ROUND 5 - GOLD COAST TITANS vs NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS

What is your predicted result for this game??

• Knights 13 +

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Knights 1 - 12

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Titans 1 - 12

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Titans 13 +

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Kurriboy

Matthew Gidley
Blake Green is twice the playmaker Pearce is. I'm not worried about his ability in attack, just hit match fitness and in turn, his defence stemming from lack of match fitness.

Anyone thinking we should win this and no excuses etc, we should have beat them each time we played them recently but they tend to do a job on us, this year, they are much improved.

It's going to be a tough one to win. But I do think we can.

EASBay17

Trent Estatheo
still thinking we see a gameday switch and have green at 6 randall at 7 and watson at 14. watson offers so much off the bench and randall has a decent kicking game and has been playing halfback in ressies. i shouldnt be confident but i think we can get it done up there on saturday.

JOJO82

Todd Bates
Titans look set to have both starting halves playing so they will be back to full strength....I would be surprised if they can't get the job done on us and do it well.

HarVeeGee13

Gavin Hanrahan
still thinking we see a gameday switch and have green at 6 randall at 7 and watson at 14. watson offers so much off the bench and randall has a decent kicking game and has been playing halfback in ressies. i shouldnt be confident but i think we can get it done up there on saturday.
I kind of go the exact other way on this. So far this season we’ve looked better in attack with Connor at 6 than with Kurt Mann, and I’m not convinced Randall is a better half than Kurt, considering he’s played more footy at 9 and he couldn’t get a top 30 deal with us after last season. For my money Connor plays that role in the middle atm as a sort of long term planning thing, he’s not as good in the halves as Pearce, Green & Clifford, but he’s effective spine cover while also excelling as a 13 off the bench. Kurt is the same except he’s a handbrake on the attack at 6 in my opinion, and I hope when he comes back into the side it’s him playing in the middle off the bench, not Connor... with the outs we have, I think our best chance of winning is Watson being on field for the full 80.

HarVeeGee13

Gavin Hanrahan
Personally I think it's more likely Sasagi gets a surprise debut and Randall doesn't play, than Randall starting.
Agreed. Simi is raw and needs more time in NSW Cup, but he’s definitely got more upside (and he’s a guy who may be a first choice starter in the halves in 2023... I don’t see that on the cards for Randall)

EASBay17

Trent Estatheo
i dont see why AOB would make multiple changes when green was always going to be our 5/8 when fit and randall has been playing halfback in ressies. can slot 1 guy into pearces spot and the show goes on.

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
It's all about how many minutes Green has in him and what we do if he needs a rest.
The Titans would have to be halfwits to have not worked out that Green is far from fit, so they will target him, probably from kickoff.
Randall is only there because of that, so there is a plan to use him to give Green a rest if he needs it.
I'd go pro-active and have Randall out there from the kickoff to take the first 20 minutes of high impact, and run Green out when the sting has gone out of the game.
I'd also think about having Randall go to dummy half on the 6th play with Brailey getting into first receiver to take the kick, because the titans will be expecting Brailey to kick from dummy half and will be trying to spoil that. Brailey has a decent kicking game that we could use, but kicking from dummy half relies on the defence being a bit asleep, and they won't be because they'll be looking for it specifically.

jamesgould

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Staff member
Admin
Green has said he will be playing the 80.....he will steer the ship and KP will do some general play kicking....I would also look to having brailey kick whenever he can.

We need to start mixing it up and be done with the one out hit ups and bomb on last.
Going to be very interesting to see if the gameplan looks any different ...

durbs

Matt Hilder
Green has said he will be playing the 80.....he will steer the ship and KP will do some general play kicking....I would also look to having brailey kick whenever he can.

We need to start mixing it up and be done with the one out hit ups and bomb on last.
Would love to see Brailey kick more judging from the few crackers I've seen. Without it taking away too much from the job at hand, the more he can get the reps out, he will be a very dangerous hooker in the years to come.

