Sione, Jake and Joe - NSW cup or NYC?

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Lower Grades' started by Billy, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

There was talk last year that the best juniors might play NSW cup this year.
    I think it would be better to have these guys getting some time in NSW cup, partly because it would help them get used to playing against seniors, and partly because I think Stone is a great coach for rookies and our NYC coach doesn't impress me at all.
    I also think Joe Tapine could play firstgrade if we have a couple of injuries.
    Sione might be a bit young though. He could still play SG Ball this weekend if they wanted him to.
    Danny Levi looks close to being ready too.

2. Joel

Joel Touche...

Without them our NYC team would be awful.

I think now with Newton's injury we will see a lot of Tapine in NSW Cup which can only be a good thing, very McKinnon like except he doesn't even need to make the transition to the middle of the field at his age.

Depending on where Minto plays, I'd like to definitely like to see Sione get given some game time in reserves but I'm thinking he will start in the centres.

Mamo has imo pushed past Mantellato, so a NSW Cup spot is inevitable this year. We kinda have to make these sacrifices from our NYC team because honestly these juniors are some of the most promising in a long time.

3. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Yeah, who cares about NYC tbh.

4. footin mouth

footin mouth Tony Kemp

We have all fallen in love with Jake Mamo therefore we have no use for Mantellato - sell him to the highest bidder.

5. Afro Zac

Afro Zac Todd Bates

If it was up to me personally. I'd simply sit them down and have a chat to each of them separately about what required from them if they do step up, and what to expect and so on and then just ask them if they think their up for it.

Throwing young talented players straight into the deep to play week in week out is a great way to stuff certain players development and confidence.

Yea sure they've played trials games and the 9s, but doing it week in, week out with a bunch of fully developed men is a different story physically and mentally.

6. Junior11

Junior11 Moderator Moderator

I think Tapine should be there especially now Newton is out. The earlier forwards get used to playing against the big boys the better. And as much as Mamo and Sione deserve to be in the side, I don't see a spot for them quite yet and they're 2 players who we really have to bring up carefully. I can see them playing half the season in the NYC and half the season in NSW Cup. Who cares about how their absence will effect the NYC side, it's about their development and getting them ready to be first graders and if it takes playing in the NSW Cup to do that then it's more than a worthwhile sacrifice for the U20's. With nowhere else for Pat, Channel, Mantellato, Minto, Tahu to go it's going to be hard to fit them in but when they get their chance I'm sure it'll be tough to put them back.

7. Joel

Joel Touche...

Tahu is still injured and my guess is that throughout the season there will always be one vacant spot with the players you just named.

8. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

**** NYC, if they're good enough, play them in NSW Cup.