a quick turnaround with his body clock all out of whack, Hewitt returned to Rod Laver Arena with concerns about his ability to recover from his epic four-and-three-quarter-hour battle with Marcos Baghdatis as debate continued to rage over whether Open officials should have even sent him on court 11 minutes before midnight Saturday.

But it was Hewitt who looked the sharper early on, Australia's former world No.1 breaking a shaky Djokovic in the fourth game of the match to open up a 4-2 lead.

He had an another break-point opportunity the next game to forge a 5-2 advantage, but missed his big chance and then promptly dropped his own serve to love to allow Djokovic back on level terms.

It was the only invitation Djokovic needed, the third seed breaking Hewitt again in the 12th game to snare the opening set.

Hewitt, though, continued to play confidently and again claimed the first service break in the second set to go ahead 2-1.

Alas for Hewitt, Djokovic raised his level to reel off four straight games and jump out to a 5-2 lead before calmly closing out the set.

Djokovic, runner-up to Roger Federer at the US Open last September, motored through the third set with two more service breaks to set up a quarter-final against Spanish fifth seed David Ferrer.

For Hewitt, his 12th unsuccessful title tilt ended in less than two-and-a-half hours.

Djokovic admitted to suffering from serious butterflies against Australia's last remaining singles hope, but felt he was able to exploit Hewitt's fatigue.

“The fact was Lleyton plays his best tennis at the Australian Open. He was very motivated to win it and I was very, very, very nervous,†the 20-year-old said.

“But he was tired from his match against Marcos Baghdatis and I tried to seize the opportunity.â€

AAP

I didn't even bother to watch it, and I can't say that i'm upset that he is out, although it would have been good for aus to see him go a bit further

Watched the Hewitt game the watched most of Molik in the doubles,anyone know how it finished up ??

shamz said:
Watched the Hewitt game the watched most of Molik in the doubles,anyone know how it finished up ??

yea i watched both games...Hewitt just never got going. I guess the late night finish affected him alil.

I agree he is a whinging choker, but if he is like me, he can't sleep during the day so really he missed a whole nights sleep but didn't make it up. He would have been tired

Still he cant complain, he is an athlete with over 20 million dollars? Like seriously, he had no chance against Djokovic anyway?

Yea , she;s a mad player ey ;)
Sharapova should win easily this year i think, and the Mens, hmm, Federer if he survives Blake tonight.

And Ivanovic wins in straight sets. 7-6, 6-4

She now faces Hantuchova. Should be a good match.

Back