Round 4: Newcastle Knights vs St George Illawarra Dragons

What is your prediction for this game ??

• Knights 13+

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Knights 1-12

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dragons 1-12

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Dragons 13+

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I haven't said a word about Watson since the season started. Might want to ensure your comments are relevent. I think he is playing well. And i reckon Pearce is getting enough help from Ponga to allow Watson to pick and choose his involvement--admittedly the system is working better than I thought it would, Im very happy.

However that is not to say that Lamb cannot improve the team further. That being said, of that Im not as sure as I was during the preseason, mostly because Pearce is better than I thought he'd be.

Watson played 90% of his minutes in 2018 in a winning team. Lamb played 20% of his minutes in 2018 in a winning team. To compare raw stats like that is disingenuous. Lets see how Lamb goes over the next two weeks before pretending like we've won an argument. Geniuses.

And to label Lamb as a wooden spoon winning halfback.. honestly, im actually laughing as im typing this. That is the most wildly unfair critique any judge could possibly draw from his last season. In fact it speaks volumes about the judge, and not much at all about the player

When Watson isn't involved it's because he's rubbish, an L plater and can't play.
When Lamb isn't involved it's because he's forced to play second fiddle and the game plan is all based around Pearce.

Ken, that kick Lamb put through was terrible but he immediately redeemed himself with the tackle that forced a repeat set.

This season
Watson 181 minutes 2 try assists 1 try
Lamb 119 minutes 0 try assists 0 tries
Were both those assists from hooker? I know one was.

I haven't said a word about Watson since the season started. Might want to ensure your comments are relevent. I think he is playing well. And i reckon Pearce is getting enough help from Ponga to allow Watson to pick and choose his involvement--admittedly the system is working better than I thought it would, Im very happy.

However that is not to say that Lamb cannot improve the team further. That being said, of that Im not as sure as I was during the preseason, mostly because Pearce is better than I thought he'd be.

Watson played 90% of his minutes in 2018 in a winning team. Lamb played 20% of his minutes in 2018 in a winning team. To compare raw stats like that is disingenuous. Lets see how Lamb goes over the next two weeks before pretending like we've won an argument. Geniuses.

And to label Lamb as a wooden spoon winning halfback.. honestly, im actually laughing as im typing this. That is the most wildly unfair critique any judge could possibly draw from his last season. In fact it speaks volumes about the judge, and not much at all about the player

Hows the weather in Never Never Land Peter?

When Watson comes back and Lamb has had his opportunity for 6? Weeks then the coach will decide, I think they are both good but different players. It will be interesting to see how Lamb goes over the next few weeks playing alongside a top half and behind a stronger pack. Watson when fit will be back in the 17, 5/8 or bench at this stage is anyone's guess. Let's just give both of them a chance to show us. I don't think Lamb will see it as filling in but an opportunity to cement a spot in the same way Watson saw it at the start of the season.

Arguing over the 5/8 spot still? Please Watson has been 'slow' couple of passes to set up some tries off a quick play the ball were nice but not what I would call first class..

Lamb hasn't done much besides round 1 he looked dangerous...

As for last week, Watson broke his shoulder the only thing he achieved in that match, Lamb did SFA just like the other 15 players on the field after Watson went off.

Honestly, Sione and Slade were pretty decent against the Rooters that's about it...

Lets see what we can do without a wasted bench spot... a half shouldn't be on the bench its beyond stupid...

Lamb has 6 - 12 weeks to make it his if he doesnt then Watson takes it back and Lamb can sign for another club.

Honestly.. Sio has done nothing in Cup and has zero speed... Ross hasn't been lighting the world on fire but has SKD?

Ross starts IMO

Time will tell who deserves the 5/8th spot but both have different play styles, I think I said earlier in the off season that injuries will happened and Lamb will get his chance just wasn't expecting it to so soon unfortunately for Watson.
I will say Knights play well when Lamb and Watson were on the field together, I reckon later on in the season they will both be starting in the side. For me don't care who wears the 6 jersey if they are both on the field it just gets the opposition defence guessing who will be coming in hooker or will get to second receiver. As long as we scoring tries and winning that's all that matters, just play for the team and each other.

Give it rest ay, no need to keep beating the same drums.

Lamb gets his shot, we will see how he goes over the next 6 weeks or so. The rest will take care of itself.

It's not like there is a selection choice between lamb and watson at the moment.

I thought SKD made some great charges against the Rorters.
I'd love to see what sort of ad-lib plays Ponga and the wingers can put on from kick returns.

A strong run from SKD with Ponga backing up in open space with the other winger lurking could see some big early metres.
I feel that getting the Dragons on the back foot from the get-go is going to be key to getting over them this weekend.

Hazard was replaced in the starting 5/8 spot by Jack Johns on the weekend.
How do you see Johns' development coming along? Even with the pending departure of Cogger there's still players ahead of him in the pecking order. Regardless of his talent I'm guessing his progression to the top grade is a couple of seasons away.

Think Lamb will get more than two weeks, deservedly, everyone deserves a few games or more to adjust and get combinations right, sure he will prefer starting to coming in part way.
As bad as Ross and Moga went I think they should be given a bit more time together it's not like we have any standout replacements.

Back