Rumour: Kalyn Ponga set to re-sign with the Knights

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by mullenmagic, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Battler

Battler Tim Maddison

lolz for dayz

2. R_A

R_A Mark Hughes

Because the Broncos are bringing back their 90s and early 00s salary cap mentality

3. knightime

knightime Dean Carney

I'm a big fan of Kalyn, but if any club (other than us) is willing to pay $1.5 million per year, then they are welcome to him lol.

Lord of the Skraelings and Lefty like this.
  4. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

He will get a lot of big offers.
    The only way we will keep him is if we win a premiership or go very close before his contract is up, or he'll go to a more successful club.

5. packo

packo :) (:

Government
    This season if we **** he will be gone. If we go well I’m confident he will stay

6. cowboyman

cowboyman Tony Butterfield

Hospitality
    His next stop in my opinion will be union. The All Blacks will throw the kitchen sink at him. Said from the start he won’t extend his stay here because of his old man. He is the mercenary here and soon enough you guys will see first hand.

7. Owey

Owey Rodney Howe

You may be right, and 18 months ago that thought scared the **** out of me. Now I'd see Star Toa slip straight in end begin an illustrious career for us at fullback, with opportunities opening up for Tex Hoy.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Lefty, Rob and knightime like this.
  8. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

You're going to end up exhausted if you read and worry about all the articles on where Ponga is going over the next 18 months.

9. knightime

knightime Dean Carney

I think this year we'll see a team which relies less on Pearce and Ponga and more on other players, which hopefully should allow players like Toa and Hoy to develop in that system. If that happens and we lose a player like Ponga down the track, it should be less detrimental to the team than it would have been in the previous 2 years when Pearce and Ponga were expected to carry the team.

10. Billy

I don't think Toa has the motor to play fullback at NRL level, although his game for the junior Kiwis where he ran for about 200 metres, scored 2 tries and had a try assist would say otherwise.
    in Ball and even Flegg, if he made an 80 metre run he'd often run out of puff and be run down as he slowed, and would need 10 minutes struggling for breath behind play after the run, but the more he plays and trains the less of that you see.
    Scott Dureau said in one article about him that he didn't think he was going to make it through the first training session for under 18s, so he came to the club pretty unfit, but that was just about 2 years ago now, and he's done a lot of training since.

11. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    The change in Ponga's physique since the end of the season is pretty impressive.

12. Billy

If O'Brien fails as NRL coach, he has a future at Jenny Craig - half the squad are shedding kgs rapidly.

Beaumont likes this.
  13. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

I reckon we will see KP linked with 5 or 6 NRL clubs, All Blacks, Japanese Rugby, French Rugby, Toronto Wolfpack and all the way down to professional dodgeball teams

R_A, Battler and knightime like this.
  14. Rob

Rob Charlie McAlister

You’re right but he’s only mentioned a desire to play for one them, with prompting. He said he wants an NRL title but he could go through his career and not win a thing as I reckon the All Blacks are a bit in the slide and the Knights, well who knows what they’ll do but I can’t see them winning the comp

15. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    No he won't he'll stay in Newie. Hate to break it to you but he loves the place and is surrounded by his mates.

Maybe when his 30 he might jump over there to tick it off his bucket list and play in a world cup but until than he knows his in the elite competition and he has third parties to burn and a million a year from us so money isn't an issue.

16. Lord of the Skraelings

Yeah comfortably straight but gee's Kalyn! His SBW cut.

Beaumont likes this.
  17. Lord of the Skraelings

Bronco's also 7.5 million haven't they got Boyd and Milford swallowing up $900k plus per year each the next 2 years? No one would take Boyd for for free and Bronco's would need to pay I'd suggest atleast a 1/3 of Milfords contract to get looked at on top of signing all their monster forwards they'll be lucky to have money for a jersey flegg player let alone the Pong.

Wobbles likes this.
  18. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Don't get your hopes up too much. With respect to To'a & Hoy, I'd be surprised if they're close to as talented as Ponga is. We're lucky to have one of those rare superstar talents on our roster at the moment & him leaving would be a huge loss & leave huge dent in our premiership hopes. Exactly like Slots said though, you can't get too invested in all the articles about him that will happen & have already happened in his time here. Half of them will eventuate to nothing, we as fans can't call bull on 90% of Knights articles & then just take it as gospel when another article says a club will pay 1.5.

Battler likes this.
  19. Battler

Battler Tim Maddison

I'd suggest that the Broncos story is rubbish mate.

R_A likes this.
  20. R_A

R_A Mark Hughes

the Olympics are next year so Ponga will probably get linked by Foxsports to an early release to play Rugby sevens as well as golf.

Edogmilly likes this.