ROUND 5 - GOLD COAST TITANS vs NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS

What is your predicted result for this game??

• Knights 13 +

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Knights 1 - 12

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Titans 1 - 12

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Titans 13 +

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just watching the dragons play parra and have to say isn't it amazing what a change in attitude and having a real dig does to a footy side.

Really rate griffin as a coach and really wish he came to the knights.

Just watching the dragons play parra and have to say isn't it amazing what a change in attitude and having a real dig does to a footy side.

Really rate griffin as a coach and really wish he came to the knights.
See, I don’t rate Griffin at all, but he seems to get results which I can’t argue with. Drags look decent this year. Parra are probably their first real opponent they’re playing against, so will see how the rest of the game goes. On top thus far though.

See, I don’t rate Griffin at all, but he seems to get results which I can’t argue with. Drags look decent this year. Parra are probably their first real opponent they’re playing against, so will see how the rest of the game goes. On top thus far though.

He has had results everywhere he has gone and is an old school coach that won't accept crap.

But yep you are right, let's see how the game goes....

Well the game went pretty well in the end for Saints. I absolutely hate Saints as a club, but have to hand it to them, their attitude and effort is paying off. Can't say they have a better squad than us, but they are making it work for them through determination.

Well the game went pretty well in the end for Saints. I absolutely hate Saints as a club, but have to hand it to them, their attitude and effort is paying off. Can't say they have a better squad than us, but they are making it work for them through determination.

Definitely something we are lacking, have a much better squad but no determination and **** poor attitude.

Definitely something we are lacking, have a much better squad but no determination and **** poor attitude.
It kind of makes me wonder that why we skipped Shaun Wane as head coach as he was my first pick to be coach after Brown was sacked. Wane would’ve capped the lids on the egos quick smart as well as his famous outbursts in the shed at halftime.

Ponga was pretty much our best yesterday and it was his first game in months, no pre-season ... hate to think where we’d be without him.
Probably a correct statement, and without being nasty it was his first game back ina long time 6/10..

Doesn't ay much for the other 16 players ont he field... well minus Randall he was playing well.

I personally think we put way too much faith in a ... "mature", shall we say ... Green, and the belief that after what happened last year he'd return, form this amazing combo with Pearce and suddenly all our problems would wash away and we'd become this brilliant side that plays to their potential every week.

I know we had 3/3 wins with him last year, but they were against Wests, Manly and North Queensland ...

He was never the silver bullet he seemed to be thought of as ... his performance for the Warriors were rather hit and miss, and we'll see more of the same here, or worse, since he's older and returning from the ACL.
He was only going to be great next to Pearce. He will get match fit and improve though. His in goal kicking is better than Pearce’s and having an option either side also.

Green is a very good player when fully fit but needs, like everyone, players around him to ease the pressure, share the workload. Don’t like Watson or Mann at 5/8 with him at 7, they are not creative to give options, they more run than pass and when they pass it’s rarely good. Loosing Pearce has weakened two positions, Green isn’t as good at 7 and his replacement at 6 is the same. Until Pearce returns we will struggle unless others find a way to take up the slack, I am not a Pearce fan but he the best 7 we have.

If Crossland were fit, playing with Green would be a great learning opportunity for him. Pearce has proven to be particularly bad at “mentoring” young halves, but I feel Green would be good, especially at combining with a young guy full of energy and enthusiasm when he is struggling like he is.

Yeah the difference in how Mitch played when Blake showed up was immediate and obvious. You can also see this in effect in another way with how little he looks to get Tex involved when he plays at fullback vs when Kalyn’s there. It’s like some players are on a level he’s happy with, he considers them peers, and some others are guys he doesn’t have trust in & he feels like he has to carry their load too. Not great qualities in someone who’s supposed to be a leader at our club.

I have to assume he gave some sort of endorsement to the signing of Clifford hahaha. Otherwise we could see some frustrating attack next year...

Surely we can apply a nothing ventured nothing gained approach to at least 1 footy game. Try something different in attack. We can't get the basics right so might aswell try win 40-36.

Surely we can apply a nothing ventured nothing gained approach to at least 1 footy game. Try something different in attack. We can't get the basics right so might aswell try win 40-36.
I was thinking about this, at times we have made a lot of errors, I wonder if the game plan has been to simplify to get back to basics.. we started the year off loading more and seemed more willing to spread the ball.. its not working so why not throw it around and see if we can spark something.

Our attacking gameplan has been a very conservative Storm-clone ever since Bennett took over, and I don't think it's ever really worked for us or suited us. We just seem prone to making too many errors to ever grind out wins like Melbourne do ... and tbh even they've abandoned that style of play now, they are a lot better at using the ball than a lot of sides.

It’s a lot easier to play a free-flowing style if you’ve got a lot of continuity in the team to build combinations, which we haven’t had.

Honestly I think we’ve shown some glimpses of having worked on the attack though, we wanna get over the advantage line, offload, get some interchange of passes around the ruck going. Frizell is clearly meant to be used as a bit more of an attacking back rower than he was at Saints, but he hasn’t played with the same halves two games in a row so that’s stifled him, but I like what I’ve seen so far.

One really pleasing thing though is J Brailey 3 try assists in 5 games to start the season. We’ve got those big forwards and haven’t used them as an attacking outlet in a way say Cam Smith has over the years with NAS, Tino etc. Brailey has a bit of deception around the ruck and ability to construct an attacking set to isolate a man for the crash play that Kurt/Connor etc as part time hookers have lacked (and Levi always sucked at). It’s stuff that’s not going to find its way onto highlight reels at the end of the year but a try is a try.

I was out on Saturday and did not see the whole game, I finally felt up to watching the replay.

I am amazed that Brodie Jones has not been given more game time this year. I thought Saulo was impressive as well.

Toa, Ponga and Shiba, really need to have a hard look at their defence.

Our 2001 premiership win seems a world away now.

Back