Round 7: Newcastle Knights vs Parramatta Eels

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by rhugh89, Apr 21, 2019.

?

What is your prediction for this game ??

Poll closed Apr 28, 2019.
  1. Knights 13+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Knights 1-12

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Eels 1-12

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. Eels 13+

15 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Lee a stretch but he got the first two right.

2. R_A

R_A Sean Rudder

Yeah this. There was a one on one tackle where he got Moses late in the game when the eels were attacking our line and then a few plays later did the same thing, he didn’t get the tackle but he forced Moses to throw a bad pass which then led to an error by the next guy because the passes weren’t clean and they were thrown off. Those are the sort of lead by example captains plays we need from Pearce whether it’s offense or defense.

The other notable improvement was pearce being criticised for not standing deep enough in the goal line attack which he did today and led to our first two tries.

packo likes this.
  3. The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd

The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd Craig Kimmorley

Asset Manager
    Maybe instead of listening to Brown the players just decided not to listen to him this week. Particularly Levi and Pearce.

Brown next week: “ok guys, I’m going to give you my team talk and key focus points for the game. I would like you all to nod your head and agree with me. And then I would like you to go and do whatever you want so we play like last week. Ok?”

Beaumont likes this.
  4. packo

packo :) (:

Government
    Obvious improvements were

intent.

Pearce did majority of the organising.

We didn’t look to just give it to Kalyn.

Watson not looking to pass.

Wingers helping out the forwards way more.

daniels likes this.
  5. R_A

R_A Sean Rudder

I don’t think deliberately kicking to Fergo so that he wasn’t taking the second hit up from the dummy half was an accident. Eels unleashes Sivo which did damage I guess. Players responded with ball control which helped us maintain our lead

knightime likes this.
  6. ImissVuna

ImissVuna George Mann

Not sure how serious Ramien was but if he's out next week I assume Moga is back. How has he been tracking in reserves?

If Ramien is okay I think he and Hunt did more than enough to hold their spots.

7. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Moga didn't play after halftime in reserve grade - neither did Buhrer - no idea why, but we did go better once they were off.

8. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Adam Woolnough

Have said previously in response to Levi criticism that he has not been allowed to play his natural game and today he did. Not sure if his game gave Pearce confidence or Pearce gave him confidence but not just a coincidence that both .
    killed it. Ponga was always on the backup because we had others doing there job.
    We select best players and today most were good to very good, hard to award man of match points although Pearce and Levi dominated.
    Worst performed back was SKD followed by Watson but both ok, worst forward was Barnett.
    Selection of side was poor, had serious concerns when Watson, Ponga and Ramien went down with injuries and selected 17 couldn’t cover, drop a forward and bring in Buhrer or Lino. If need be injuries can be covered but depth would be tested

9. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    We lose ~ Brownie's gotta go.

We win ~ Brownie's gotta go.

Ethan likes this.
  10. Ethan

Ethan Steve Simpson

Amazing the turn around in form when a player is told he has written permission to talk to other clubs after his worst game in two seasons then turns up and has his best game in two seasons .
    Maybe he should have been putting in like that the whole time but he hasn't been , of course that's the coaches fault not the player for not trying hard enough..

11. Billy

Yeah, Levi should have been ignoring Brown all along.
    Last year he was dropped to reserve grade till he started following Brown's instructions, but he should have stuck to his guns and just played his natural game. That would have worked out for him I'm sure.

12. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Does anyone have a factual report where Levi was told not to play his best footy by the coach?
    Or is this just another load of crap to try highlight the coach being poor and the players not being poor on there own effort or lack of.

Ethan and slotmachine like this.
  13. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Just another load of crap from the lynch mob mate!

Ethan likes this.
  14. Billy

There are heaps of reports over the past 3 years where Levi has been told he has to change his style.
    It's a fair point that any hooker who goes for 10 or more dummy half runs and runs 100 metres is being selfish and stifling the rest of the team.

I think the best way to use Levi is for impact against tired players. We had it right last year with Griffin doing the hard defence as starting hooker, Levi coming on to take on the tired forwards and going as hard as he could, and Griffin replacing him when he ran out of steam - if he did.

The main role of the hooker should be to get clean ball to the right forward to do a good hitup or to the playmaker when he wants it, but if he can catch out the markers and make an easy 15 metres or make a break, he should do that for sure.

15. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

I dont think it would be a issue if a hooker is making 100m a game due to quality runs at all.

I'd say he would of been told to stop the taking a dive at the line 3 times a game and to fix his poor tackle percentage.

No coach and definitely not a ex hooker would stop a hooker from doing 100m a game when its of quality running.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Ethan likes this.
  16. danknights

danknights Steve Simpson

Ball playing starts at the hooker position. Your coached from juniors to only give the ball to someone in a better position then you. If the hooker sees an opportunity he needs to have some sort of contact with halves and fullback. Same as 6,7,1 to call the plays and the forwards/backs to react when something is on. Easy game huh........ Haha. Make metres, score tries..... simples *derp*

88Knight4life likes this.
  17. Ethan

Ethan Steve Simpson

I remember Brown saying Levi had a few things in his game that he had to work on but I don't remember Brown saying he had to change his style .

18. rhugh89

rhugh89 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

We got 2 players in the NSWRL Team of the Week

7. Mitchell Pearce

Club: Newcastle Knights; NSW Origin appearances: 18; 2019 TOTW selections: 1

The 18-time Blues representative took his game to another gear in the one-on-one duel with NSW-hopeful Mitchell Moses, sealing a much-needed win for the Knights with a decisive try in the 68th minute. Back to his running best, Pearce challenged the line 13 times and laid on a try for Lachlan Fitzgibbon.

10. David Klemmer

Club: Newcastle Knights; NSW Origin appearances: 12; 2019 TOTW selections: 4

Turned in a trademarked effort against the Eels in what was a must-win game for the embattled Knights. Klemmer ran for 202 metres from his 20 carries and made 32 tackles without a miss.

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2019/04/29/nsw-blues-team-of-the-week--rd-7/

Ethan likes this.