Sadly it's that time, your team for 2020

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Lord of the Skraelings, Aug 15, 2019.

1. The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd

The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd Jason Moodie

Asset Manager
    Who is the better defender? I’d say Fitz may be more at risk. Barnett has played left edge well before.

2. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

3. alexwilliams

alexwilliams Adrian Shelford

Wood machinist
    I thought the same. Guerra and Barnett would make a good starting back row.

4. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Fitz had really seemed to have turned the corner at the end of 2018 with his defence. He was our best defender in a few games. At the start of 2019 he was nearly as good, but he was one of the players who stopped putting in their best effort and his defence dropped off.
    At his best, i'd have Fitz over Barnett, but Barnett puts in a good effort every week and Fitz is hot and cold.

5. The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd

The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd Jason Moodie

Asset Manager
    Barnett it is then. Would rather the consistent player in the starting line up.

6. krustykraz

krustykraz Todd Bates

A little left field but this is what I suspect the team will look like for round 1,
    1.Ponga
    2.Lee
    3.Best
    4.Shibasaki
    5.Hunt
    6.Mann
    7.Pearce
    8.Klem
    9.Brailey
    10.Glasby
    11.Guerra
    12.Barnett
    13.Ese

14.Watson
    15.D.Saf
    16.Fitz
    17.Sione/J.Saf

7. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Looking at that team we're pretty thin on forwards with much experience. Really only King after that.

8. cowboyman

cowboyman Tony Butterfield

Hospitality
    Very thin on a decent backline as well. Really relying on one or two of the kids to stand up this season.

slotmachine likes this.
  9. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Yeah good point, outside of Lee, Hunt and Moga (with a big ?) the rest have about 30 first grade games between them.

10. cowboyman

cowboyman Tony Butterfield

Hospitality
    Or god forbid Sione gets pushed back out into the centres

11. krustykraz

krustykraz Todd Bates

They must really see something in Shibasaki to sign him for 3 years. That's why I think he'll be in the team.
    I'll wait to see how he performs before I can judge.

Hopefully players with history of injuries like Best, Moga and Toa can stay fit and our depth should be fine.

It will be interesting to see where they spend Levi's 300k if he signs with Manly.

12. R_A

R_A Mark Hughes

13. Rob

Rob Charlie McAlister

Barnett’s edge got tore up a few times last year, in particular by Luke Brooks. Fitz may name lucky to have Pearce and Hunt outside him but that will prob change this year. All depends who is 5/8, if it’s Watson, I’d be ok with Barnett but the Mann and Lino both struggled, maybe through injury...

14. Simon Templar

Simon Templar Dean Carney

Project Manager
    You know Billy , I would be very surprised to hear that Guera wasn't leading by example at training, he came here to add a bit of experience to the squad and lead by example, as it says in the article he is only 10 shy of 200 NRL games , it takes a special type to have that milestone on their resume.

We seem to forget that his sabbatical last year wasn't because he stopped trying, more that he was trying too hard by competing hard to cover a team members misfortune and he snapped his leg being where he had no right to be.

I took the liberty to read the attached article and the gesture he made for the Fire Appeal mentioned, shows the calibre of a man he is, too often we say that the media doesn't focus on the Good stories of Players in the Sport , well this is a Good News story , with a little research I found that one of the jerseys on offer was from a game where he became the only Qld player to score 50 points against NSW - must be worth something to the Qlders.

15. Simon Templar

Simon Templar Dean Carney

Project Manager
  16. R_A

R_A Mark Hughes

They don't focus on good stories because it doesn't sell papers and clicks. If you look at local club websites there is plenty of good stuff clubs are doing, including the Knights who went up to help the farmers.

Compare that to last year when the media had a field day with it all. And the telecrap were sniffing around trying to find out where clubs were having their Mad Monday celebrations so they could have another 'scandal'

Instead we have to hear about the latest Latrell Mitchell rumours which no one cares about anymore, and what every teams Round 1 lineup could be along with hypothetical line up decisions a coach has to make.

17. Ethan

Ethan Tony Butterfield

1.Ponga
    2.Lee
    3.Moga
    4.Hunt
    5.Best
    6.Mann
    7.Pearce
    8.Klem
    9.Brailey
    10.Daniel S
    11.Barnett
    12.Fitzy
    13.Guerra

14.Watson
    15.Glasby
    16.Ese,ese
    17.Jacob S
    My guess at rd1 starting side .

18. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Like that team Ethan but swap Ese for Guerra for mine. Than have Crosslands come in sometime soon rounds 4-6.

Ethan likes this.
  19. Ethan

Ethan Tony Butterfield

I had Ese,ese at 13 but changed it because if Obrien is thinking of maybe Watson playing at 13 ... Then he is looking at a more mobile pack and Guerra is at least as mobile as Ese,ese and is a better defender imo. It also gives us 3 good sized forwards on the bench with Watson .

20. luke46

luke46 Scott Carter

I reckon Watson is training at 9 and 13 incase brailey plays 80 he can come on and play 20 minutes in the middle when everyone is tired... I.e. Brandon Smith, ponga in origin, papenhuzen for storm, etc

Ethan likes this.