So - like Penrith - what did Stone mean?

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
The only clue Stone has given to his new recruiting policy is saying Penrith did it well in the last few years.
I could add that Wyong has recruited pretty well this year.

My thought is that Stone and Rip Taylor have both spent the last few years running their eyes over all the talent in the NSW cup. Last year Penrith signed up a bunch of under rated guys - sort of a "money ball" strategy, and Stone is in a unique position to know who is available.

I might have it totally wrong, but I think Mataora is the first wave of about 6 under rated reserve graders we are going to sign to replace all our old men.

Too me established solid first graders, not stars just people who will be good clubman.

Also a non d!ckhead, non bighead policy.

Also building a champion team and not a team of champions.

Too me established solid first graders, not stars just people who will be good clubman.

Also a non d!ckhead, non bighead policy.

Also building a champion team and not a team of champions.

Exactly. We don't want a repeat of having players like Darius Boyd or Russell Packer to come here to ruin the clubs image. Signing up a handful of solid first grade players feels like what Newcastle should be doing rather than signing marquee players, which I believe Stone wants to take this direction.

If he really wants to follow Penrith's plan, he'd cut one of our highest paid players in Gidley or offer him a smaller deal and use the other money elsewhere. Cleary got rid of two local juniors in Lewis and Jennings because they were on overs and made multiple astute pickups from that extra cash. Now they have assembled a competitive top 8 team with those recruits and it will only improve with the nursery of juniors they have coming through. I'd love for us to follow that model, but I don't reckon we have the balls to pull it off.

Last edited:
His brother is our CEO mate, you've gotta work with the office to a degree and comming out and attacking Matt's brother is something even Bennett with his autonomy was loath to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly. We don't want a repeat of having players like Darius Boyd or Russell Packer to come here to ruin the clubs image. Signing up a handful of solid first grade players feels like what Newcastle should be doing rather than signing marquee players, which I believe Stone wants to take this direction.

2 props, 1 decent backrower and we've got the rest covered.

it means marquee players will never come to newcastle, so he has to recruit like penrith

managing expectations like a pro

Last edited:
Not quite in agreement your Lordship, but in a similar vein.

Three props and a half back. Tyrone to No. 9. Tariq Sims will fill in the backrower.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2486078/rick-stone-keeps-faith-in-knights-production-line/?cs=306

Article about juniors.

What isn't said is that probably the only benefit we have seen from Tinkler money is the strength of our junior system at the moment. Without the extra money that has been spent I don't think we would have seen Sione ready for firstgrade at 18 or Brock Lamb having a kicking game most firstgrade halves would envy at 16, and we wouldn't have players like Levi, Petersen-Robati, Pondekas or Tapine.
I haven't heard if we are going to keep spending the same sort of money in future years, but I suspect we aren't, and really this year's and next year's NYC sides will see the best junior production we can expect.

If he really wants to follow Penrith's plan, he'd cut one of our highest paid players in Gidley or offer him a smaller deal and use the other money elsewhere. Cleary got rid of two local juniors in Lewis and Jennings because they were on overs and made multiple astute pickups from that extra cash. Now they have assembled a competitive top 8 team with those recruits and it will only improve with the nursery of juniors they have coming through. I'd love for us to follow that model, but I don't reckon we have the balls to pull it off.

Gidley only has one year left anyway, same with Snowden, and Boyd will be gone soon. That's a huge chunk of our salary cap there ... it will take an extra year for them to go, but it's not like there's much around worth signing for 2015 anyway.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2486078/rick-stone-keeps-faith-in-knights-production-line/?cs=306

Article about juniors.

What isn't said is that probably the only benefit we have seen from Tinkler money is the strength of our junior system at the moment. Without the extra money that has been spent I don't think we would have seen Sione ready for firstgrade at 18 or Brock Lamb having a kicking game most firstgrade halves would envy at 16, and we wouldn't have players like Levi, Petersen-Robati, Pondekas or Tapine.
I haven't heard if we are going to keep spending the same sort of money in future years, but I suspect we aren't, and really this year's and next year's NYC sides will see the best junior production we can expect.

Maybe all the grandstand jockeys that go on about more local juniors needed can do a bit more to support the Club financially. Everyone wants more and better but not everyone puts their hand in their pocket .

Gidley only has one year left anyway, same with Snowden, and Boyd will be gone soon. That's a huge chunk of our salary cap there ... it will take an extra year for them to go, but it's not like there's much around worth signing for 2015 anyway.

Snowden should be hitting his prime now. He has a lot more then a year left in him ;)

Back