Captain Planet

Mark Sargent

Huge fan of KP doing this, Easing him into the playmaker role and taking pressure of our halves

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Garrett Smith in the 21.
3 games of reserve grade so far in which he hasn't run for 100 metres in any of them. 41 minutes is his most minutes.
Last week he was 18th man and got on the field after Sasagi and Jones both strangely went down with HIA right on halftime and then had a remarkable recovery where they were both able to warm up with firstgrade.
I just looked at the reserve grade team stats, and it turns out Jones and Sasagi now didn't have HIA assessments - only Huth did.
He is actually going OK for a guy who could be playing Jersey Flegg this year - but it's a joke to have him in the 21 ahead of Croker, Hosking and even Talty.
If something odd happened like 4 players come down with flu on gameday, it would be madness to throw Garrett Smith into firstgrade.

Tom Hill

Greg Smith
Very concerned that without any spice in greens running game Ponga is going to get jammed all game by the centers and attack breaking down. Hopefully watson can play a Mann style role.

HarVeeGee13

Gavin Hanrahan
Green’s not a particularly dangerous runner but he understands the game well enough to know that he needs to take the line on on a couple of instances where he takes the ball on in order to prevent defenders from simply hanging off him. It’s Connor’s effectiveness as a link man between the two which is a bigger question mark, but Connor is a guy who can hurt a defence which switches off for even a second, and should attract more defensive attention than Kurt is usually able to.

HarVeeGee13

Gavin Hanrahan
Garrett Smith in the 21.
3 games of reserve grade so far in which he hasn't run for 100 metres in any of them. 41 minutes is his most minutes.
Last week he was 18th man and got on the field after Sasagi and Jones both strangely went down with HIA right on halftime and then had a remarkable recovery where they were both able to warm up with firstgrade.
I just looked at the reserve grade team stats, and it turns out Jones and Sasagi now didn't have HIA assessments - only Huth did.
He is actually going OK for a guy who could be playing Jersey Flegg this year - but it's a joke to have him in the 21 ahead of Croker, Hosking and even Talty.
If something odd happened like 4 players come down with flu on gameday, it would be madness to throw Garrett Smith into firstgrade.
It’s a bit of ruthlessness from the club there I think. Croker, Hosking & Talty weren’t going anywhere. Get more prospects in, they don’t need to all work out.

I did hear that Adzy wasn’t ecstatic with how Croker progressed in his development year, so maybe it’s the kick up the bum he needs. His numbers in NSW Cup look good and he has the size to succeed in the NRL.

HarVeeGee13

Gavin Hanrahan
Would love to see Brailey kick more judging from the few crackers I've seen. Without it taking away too much from the job at hand, the more he can get the reps out, he will be a very dangerous hooker in the years to come.
In his time at the club so far he has a great strike rate on forcing a result with his kicks, so I hope he does it more, he’s clearly worked on it a lot. Even his one kicked dead was just a little bit off and almost sat up in goal. If he can get up to Hodgson/Cam Smith kicking numbers that makes everyone else’s job a lot easier.

danknights

Matthew Johns
It’s a bit of ruthlessness from the club there I think. Croker, Hosking & Talty weren’t going anywhere. Get more prospects in, they don’t need to all work out.

I did hear that Adzy wasn’t ecstatic with how Croker progressed in his development year, so maybe it’s the kick up the bum he needs. His numbers in NSW Cup look good and he has the size to succeed in the NRL.
Can both agree and disagree. Croker and the like get much of a chance to impress with covid and comps cancelled. Same with Garrett, I never really seen what he was about but going off numbers he isn't doing much. I've seen Croker, Hosking, talty work really hard but as you say sometimes a kick up the arse is what some players need to take the next step.

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Matt Croker isn't the most athletic guy in the world, and O'Brien seems to be a big fan of athletic players.
Croker has a big motor to get through a lot of work and also makes a lot of good decisions and a lot of skills.
The Croker brothers are both great off loaders - not just shovelling the ball out, but delivering really good balls to the right people.

I think we get to see the 3 Amigos together for the first time in NSW cup this week - Matt and Harry Croker and their cousin Mitch Black - (it's funny because of their Chilean heritage). All 3 of them have good vision and skills and it will be interesting to see if they work well together.