Rumour: Kalyn Ponga set to re-sign with the Knights

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by mullenmagic, Apr 6, 2019.

1. cowboyman

cowboyman Tony Butterfield

Hospitality
    And done nothing there. He ain’t a prop. Just like Lee ain’t a fullback.

Will do a job just wouldn’t be a good one.

2. Ethan

Ethan Ben Kennedy

Guerra at prop played ok he is only a fill in when needed but played well there . Lee when he played F/B he played good footy and didn't look out of place there at all .
    Also you'll have to excuse me if I don't rate a damned thing you say after (1) Obi wan and Alex McKinnon both said they are impressed with Shibisaki's defence and that Alex was researching him and watching him for quite some time and (2) you let Ponga go .
    Ok Listen to you or them , you or them . sorry mate you lose big time .

3. cowboyman

Hospitality
    Go see what Broncos fans think of Shibasaki then. Plus I would know as well seeing as though he is from Townsville.

Again you know nothing. We didn’t let Ponga go he took up the more lucrative offer. Letting him go would mean we didn’t offer a contract which wasn’t the case.

You think Lee would do a good job at fullback. Speaks volumes of your knowledge (or lack thereof) of the game.

4. Ethan

Ethan Ben Kennedy

I don't give a rats arse what Bronco's fans say about him go on the dogs kennel and see what they say about Klem.
    You knew he was a superstar in the making but didn't want to keep him bad enough so you let him go ...
    Mate I don't give a flying xxxx what you think ...
    We Watched Lee do a good job at f/b for a game and he played well and seeing i'm Agreeing with the Article about F/b and Lee and also saying the same thing about Shibisaki as our coach and recruitment officer then you'll excuse me if I just dismiss what you say as the ravings of a disgruntled opposition supporter that enjoys stirring up crap on opposition forums.

Also imo the absolute last thing you should do is roast someone for there perceived (by you) lack of football knowledge . Ive been reading your posts for a long time and believe me when I say YOU telling anyone else they have a lack of footy knowledge is Laughable .

5. cowboyman

Hospitality
    Gee whiz dogs obviously jealous losing a rep forward and one of their own as opposed to the broncos fans happy to see a dud leave the team where there was no positive comments on him before signing the knights contract.

There’s a salary cap mate. Cowboys were in no position to offer a rookie 700k with multiple stars and internationals unlike your mob. We knew what a talent he was. Signed a contract with us when he was 15 with the guarantee of being in the top 25 squad in the 3rd year of that contract.

Your lack of knowledge is clear and obvious for all to see.

6. knightime

knightime Wayne Richards

Good chat, this.

cowboyman likes this.
  7. The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd

The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd Leo Dynevor

Asset Manager
    Catty Cowgirl stirring the pot and others biting. Sure does bang on a lot for someone that doesn’t care.

cowboyman likes this.
  8. Simon Templar

Simon Templar Dean Carney

Project Manager
    I too am enjoying the banter, not sure who has the points yet though.

Although I do certainly hope our recruitment did their due diligence and he performs well for us what ever grade he plays.

9. Ethan

Ethan Ben Kennedy

Well I will be listening to McKinnon and Obrien thanks .

Lefty likes this.
  10. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Don't feed the troll Ethan.

Ethan and Lefty like this.
  11. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Think I'll listen to an NRL coach and scout bro.

Nice troll though.

:applause:

Ethan likes this.
  12. Lord of the Skraelings

Ethan reminds me of me 4-5 years ago. When he gets the jerk he'll chuck along.

Ethan likes this.
  13. cowboyman

Hospitality
    Serious question. What credentials does McKinnon have... Seems like it’s just a job for him because of the unfortunate situation he is in.

You’re putting blind faith in him and a rookie coach. Good luck with that.

Time will tell how much Shibasaki sucks and I’ll be here to tell you I told you so.

14. knightime

knightime Wayne Richards

It's probably enough that the club and coach have faith in McKinnon to do the job. Same goes for Shibasaki I suppose. If Shibs is a dud, then so be it, but we've got plenty of depth now. Let's see what the coach who wants him can do with him.

15. Lord of the Skraelings

McKinnon has been in the NRL system since he was 14-15, since his accident the club has been providing him with a tonne of education, very happy for him to be acting in his capacity.

Not entirely sold on Obi yet and won't be until he starts us winning! - BUT 10 year apprenticeship in the storm system and very handy assistant coach's are a positive which I hope translates to on and off-field results.

Shibby, will either make it or he won't, he'd be on the cheap anyway so happy for him to play NSW Cup if need be.

Lefty likes this.
  16. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

McKinnon and O’Brien are sh*t
    Source: some bloke on a Cowboys forum.

17. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Brown was very successful with recruiting - much better than any previous coach I think - but even he had more guys fail than succeed. I'd say he recruited about 40 or 50 to firsts, reserves and under 20s, and maybe 10 worked out well.
    O'Brien has signed 5 or 6 to contracts or train and trial deals - Tuala, Shiba, Roberts-Davis, Soper-Lawlor, Matt Cooper, Nash Birch. If 2 of them go as well as Hunt and Lee from last year, that will be great, but more likely most of them will go like Zac Woolford or Kiah Cooper.
    Most guys fail when they move to a new system, especially young guys. Brown was really good at bringing new guys in, largely by giving them an armchair ride over the old guys (even over guys he'd signed the year before).
    Most coaches let guys sink or swim, and most sink.
    We'll see how O'Brien goes with recruiting, but if most fail, it's about par for the course. Brown went to extreme measures to favour his latest golden boys.

18. Owey

Owey Rodney Howe

Yeah, but then he missed a guy like Naden who can obviously handle fg. Still, without Brown, no Pearce, Ponga or Klemmer.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Ethan and Wobbles like this.
  19. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

I can't blame him for Naden. Admittedly barely saw him play but there was nothing really in the stats that indicated he was above average at NSW Cup level & his defensive stats looked quite shocking from memory. It was a surprise to see him do so well at Penrith, I thought he would disappear into the wilderness when he signed with their NSW Cup team but good on him.

20. R_A

R_A Mark Hughes

From my understanding, there is no formal qualification or credentials for a person to be a scout whether that is a former player who has played professionally or semi professionally and from the examples of other former players who have done scouting it seems to be the case. Not just in the NRL but any sport.

Perhaps they report to someone whether it be the coach/general manager who gives them some guidelines on the type of players they want and they go from there. Times have obviously changed with statistical data but in that regard the NRL is way behind other sports.

Probably one of the more famous ones in recent times was Arthur Beetson although he had a wealth of experience as a player/coach/commentator/assistant coach but still had to oversee a massive change in the way League is played and officiated and adapt.

So an example closer to your question is the President of Baseball Operations of the Oakland Athletics Billy Beane who didn’t live up to the hype as a player but thoroughly enjoyed watching the sport and basically only had a high school diploma and nothing else which led to his interest in starting out as a scout before working his way up.

As players they roughly had the same amount of playing experience as professional athletes and I guess it was as you said, to feel apart of a team environment. I guess most people would say you have to start somewhere which is the case with many jobs.
    From memory he didn’t have any real television experience before going on Fox but he already is able to talk and express himself way better then the cronies like Buzz, Kent and Hadley do on television.

Wobbles likes this.