Should Players Be Rested This Season?

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by krustykraz, Jun 8, 2020.

1. krustykraz

krustykraz Clint Newton

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to rest players throughout the season?
    Because there is no NSW the players that we will eventually need will need a run.
    Also there is no byes or SSO this season.
    Resting players worked well for the Roosters last year and Obi was no doubt a part of that.

Im thinking guys like Saulo, Shiba, Randall, Lino, Crossland, Toa, Etc, will need some game time. And when Fitz, Watson & Barny are back other players will be out of the 17.

What do you guys think?

2. packo

packo :) (:

Government
    I would like to see players rested more, always thought the nrl season is way too long.

I think it actually gives a squad as a whole more of a team feel as opposed to 17 and players and could actually be more beneficial for us.

Players like Pearce, Ponga id like to see play Every game. Always thought it is important for players to play in their position too, that’s one thing Obi has done that Brown didn’t

3. The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd

The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd Ben Donaldson

Asset Manager
    Definitely I think rotation to keep the harder working bodies is a good idea and it also keeps the broader squad very engaged and motivated. You have to wonder if OB has already indicated this strategy to the boys noting the quality and determination of fringe players coming in like Jones and Hoy.

packo likes this.
  4. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

I think he rested Randall this week, and the way he talked about Fitz, he is already running and would probably be OK next week, but will not be rushed back.

I also suspect that Mann could play next week if we really needed him to, but we'll give him time to heal and use someone else.

Lefty likes this.
  5. packo

Government
    Yep you want an entire squad to feel as though they are a part of it. Not 17. Herman’s performances is proof of that. Our players look fit, especially our forwards.

6. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Steve Simpson

Certainly, Depending on how we are travelling mid season, I'd look at resting Pearce and Ponga for a game. Looking at the draw, Round 11 against the Bulldogs at home would be my pick, or round 16 against the Warriors is another chance to rest players if not a little too late in the season with only 4 rounds left from the semi's.

Other players can be rested throughout the year without as bid an impact.

7. knightime

knightime Shane Mackley

I'm on board with the idea. We have better depth this year to give us the luxury of resting some players. Not sure where I heard it, but I recall Obi saying something along the lines of a successful season requires the whole squad of 30 contributing, not just the top 17.

Can't afford to be complacent against the lower teams, but it'd be good exposure for some of the upcoming players as well. Soon enough, if we have regular success, we'll be losing players to other teams like the Storm and Roosters do, however if we can keep developing players like they do, we can manage that.

8. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
  9. TheBatman

TheBatman Trent Hodkinson

Can we maybe make the finals for the first time since 2013 before we discuss resting players. The Roosters were absolutely loaded with talent and coming off a premiership. Earn it, then talk rest.

Lord of the Skraelings and Owey like this.
  10. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Yeah we're going off a bit early. It's been 4 games, a long way to go. The team has to really prove it to us that it's the real deal. We looked like world beaters last year for a period, Pearce getting multiple man of the matches in a row only for it to come crashing down so sadly.

11. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Simple. Best, fittest 18 available each and every week.

12. packo

Government
    Going off early, or is that a reason why our run came crashing down? Were our players to comfortable, would some of them been hungrier with a week off?

13. Warcrow

Warcrow Cameron Ciraldo

I can see the benefit in resting players throughout the year, but that's only okay with me if the replacement is of similar quality or near enough. If we were to rest the likes of Pearce etc then I'd rather that was done against a top tier team so we can bank the should be "easy" 2 point games, especially as we only play the Titans/Dogs/Dragon's one each.

14. Warcrow

Warcrow Cameron Ciraldo

....I just want to be in the finals this year, please!

15. packo

Government
    we are on track brother, but we do t want to be making up numbers.

16. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Exactly, lets not be stupid and complicate it. If someone's got a niggle and we are winning for sure give them a week, but resting for the sake of resting is idiocy.

17. The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd

The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd Ben Donaldson

Asset Manager
    I think League as a sport is a late adopter (if at all) for squad rotation. I don’t see it as a subject of over confidence or disrespect to the weekly opponent. Rather a tactical move focusing on the season rather than the week. OB said himself this is a squad that must all perform for success not just a cut and paste 1-17. The subject is also more relevant now more than ever given there’s no reserve grade. As already mentioned, fittest and in form gets the spot. Some you’d have to give benefit of the doubt to like Pearce, Ponga and Klem. Also worth considering that some players may be more suited to trouble the opposition than others. I like the idea and wouldn’t mind seeing more of it.
    #inobiwetrust

18. Owey

Owey Max Chapman

There's wet rust in Obi? Hope he's ok...

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

19. Owey

Owey Max Chapman

I agree with what you say about squad rotation. We always talk about burn out, I've thought for a while we should go to two full rounds with some midweek games and leave it up to the coaches as to how they nurse a squad through a season. It happens in the premier league with cup and European matches thrown in.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk