Round 6: Knights v Raiders @ GIO Stadium Canberra

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Junior11, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Afro Zac

Afro Zac Todd Bates

I don't think its the fact that his been punted, more so because Gids is only on for the starting and last 20mins of the game and it's a bit silly to change kickers around when we already have a great kicker at halfback when Gids only plays 40mins.

Back to the halfback debate. If we drop Tyrone and Gids only plays 40mins, who kicks when Gids comes off? Gagai has an alright kick on him but no where near good enough and could cost us a game.

Can Dobson kick?

2. rhugh89

rhugh89 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

5 missed tackles per game is alarming no doubt, Hopefully it improves this week against a big Raiders forward pack

Papalli always worries me

3. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Dobson was one of the top kickers in the ESL for 5 or 6 years.

4. rhugh89

He kicked 56/72 in his last NRL stint @ 77.78%

He also kicked 626 goals whilst playing in England, Not sure about percentages

5. Afro Zac

Afro Zac Todd Bates

As much as I love you Rhugh89, i'm going to have to disagree. I would take Trent Hodkinson, Robert Lui and Jeff Robson over Tyrone Roberts ATM. Robert Lui virtually shut down Thurston in attack on Monday night against us as played pretty well. Jeff Robson would have to be the most underrated halfback in the game, he credits Carneys game for the Sharkies so well and lets Carney do his thing while he remands level headed and just runs through plays like clock work, may not have the X-factor that Tyrone has but. As for Trent Hodkinson, he's has a career ruled by injuries and I'm pretty sure the just pasted off season was his first full off season in years which really says a lot about him, hasn't quite played as well as he played at Manly which might be where my high hopes of Hodko come from but.

I'm starting to sound like I really dislike Tyrone, I honestly hope he reaches some good form and stays consistent. May just be because of the new combination with Dobson so far, and Mullen and Tyrone may just click when Mullen comes back hopefully, but that 25 missed tackles is hard to excuse.

Tyrone has had a few years, 2 years maybe 3 to show what his got, and has really improved and showed his a great player, but seriously need to work on consistency and defense, as well as leadership of the team and not letting Mullen run the show to much.

6. rhugh89

It's okay Afro, I still love ya :redface:

7. Sammyyy

Sammyyy Knights 2013

uni kid
    In Knights Insider:

Robyn via email: When Jarrod Mullen returns from injury, will Michael Dobson and Tyrone Roberts compete for the halfback position?

WB: Not at this stage. Michael has done well for us but it will be Tyrone and Jarrod when Jarrod returns.

Think we can safely say, Robers won't be dropped ahead of Dobson.

8. rhugh89

Mullen ready for Raiders

By Matt Logue

Fri 11th April, 01:17PM

It was a moment of sheer happiness that highlighted how glad the Newcastle Knights are to have five-eighth Jarrod Mullen back on the field.

As the Knights completed their final training session at Wests Mayfield on Friday, the squad congregated as a group to hear the news that Mullen had got through unscathed and will take his place against the Canberra Raiders on Saturday.

After a tough start to the season for the Club, confirmation the team's key playmaker is set to return was met with joy from the playing group.

In fact, they were so happy they lifted Mullen up on their shoulders and cheered in unison.

It's a positive feeling that prop Kade Snowden hopes can flow onto Saturday's crucial round six clash against the Raiders at GIO Stadium.

"It’s a massive confidence boost for the whole squad," Snowden said after training.

"He trained good today, so we are keen to go.

"He has been keen to play. He wanted to play last week, but they held him back for a while, so he is really, really keen to go."

As difficult as the start of the season has been for Newcastle though, Snowden says self-belief remains high.

He says basic errors and poor discipline has been the major reason behind the Club's indifferent opening to 2014.

"The confidence every game this year has been really high," he says.

"So I don't think it's confidence, it's just holding the ball and we've got Mullo back now so it's a massive bonus."

We’re only six weeks into the NRL season, but Snowden knows the Knights can't afford to get too far behind the competition's leading teams.

"It’s not the part of the year where you need to start panicking, but it is a must win," he says frankly.

"Not just for us, but the whole of Newcastle.

"We need to win this week to keep us in the mix.

"We haven’t been playing that good, but we just need to get back to the form against Cronulla and just the belief that we can play like we did last year.

"You can say any excuse you want, but I just think we didn’t play the way we should and good teams just put teams on you.

"We need to hold the ball. That’s probably the biggest thing and our penalties.

"If we can just cut them in half, we’ll be up there."

Canberra has a decent sized pack led by the likes of Brett White and David Shillington, but Snowden believes the Knights are more than capable of containing them.

"We held our own against them last game," he says about the Round 2 clash at Hunter Stadium.

"They are a big pack, but we are just as big and I think we are better.

"No that doesn’t even come into our minds. We just have to get through our game plan, complete and hold the ball."

Snowden hopes this happens against the Raiders on Saturday.

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2014/04/11/mullen_ready_for_raiders.html

- - - Updated - - -

Raiders wary of returning Knight Mullen

By David Barbeler
    AAP
    1:25pm Fri 11th April, 2014

[​IMG]
    Jarrod Mullen will return for Newcastle against Canberra after training strongly this week. Copyright: Renee McKay/NRL Photos.

Forget round two: Jarrod Mullen's return is going to make Newcastle a whole different prospect to stop.

Canberra might have toppled the Knights in Newcastle less than a month ago, but coach Ricky Stuart knows it's going to be a whole lot tougher at Canberra Stadium come Saturday.

The Knights have confirmed key playmaker Mullen will play in the clash after recovering from a hamstring injury he sustained in the Auckland Nines pre-season tournament.

As such, there's not much Canberra can take from their previous encounter, says Stuart.

"They'll be a different team again with Jarrod Mullen playing and (Darius) Boyd out the back," Stuart said.

It won't just change the way Newcastle attack, Stuart said, but lift the mentality of the second-last placed side.

"They'll have a lot of confidence knowing Jarrod is back," he said.

"He will make the players around him better.

"But we've prepared for that all week."

Both sides enter the match on the back of losses, the Raiders 12-6 to Penrith, while the Knights were thumped 28-2 by North Queensland.

And while "desperate" has been Knights coach Wayne Bennett's word of the week, Stuart, whose side is two and three, is refusing to buy into a similar mentality.

"No. You tell me why I should be desperate?" Stuart said.

"We've got a real positive vibe around the joint."

Stuart said his side had just completed a tough five-match stint, four of which were on the road.

"Physically we are on the back end of a tough slog.

"But players in new positions are slowly gelling."

The Raiders will be buoyed by the return of Australian and Maroons representative Josh Papalii, back from a three-week stint on the sidelines following an ankle injury he initially sustained against the Knights.

http://www.nrl.com/raiders-wary-of-returning-knight-mullen/tabid/10874/newsid/77548/default.aspx

9. anthemlost

anthemlost Steve Linnane

dobbo is a tough little bugga Tyrone will have to improve to keep him out of the team for long

10. Swarzey

Swarzey Michael Hagan

I fail to see the hype in Dobson. Quite good in attack but his defence makes him the biggest liability in our line.

Tyrone has been expected to carry the responsibilities of Mullen, he's been expected to fill the majority of the void Mullen has left throughout this tough period. The pressure alone is enough for anyone to crumble, look at how well Reynolds plays when he's expected to lead South Sydney to end their drought. He still lacks the experience needed, very few fire in their first few years of first grade, it's ridiculous to even think he needs to play at a certain level so early in his career. With so much of the pressure lifted, he'll return to form.

Only way Dobson will wear a first grade jumper in 2014 will be through injury to either Mullen or Roberts. I do think he and Minto will be incredible in NSW Cup.

11. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

There's still a chance Wayne will drop Clydsdale and use one of the halves to spell Gids for 20 minutes or so.
    Probably not likely, but funnier things have happened.

12. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

I wouldn't be surprised but it would be incredibly dumb. There would not be any point in dropping a hooker for a half that will play out of position at hooker.

13. cowboyman

cowboyman Ben Kennedy

Hospitality
    Gonna say it again like I did in the 9's. Roberts needs Mullen holding his hand for him to pull out the couple of good games in a row that will deal his spot in the side just that little bit longer.

Been in the NRL for a few years now. Can't keep falling back on being young and inexperienced. Needs to start being consistant.

14. Hamish171

Hamish171 Adam Woolnough

Learning

Could say the same about Lui but Roberts inconsistencies I will agree has been more apparent which still has me worried if Roberts will ever fully reach his form

15. d'Artagnan

d'Artagnan Tony Townsend

Ppl were saying the same thing about Mullo for quite a few years & look at the player he's developed into!

16. AlbertWillScore97

AlbertWillScore97 Greg Hayward

Big game for the Knights tomorrow, they are running out of 2nd chances to get their season going and if Mullen's return doesn't pump up the boys then not much else is going to. After last year and semi-successful seasons like 2009, 2011, Newcastle had gotten rid of that 'one man team' insult that plagued them during John's prime, so its kind of annoying that we are almost back to that kind of mindset with Mullen.

17. Hamish171

Hamish171 Adam Woolnough

Learning
    Yes but the difference is that Mullen managed to make his origin debut when he was 19, while Roberts is yet to even make a City V Country debut at 22.

18. Pieguyfly

Pieguyfly Sean Rudder

Roberts is literally the next Mullen!

19. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Every team has that mindset then, Mullo is literally our best & most influential player. Take Thurston out of the Cowboys, Inglis out of the Rabbits, Smith out of the Storm & so on. I don't think it's an issue because every team would have the same problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, Roberts isn't half the player Mullo is. I agree with Alicia in that i will wait to see how he goes with Mullo back but if he's still playing more average games than good, Bennett's gonna have to seriously consider what the best thing moving forward will be.

20. Afro Zac

Afro Zac Todd Bates

Very good point. Didn't even think of Mullens earlier days and the player he's turned into. This get me quite excited now haha