Someone dumps a bucket on Bennett

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Billy, May 16, 2020.

1. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

2. packo

packo :) (:

Government
    I can’t cop him. He can’t coach. Every team he has had is full of top players.

What annoys me the most is, that mainstream media somehow let his tenure with us slide and is still hailed as a great coach.

We had one of the best fullbacks in the game when he came to us. Running for 200 metres a game, busting his backside. Which is what fans loved seeing in Gidley. He showed how bad of a coach he was when he then went and signed Boyd. I can’t remember what big names were off contract at the time but they would have been a more appropriate signing.

He practically ruined Gidleys reputation for the way he used to play.

3. alexwilliams

alexwilliams Matt White

Wood machinist
    He did the same with Uate too

4. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Bennett wouldn't have got a wooden spoon because all the high paid geriatrics would have stayed and put in a bit of an effort, instead of dogging it, but his policies were never going to get us anything but middle of the table finishes.

On the other hand, the junior system designed by Bennett and Graham Murray and put in place by people like Pezet and Dureau is the reason we have the most successful junior system right now. Although, Bennett probably doesn't deserve a lot of credit for spending a few hours with Murray and throwing up a few ideas.

5. R_A

R_A Timana Tahu

There isn't really much point of saying 'what if' Bennett coached out 2015 because that was contingent on the HSG's control of the Knights and being his direct employer, and paying him. When that wasn't there, Bennett wasn't going to coach the team for probably half (of his salary there) of what could be afforded to him and even that is being generous. And that is minus whatever bonuses he had for finals appearances/wins and a GF win.

Effectively he is just seen as a really solid man manager for teams who are good enough to be in the Finals but just need to make the next step. That's why I think Gus wanted to bring him in for two years before Cleary came back, but was denied and the Souths got him instead with a similar roster and potential.

There does seem to be a bit of a trend even going back to his first exit at the Broncos that his recruitment and retention decisions seem, sometimes questionable at best. He didn't want to pay a club legend like Petero Civoneciva but was happy to bring in Joel Clinton as his replacement who was arguably worse.
    Then of course there are others that followed, at the Dragons, Knights and Broncos again.

6. R_A

R_A Timana Tahu

I think he got a bit unlucky with the McKinnon incident in 2014, as did the entire team and their mental state afterwards going forward. A rare first in the modern game (but unsurprising involving a tackle by the Melbourne Storm).
    We probably all didn't think about how it would affect the team/players but after hearing what some former players have said it's hard to comprehend unless you were sort of in their shoes.

I think the fans are coming around to what Knights fans may have been thinking about him after he left. I know the Broncos fans I spoke to when it was towards the end of his time in 2018 and then 2019 got pretty sick of him by the time he left.

Poor Seibold has a fullback that doesn't put in (like he did when he was at the Knights) as well as an injury prone Bird, amongst other interesting decisions made.

But as always, Bennett's echo chambers reign supreme

But what doesn't is 3 Premiereships since 2000, and one in the last decade.

7. Owey

Owey Max Chapman

2014 was the year from hell. After the 2013 prelim, Bennett said we were short a big body and recruited Russell Packer who never plays a game for us. Then Alex. Then players weren't getting paid on time and their super would go missing as the Tinkler empire collapses. Then the coach wanted out. Rick Stone is then handed the poison chalice, no chance of recruiting anyone meaningful. In spite of what you think of Browny's short comings, and i agree the time was right to move on ladt year, I thank him for his patience and the club for its patience with him.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

ASJ82 and R_A like this.
  8. R_A

R_A Timana Tahu

Don’t tell the Sydney media that truth though haha.

Think his reputation took a hit for the way he handled his second exit at the Broncos. Similar to the first way. He had a plan and the Broncos didn’t like it and said no (I.e. his ego wasn’t stroked enough) but this time around he made them draw first blood.

Funny from the outside looking in but probably frustrating for the clubs fans

9. R_A

R_A Timana Tahu

It’s funny listening to Bennett trying to defend himself with the way he left that Broncos roster yet not really giving away anything at the same time.

Anyone who thinks Bennett doesn’t have close to full control over the playing roster has their head in the sand. Did the same thing at the Souths even though he said he wasn’t going to bring his own staff and players in etc.

The funny thing is Broncos fans never thought it was going to happen but need to get used to the fact that the modern game of recruitment and retention and scouting is far more different then when Bennett was coaching when he had hair.

packo likes this.
  10. Owey

Owey Max Chapman

Gotta agree with Wayne to some extent this time. He had every intention of coaching the Broncos last year, it wasn't his choice to move on.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

11. R_A

R_A Timana Tahu

Don’t have a problem with Bennett wanting to continue coaching but he was trying to dictate his own terms on who replaces him and when he leaves.
    He was only contracted for 2019 but wanted 2020 as well with the plan to phase Demetriou in after
    The board said no to this.
    Bennett kicked a stink and tried to get out early.

Thought he would have learned after 2008 but it seems not...

Looks like he is getting that extra year at the Souths though it seems