ROUND 5 - GOLD COAST TITANS vs NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS

What is your predicted result for this game??

• Knights 13 +

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Knights 1 - 12

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Titans 1 - 12

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Titans 13 +

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Shame that try overturned ruined all our momentum, however we shoudln't have been even close after that first half.

Positives out of that game, Brailey still in fine form, Ponga attack looked decent in limited opportunities. His defence is still bad, but if you're relying on the fullback to save every try, you've got bigger issues.

Biggest positive of the game? Knights are doing their best to ensure Brailey gets top tackles of the season.

The ref had some dubious calls, I wouldn't say we got the rub of the green there with the close decisions, but the ref didn't cost us the game.

We were poor in the first half, better in the second but only marginally.

I thought Randall was looking good for the whole 19 minutes he was out there.
I have no idea how he broke his arm in what looked like a simple tackle with no sign of impact on his arm that I could see.
It's incredible bad luck for him that he has played for years and made thousands of tackles and when he finally gets a chance to make a good showing - hand of God breaks his arm.

I thought Randall was looking good for the whole 19 minutes he was out there.
I have no idea how he broke his arm in what looked like a simple tackle with no sign of impact on his arm that I could see.
It's incredible bad luck for him that he has played for years and made thousands of tackles and when he finally gets a chance to make a good showing - hand of God breaks his arm.
Was later confirmed a dislocation, I believe

So where do we turn from here? Surely we have a better 2 and 4 than To'a and Shibasaki.

I know Billy and a few others had massive raps on Star coming through the grades, but from what i've seen in his few appearances - he's not ready for first grade.

A few that can hold their heads high today, Frizell, KP, Brailey, Hymel Hunt looked good in patches and Jones looked very keen off the bench.

Watson was a passenger at 5/8 and is much better in the 13/14 role which I hope he returns to next week.

First step, clean up the discipline and stop the stupid errors and penalties, then play to our strengths - Strong carries from our middles, find the occasional offload and play off the back. Look to find Ponga early out wide to look for Tuala who seems to be our main strike on the edges atm.

Kicking game needs cleaning up, our attacking kicks are awful and we need something other than a midfield bomb straight to the chest of the opposition's back 3.

Last edited:
The way I see To'a, he's an attacking wing. The biggest issue out of that is, our right side attack has been garbage since we lost Mullen. Pearce doesn't play to the right, Ponga is much stronger on the left & Best is over on the left.

The issue with that is, if we're not attacking the right, we need a good defensive wing & To'a is definitely not that.

Our support play also needs a lot of work as at the moment, we barely have support play.

Kick pressure needs work still.

We just don't play smart. Whether that is the coaching plan or what I don't know.

Midfield bombs do nothing, no defence is worried about them and no team is going to say they don't like them. We have to start kicking more strategically. Our strength is our pack, we have to get them fired up and rolling forward. If we get an offload look to do something with it.

Spread the ball wide once a set and look to get the D on the back foot, constant one out runs all game does not ask any questions of their D.

Kick on the 4th sometimes, kick from dummy half more often, don't give it to Barnett to kick.

Above anything else, play every game like it actually matters.

Reactions: ben
I think our pack has been dead set ordinary the last 2 weeks, we seem to have about 1 forward a game that wants to have a crack. Hard for kicks and support play when you just play dead when it gets hard and make stupid errors and give away penalties.
So much needs to improve I would settle for just some more effort.

Your negative takes on the team are not necessarily “truth” lol. It’s just your interpretation. But don’t let that get in the way of your trolling.

Calling a spade a spade isn't 'trolling' at all, that's the exact opposite of 'trolling'.
When you have a side that has been embarrassingly woeful for 15 of the past 20 seasons, taking a negative stance is backed up by quite a lot of evidence and statistical facts and is a pretty logical take, even for the most loyal of fans.
The people who, every season, blame the refs, blame the injuries, or the ever popular 'we're building this year, we'll be a top 4 side next year' are much closer to being unintentional trolls than any of the negative folk on here.

Back