Rumour: Kalyn Ponga set to re-sign with the Knights

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by mullenmagic, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    We'd be idiots not too, as if people wouldn't already be playing chinese whisper trying to get him.

2. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Sean Rudder

You weren't the only one saying Sione was average.

3. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Sean Rudder

Any team that wants to sign him is going to be overpaying him, and signing him on his potential.

By the end of this contract he will likely be an established SOO fullback, and a mill a year will be his asking price, not overpriced.

If the Knights are serious about keeping a premiership window open here, and being a long term finals contender then it's a no brainer to sign KP.

4. krustykraz

krustykraz Shane O'Grady

I can handle 1mil a year at the end of next year but 1.5mil is a bit excessive.

5. Volcom66853

Volcom66853 Gavin Hanrahan

The Article said that’s what he’d be worth on open market and knights won’t pay that . Looking like 1.2mil that’s if the article is to be believed

6. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

No one has said that's what we'll sign him for. If he genuinely does want to sign here early & not wait till he's off-contract, then I can't see his price going far over the 1 mil mark. We're just speculating that on the open market, he could probably collect 1.5 mil from someone.

7. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Sean Rudder

I doubt any NRL team is paying 1.5 for him.

As usual the media gets themselves in a tizzy and hypes the chit out of him.

8. Owey

Owey Glen Frendo

This is where tpas are going to be so important. He is a very marketable guy in a one team town.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

9. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Again, no club can talk to him until " NOVEMBER 2020" thats 18 months away.
    The kids being paid exceptional money now ( 650-750k )
    I have a huge want for him to be our future and kick on, he could be the best player this next decade.... but why rush a deal when time is own the current deals side and KPs side also?
    His still got 3yrs on the current deal, add another 6yrs at 1mil a year on a guy thats played 30 ish nrl games is such a silly move.

I tell you here and now, if we upgrade KP then not have enough to keep players like Dan Saifiti who will definitely be worth another 200k in 18 months time, ill be filthy.

10. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Sean Rudder

So far it's only media crap anyway, not heard anything from the club or KP, in fact KP said he was happy to leave it for a while previously.

If you were KP's manager you would be telling him not to sign now and wait till 2020 and really put the pressure on us with other teams starting to circle.

11. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

If the manager is going to collect 100k+ a year for the next 9 years without having to worry, im sure he'd be extremely happy about it.

slotmachine, danknights and packo like this.
  12. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    I find myself firming in anticipation

My, my, you dirty perv Beaumont lol!

Beaumont likes this.
  13. EASBay17

EASBay17 Shane O'Grady

this extension will also run into a new broadcast deal. history shows that the cap SHOULD rise again also.

14. cowboyman

cowboyman Ben Kennedy

Hospitality
    Not so sure with this one. There comes a breaking point and the way the players have been representing the game and with how most broadcast companies are running in the red I’m not sure these massive tv deals can be sustained in future.

The players will want to get their act together if they want the money to keep rising.

15. Owey

Owey Glen Frendo

Completely agree, I've heard the next deal could be a big step backwards. There is also the idea that the NRL has beefed up their own media and building personalities via their website with a view of doing their own subscriptions. I'm not sure how much that would change things.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

16. EASBay17

EASBay17 Shane O'Grady

i dont know, the NRL & AFL are foxtels bread and butter, the nrl know this and are still in a position to dictate terms i believe.