Site's Adversity

Discussion in 'Forum Support & Site Announcements' started by Ms.Nobody, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Fungus

Fungus Steve Simpson

Like all thing, it depends on the situation, I reckon. Some posts are way overboard and I believe should be deleted.

2. Pumba

Pumba John Morris

HELL NO!

IMO I don't want this forum to go all Political Correctness

Exactly, Smith said everyone has a opinion so let it be I say. As long as we aren't saying A player is on drugs or a player is cheating on his wife ETC. Then let it be!

Brian is that you? LOL Welcome to the forums.

3. Gidleys-my-knight08

Gidleys-my-knight08 The future Mrs Joey Johns

Student
    I think, you should be allowed to express you opinion but dont pick on someone, or be slack about them.
    (if that makes sense)

4. ~knights1~

~knights1~ Ben Kennedy

some people did take it too far

always mentioning about wicks's weight

I always felt awful reading stuff like that ...it's just too personal IMO

5. Fungus

Fungus Steve Simpson

Let's say it this way.

I reckon you shouldn't say something on the forum or the net for that matter that you wouldn't be able to say straight to the person's face. Don't hide behind the alias.

6. Gidleys-my-knight08

Student
    Yep, well said. Agreed.
    & if someone says something bad about a player relating to weight issues or racist or anything not to do with perfomance wise they should be banned for a few days.

7. Joey

Joey Newcastle since 1997

Positive comments!

8. pommieknight

pommieknight I am Danny Weidler!!

Carer, creative ....... in that order!
    I wouldn't want to see the opportunity to write what I think taken away. If I think a player's not performing, putting in enough effort, behaving in a way that is unprofessional or any other opinion; I want the opportunity to write that here. That's what I think a forum like this is for.

I'm not daft. I know what is and isn't acceptable behaviour towards another person. I know that there is a line that should not be crossed, therefore I don't cross it. However, players and staff from the Knights put themselves in the spotlight. They know that sportspeople get criticised and praised by the people who support sports. It's just that the internet gives a public voice to what would, previously, have been a number of private conversations in the pub or at the water cooler. A forum like this gives people a chance to have those conversations with other people from outside their immediate circle who support the same team. It also provides the Knights with an opportunity to reply at any time (within the rules of the forum).

Unfortunately, some people will post before they think, or will just be malevolent enough to deliberately offend an individual. That's why we have moderators but, remember, we're not professional moderators. We're just a bunch of people who try and do the right thing. If we err on the side of caution occasionally then so be it, but I wouldn't want to be part of a sanitised forum. We can't just say nice things because someone might get hurt. That's not open forum. As moderators, we will continue to endeavour to keep the forum within boundaries but we're not lawyers.

As for why any media outlet would choose to use opinions given here as ammunition for whichever particular story they're putting out is a question for the editorial staff concerned. A newspaper has to sell copies - that's their reason to exist. If selling copies means printing the opinions of a minority of people (which is what we are) to fit whatever story they're printing then that's exactly what they'll do. I would hope that the Knights can see that people here are passionate about the club and want to see success. But they'll have to get used to the fact that people here won't get on with everything that happens.

9. Gidleys-my-knight08

Student
    Strongly Agreed!

10. Joey

Joey Newcastle since 1997

I think that sometimes we attack players in the heat of the moment. If they give away a crucial penalty or something.

11. Denno

Denno Matthew Johns

Opinions are opinions. I don't think it's worth changing anything. If it's personal, then yeah.

I know if I'm a player I don't care about criticism from fans, the criticism from coaches and management or selectors is what matters.

12. Newcastle Forever

Newcastle Forever NEW-CAS-TLE

Baker
    I think sports players should be open to criticism. But we should not go over the top.

:love:

13. beez

beez Dairi Kovae

I'm with macavity on this one. Personally I think I support the team/players on here more than I criticise them but if I think they're performing poorly then I'll rip into them. Personally I see criticism as a sign that I want changes for the better and this to me is supporting the team. I don't criticise under performing players from other teams because I simply don't care about them.

And jokes about Wicks and donuts etc- that's all good - any reasonable person would have a laugh at this good natured ribbing, I'm sure his teammates would be saying the same sort of thing.

Racist remarks, dodgy rumours should obviously not be tolerated but I think you're thinking a little too PC. Remember these are league players we're talking about.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for getting along but I think you're taking a couple of comments from Brian Smith about web forums a little too seriously.

14. Greek Knight

Greek Knight Kade Snowden

there is a way to criticize a player constructively without being offensive. we all speak out mind on this forum but should take into account "how" we word things, whether it be here or another forum.

15. Pumba

Pumba John Morris

Well said!

16. Fungus

Fungus Steve Simpson

Yeah, that's the way. Be critical but not too personal.

17. jamesgould

jamesgould Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

He's not fat ... it's a glandular thing haha.

I don't think anyone here has gone overboard in criticising a player, except maybe everyone ripping into MacDougall every single thread at the start of the year (but we all know MacDougall is close to my heart haha).

I don't see a problem, keep it up all.

18. jamesgould

Quite right, this has got to be one of the most supportive boards out there. I know you don't like the lack of criticism macavity, but I think it's just that many of us feel very positive about things ... I wouldn't think it is any sort of reluctance to criticise because of where they were posting.

19. macavity

macavity The Enemy

Lawyer
    in conclusion,

danny wicks is fat.

20. jamesgould

He's not fat. I would use the word rotund.