Rumour: Kalyn Ponga set to re-sign with the Knights

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by mullenmagic, Apr 6, 2019.

1. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Ok KP current deal reported to be around 2.8-3 million over 4yrs, "seems close to the figures"
    His got all the kit to be a 1mil player if the game was played in a 30 meter corridor, though a nrl field is 73m wide so KP needs to better 43 meters of his game width to be even close to consideration of a 1 million dollar player.

Look at the current guys reported to be on 1 million a season.

Jason Teaumalolo ( most destructive forward in history )

Cameron Smith ( best 9 ever, close to the best player ever )

DCE ( has everything KP has but can do it over all the 73m width and 100m length why being in the line and controlling the game )

Ben Hunt ( "over paid desperation" but can srill lead a team in huge games to a win )

Sorry but for mine KP has a long way to go before being handed a 1 million dollar deal per season.
    If his able to get it else where? Then let him.
    More to a club then a 21yr old with 3 tricks on 1 side of a field.

2. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Well no offence but I'm glad you're not in control of recruitment then. If we were silly enough to not give Ponga the big mil, then we deserve to lose him. He will get that & more on the open market. Lose Ponga, it's back to competing for wooden spoons again for the next decade.

Matty23 likes this.
  3. danknights

danknights Ben Kennedy

Pay him the mill the day you can say his nailed fullback to the likes of a Slater or a Lockyer. Right now no 1 player is bigger then the team. I agree with you 88. He has a long way to go. Freak for sure but you need to have longevity in the game at peak to earn that kind of money not a few shades of brilliance.

88Knight4life likes this.
  4. 88Knight4life

And you would be as poor of a manager as Hags,
    You cant give 1 mill to people that think they deserve it.
    KP atm doesnt deserve 750k tbh, his only good on 1 side and that will get closed up by teams in a week or two if he doesnt drift to bith sides and change things up

5. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

If we want him, we'll have to pay the big bucks, but I was thinking on the last few weekends as I was watching Foran and DCE etc, that a lot of these guys who get long contracts for big money only have to pick up a few injuries and they are suddenly worth half as much.
    I'd either give him big money for a shortish contract, or good money for a long contract.

Battler likes this.
  6. Battler

Battler Peter Johnston

C'mon Lord, you're just taking the **** now. If Sione was on more than $400k or so I'd be surprised.

7. Battler

Battler Peter Johnston

I see your point 88. But do you think we should look to extend him now (dollars aside) and tie him up, or wait for the other clubs to start making offers?

8. 88Knight4life

Id hold out atm, his got to learn to be dominant on both sides of the ruck, his untouchable until end of 2020, maybe start talking after this season when his had 2 seasons worth of nrl footy and proved to be above 99% of players to warrant such numbers.

9. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

If he couldn’t make up crap to hang sh*t on Sione he wouldn’t have anything to post.

10. Joshhh

You look at how much vision the kid has at just 21 & it should be obvious that he's a level above. He's already as good at try assists as most players in the game. If we're lucky enough that he wants to commit another 4 or 5 years without even testing his market value, then we do what we can.

11. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    He signed up an upgraded contract recently AFTER signing on big money originally after playing for Australia.

12. Lord of the Skraelings

Cool guys lets offer him the $600k you think his worth and watch him run out for NZ Rugby or a Parramatta and have us hanging ourselves for making the worst decision in the history of rugby league in not re-signing him.

Sorry @88Knight4life your normally on the money but 3 trick pony is a hideously bad underestimation of Kalyn.

Joshhh likes this.
  13. Lord of the Skraelings

That's right Mozza despite it being a proven fact he makes no metres in attack, can't pass and misses more tackles than Chris Sandow in his hey day, is still apparently great.

Still waiting for you to prove me wrong, - edit, harsh -

Edit: People will remember I've been calling out Sione for being rubbish for nearly 3 years now, everyone else has come to the conclusion after hammering me relentlessly that he OFFERS nothing. Yes his a champion of a young man - great stuff, but as a footballer, he is slow, has no lateral movemement, can't pass, can't read the game. He was a beast in juniors yes, but unfortunately everyone else from the juniors either didn't make it, or got bigger, faster and smarter. - Sione didn't!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  14. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

To be fair I bet you weren’t saying this last year when he was runner up in Dally M’s. 3 below par games, which he was still very solid in and one great game, doesn’t mean we should let our best player and fullback the club has, go.

Lefty likes this.
  15. Joshhh

Don't know about that. At the time Toohey admitted that he wasn't sure, but reckoned Sione took a pay cut for his latest deal. If you remember it was very recently after all his concussion stuff & we took ages to re-sign him, some people thought he was gone. There's no way he got upgraded from his already Australian test player wage.

16. krustykraz

krustykraz Todd Bates

Toohey said he was on around 450k and his new contract was less.
    So no where near 750k.

Battler and mozza like this.
  17. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    How much is KP's value off the field ? I'm seeing a lot of kids wanting to be like him. I'm seeing my teenager daughters wanting to look at him. I find myself firming in anticipation every time he gets the ball.

Matty23, slotmachine and Joshhh like this.
  18. Lord of the Skraelings

:brickwall:
    You are ruining my argument! :oops:

19. krustykraz

krustykraz Todd Bates

Any time lol

20. krustykraz

krustykraz Todd Bates

Back to Ponga, we had to overpay him (at the time he was signed) to get him to Newcastle and we will have to over pay him if we want to keep him. We just dont have the power to get players cheaper like The Storm, Donks & Roosters.
    But we don't have to rush out and sign him now for 1.5mil. He is still untouchable until next November.