ROUND 5 - GOLD COAST TITANS vs NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS

What is your predicted result for this game??

• Knights 13 +

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Knights 1 - 12

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Titans 1 - 12

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Titans 13 +

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Still_Nutty

Trent Hodkinson
1617680312977.png
D572E5E3-4A4A-4CF5-9D98-0DC5561118C8.jpeg

SATURDAY 10TH APRIL, 2021 @ 3:00PM
CBUS SUPER STADIUM, GOLD COAST

OFFICIALS

REFEREE - Ashley Klein

SIDELINE OFFICIALS - Liam Kennedy, Michael Wise
VIDEO REFEREE - Steve Chiddy

KNIGHTS TEAM

1. Kalyn Ponga
2. Starford To'a
3. Enari Tuala
4. Gehamat Shibasaki
5. Hymel Hunt
6. Connor Watson
7. Blake Green
8. David Klemmer
9. Jayden Brailey
10. Daniel Saifiti
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Mitchell Barnett
13. Sauaso Sue

Interchange: 14. Chris Randall 15. Pasami Saulo 16. Josh King 17. Brodie Jones

18. Jack Johns 19. Brayden Musgrove 20. Simi Sasagi 21. Garrett Smith

TITANS TEAM

1. Alexander Brimson
2. Phillip Sami
3. Brian Kelly
4. Patrick Herbert
5. Corey Thompson
6. Tanah Boyd
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Jarrod Wallace
9. Mitch Rein
10. Tino Fa'asuamaleaui
11. Kevin Proctor
12. David Fifita
13. Tyrone Peachey

Interchange: 14. Moeaki Fotuaika 15. Sam Lisone 16. Jaimin Jolliffe 17. Erin Clark

18. Beau Fermor 19. Herman Ese'ese 20. Sam McIntyre 21. Ashley Taylor​

Last edited:

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Managing the halves is O'Brien's biggest headache.
Green is suddenly the most important player in our roster, and he is clearly not ready to play 80 minutes of NRL, and would be a high risk of joining our injury list is we tried to force him.
I'd say he is good for 40 minutes, but maybe 60 if we leave him off at the start of the game and tell him not to run the ball and hide him in defence.
Watson is the right partner for him because Watson has the capacity to do most of the first receiver work and just let Green do the kicking. Brailey can also take a kick whenever he sees a chance.
In a perfect world, Ponga would also be ready to go and could take on a share of Green's work, but history says Ponga needs a few games to find his feet after a layoff, so he should stick to doing his own job well.
In short, we need Watson to step up and have the game of his life.
Next week, Green and Ponga will be better and Mann will be back, but this week it's all Watson.

Frank McWilliams

Steve Simpson
Have to agree Billy, is Watsons time, my preference is for Watson to play 14 and only 14 but injuries to key players have changed the circumstances. I hope he doesn’t overdo and try too much

KnightsUnite

Gary Wurth
Sounded like Ponga was 99% in AOB’s press conference?
Yeah first question he said if he isnt right i wont be playing him...

Then at the end said he could have played this week but wants him to have a full week of contact... I'm guessing if he passes a full week for full contact he will play...

Matty23

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
We’ve lost 5 of our past 5 games at Cbus, 4 of those being by 13+, and mostly embarrassing lop-sided contests. If the Titans can’t put on a cricket score with our current injury crisis and horrendous playing style then they may as well just fold.

This will be ugly. I’m not looking forward to Saturday one bit.

Kurriboy

Matthew Gidley
We’ve lost 5 of our past 5 games at Cbus, 4 of those being by 13+, and mostly embarrassing lop-sided contests. If the Titans can’t put on a cricket score with our current injury crisis and horrendous playing style then they may as well just fold.

This will be ugly. I’m not looking forward to Saturday one bit.

It is a worry, though those teams that got pumped by the Titans up there were very fragile, looking for any reason to not put in, not turn up. A bit of adversity and they fold.

Have we turned a corner on that yet? God I hope so.

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
There would be some interesting conversations going on today about who we can name and who we can't.
It looks like we have somewhere between 15 and 17 fit top 30 players, so we have to name at least 4 from outside the top 30 to make up 21.
People seem to be assuming that we can't actually use these players, so why name them?
I'd say if we want Chris Randall to play so we have another spine option, Sasagi or Saulo or Jones will mysteriously turn up lame on game day, forcing us to use Randall - or the sensible decision will be made that if players are exempted to be in the 21, they can be named where needed.

then comes the other question - several of our development players are nowhere near ready to play NRL and it would actually be dangerous to name a Jacob Kiraz, Christian Ma'amania or Garratt Smith in an NRL side, but we have guys like Matt Croker and Zac Hosking who would hold their own for short minutes at least.

If the rules say we can only name development players, we should only name 18 or 19, because it would just be a farce to name someone who would be killed if they played.

KnightsUnite

Gary Wurth
There would be some interesting conversations going on today about who we can name and who we can't.
It looks like we have somewhere between 15 and 17 fit top 30 players, so we have to name at least 4 from outside the top 30 to make up 21.
People seem to be assuming that we can't actually use these players, so why name them?
I'd say if we want Chris Randall to play so we have another spine option, Sasagi or Saulo or Jones will mysteriously turn up lame on game day, forcing us to use Randall - or the sensible decision will be made that if players are exempted to be in the 21, they can be named where needed.

then comes the other question - several of our development players are nowhere near ready to play NRL and it would actually be dangerous to name a Jacob Kiraz, Christian Ma'amania or Garratt Smith in an NRL side, but we have guys like Matt Croker and Zac Hosking who would hold their own for short minutes at least.

If the rules say we can only name development players, we should only name 18 or 19, because it would just be a farce to name someone who would be killed if they played.
It's going to be a rough 2 or 3 weeks until we get players back.

Then NRL should allow us to use some warriors on loan 😉

Interesting team to be named in 30 mins

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Musgrove and Sasagi are on the top 30 list and Randall isn't so someone has been able to make a sensible call.

mozza

Game on broheim
Great to see Ponga back. If we can have some luck on the injury front there’s no reason we can’t get a win.

Last edited:

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
None of the extended bench are named in reserve grade.
I suspect we are keeping them fit in case we need them in the future.