Rumour: Kalyn Ponga set to re-sign with the Knights

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by mullenmagic, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Ethan

Ethan Tony Butterfield

Don't agree with that at all.

2. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

The salary cap makes it a trade off to have Ponga on the books.
    If we lose Ponga when he next comes up for contract we get a million dollars to spend on 2 or 3 very good players.

Ethan likes this.
  3. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

I’d be throwing in Tex Hoy before anyone, and have To’a on the wing.

But, Ponga has not left and may not even.

4. cowboyman

cowboyman Tony Butterfield

Hospitality
    Luckily you have no control over the team then.

5. Ethan

Ethan Tony Butterfield

Funny I was just thinking the same thing about you ...

6. knightime

knightime Dean Carney

C'mon ladies. It's a good thing none of us armchair experts are in charge of the team, frankly. I like hearing different people's takes on what the team should look like. There's plenty to be excited about for this season coming.

7. Ethan

Ethan Tony Butterfield

I would have Ponga at f/b and Watson after him , but if we were hard up for a f/b Lee would go ok ..Best would probably get a go before Lee too though .

8. Ethan

Ethan Tony Butterfield

Edrick Lee was arguably one of the Knights’ best in 2019 before a broken arm ended his season early.

Arriving from Cronulla at the start of last year, Lee played 14 games for the Knights, crossing the line six times.

He played all of last season on the left wing but is definitely an option for the coach to play the fullback position.

He’s played there earlier in his eight-year career and wouldn’t shy away from the challenge if he was asked to play fullback at any point in 2020.
    Oh look apparently im not the only one that thinks Lee would go ok at F/B .. So maybe we are lucky we don't have a cowboys fan with control of our team .

9. cowboyman

Hospitality
    Can name anyone an option but doesn’t mean he should ever be seen there. If he is you guys are in a seriously bad situation.

10. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Lee completely changed my opinion upon playing for the Knights. Before he was here, he had the reputation of being error prone & a 3-year contract seemed out of nowhere, but once he got here he was great. You come to appreciate the little things in a player when you watch them closely like his carries, size, effort. I think he's a fantastic winger now. In saying that, there's nothing really to show that he's a genuine option at fullback beyond filling in during a game for an injury. You want a playmaker type in the modern game.

11. Ethan

Ethan Tony Butterfield

All I said was he would go well there but Ponga , Watson and even Best would probably be in front of him and he has played there before 1 game for us I think .

12. Ethan

Ethan Tony Butterfield

That's the way mate argue all you want but I think I will listen to the people running the team not some guy that has no idea and isn't even a supporter of our team ...Maybe you should just worry about YOUR team and not losing any more Ponga's .

13. cowboyman

Hospitality
    It’s just like saying you have Guerra as an option for front row if needed because he has played lock and in the middle of the field. You ain’t going to play him at front row are you unless in dire situation.

Same with Lee at fullback. If he is there you are in a bad way. If you think he would do a good job then you have no idea I’m afraid.

EASBay17 likes this.
  14. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Lee would be our 6th or even 7th best option for the fullback spot. He’s an out-and-out winger. We have no need for him to play fullback. He provides us with strong carries out of our end, one of our best finishers, but doesn’t have the ball playing skills. Ponga, Watson, To’a, Hoy, Mann and maybe Best, but he’s best position is centre and his preferred.

15. Billy

The Knights site just did a run down on our fullback options and has Toa as second choice.
    He certainly had the best game of his life for the junior Kiwis at fullback. I thought he was the best player on the field in a losing side.
    He hasn't played a lot of football because of injuries and still has a lot of errors in him, but once he gets a bit more experience, I'd back him as our next best fullback.
    It will be interesting to see if they go with Hoy or Toa as fullback in reserves.

16. danknights

danknights Ben Kennedy

TOA doesn't seem to have a very big motor in him though.

17. Billy

He certainly didn't when he started with us 2 years ago, but every time I see him play he seems to have a higher workrate. The junior kiwis game he ran for almost 200 metres and was in everything.

18. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

He's played about 10 games in 2 years. Hard to work on your fitness when you're always injured.

19. danknights

danknights Ben Kennedy

I remember after that intercept try, the way he acted it was like he ran 10klm. Obviously having no injuries will help him I just don't see how he gets a spot before Tex has a crack.

20. Ethan

Ethan Tony Butterfield

Im pretty sure Guerra has played front row for us . Lee is about 4th or fifth in that line up off f/backs that will do the job if needed .