Round 3: Newcastle Knights vs Penrith Panthers

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by rhugh89, Mar 22, 2020.

?

What is your prediction for this game ??

This poll will close on May 31, 2020 at 3:32 PM.
  1. Knights 13+

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Knights 1-12

9 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Panthers 1-12

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Panthers 13+

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Ak-47

Ak-47 Kade Snowden

I think this will be a close game, back end on the game we can lay on more points as our forward pack looks more mobile and fit this season.
    Big plus for us is the loss of Cleary for them that will split the teams apart in the end.

2. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

I wonder what's happening with Bayden Searle?
    I see his old Dubbo halves partner, Matt Burton, is tipped to be Penrith's halfback.
    Searle has had a great first year for us.
    He started last year in under 20s, moved to reserve grade mid season and ended up with better fantasy points than Crossland and Lino, got a run in the preseason squad before Christmas and went so well they kept him all the way to the trials - and now - he's not in the top 32 - so he is done for the year. He can't even play in the hybrid games if they get up.

He's done everything asked of him and beaten every expectation anyone had of him, and his old mate will be starting in firstgrade and he might get a game in the lower hunter second division if that goes ahead as planned, after looking very close to getting a development contract after pre season.

3. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

All the talk about tik tok Cleary being out but we're missing 3 of our best players and half the spine. No Brailey for the season is huge and just makes me sad.
    Will be a very good result if we get up.

I read somewhere that after Buderus our hookers have been cursed. Kostjaysen got a career ending injury before playing a game, Griffin had 16 games before his career ender, now Brailey does an ACL 1.5 games in.

4. danknights

danknights Ben Kennedy

Retire the 9 and 7 jersey. They are now number 20 and 21.

5. Billy

Mullo played first receiver (halfback) for at least half his career - maybe most of it - but he wouldn't wear the 7 if he could avoid it.

6. Lefty

Lefty Todd Bates

Retired
    Frank McWilliams and Jack like this.
  7. Billy

No excuses for him if he hasn't been training his arse off for the last 3 months.
    He has known the spot is his for the taking since Brailey got injured.

Having said that, he gets a pass mark if he just does a 5/10 performance and doesn't cost us the game, and if he can make improvements over the season, that will be great.

Huth is an interesting one too.
    He is as good a dummy half as we have seen in the juniors - although Noah Naigoliva in under 18s might have him covered - but I just don't see him being able to defend at NRL level anytime soon.

Last edited: May 20, 2020 at 8:26 PM
  8. Owey

Owey Graeme Foster

As long as Randall makes his tackles and gives Pearce the ball quickly when he wants it, his job is pretty much done. Anything else is a bonus. Huth reminds me of Reed Mahoney build wise, and I must say i was very surprised seeing how well Mahoney tackled the first time I saw him live.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

9. Billy

Huth has had 5 games of reserve grade, all off the bench, and averages just over 12 fantasy points a game.

That's not having a go at him - just pointing out he hasn't exactly mastered reserve grade yet.

10. alexwilliams

alexwilliams Darren Meredith

Wood machinist
    Has Randall?

11. Billy

Yes.
    We don't have all his stats because his early stats were credited to Tyler Randell, but the 33 they are giving him, he is averaging 42 fantasy points.
    The game in round 1 this year he made 47 tackles, played 79 minutes, ran 95 metres and got 65 fantasy points.
    Even though they have moved him around a lot to make way for contracted players in reserves, he has been one of the top 2 or 3 in reserves for at least 2 years.
    Zac Woolford was the player of the year for reserve grade comp in 2018, and in 2019 Randall took his spot as starting hooker.

12. Billy

So, if McCulloch is currently doing what Tuala did when he signed - driving straight down - he could do a week and a half of training.
    He's a guy with 260 firstgrade games and rep experience, so he should be able to pick up our gameplan pretty quick, but 9 days is pushing it.
    If he isn't rushing down today, I don't think he's any chance of playing.
    All in all, I'd go with Randall for the first game because he's had as good a preparation for this game as possible, but he'll have to have a blinder to keep his spot.

Ak-47 and Lefty like this.
  13. Ak-47

Ak-47 Kade Snowden

He could be a chance not sure what quarantine procedures McCollough needs to do to clear?? But if he good to start then i see why not straight walk in, like you said rep player, and experience. I must say i havent been paying much attention to his career soo i dont know what his form is like these days, all i know he had troubles with injuries past few seasons.

14. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    If Andrew turns up the night before he'll be playing, not hard to go basic and shovel it our forwards until Pearce/Mann/(than Ponga) call for it.

15. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Not good, hence the Broncos letting him walk. He's still OK defensively which I guess is why O'Brien was interested. Good hard competitor too.

Interestingly he has a player option for 2021 at the Broncos so if his stint with us doesn't net him a longer term deal somewhere he probably ends up back there.

Ak-47 likes this.
  16. Billy

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au...d-aob-rookies-to-watch-spine-plan-leadership/

Good interview with Joey asking some good questions.
    Good to hear that Pasami is impressing the coach.
    The layoff has probably been really good for Pasami. He has a young family and was on low money last year, so he really looked like he was playing injured a lot of the time, and he was injured in his previous pre seasons as well.
    I think he had a really good pre season this year and has now had a good chance to train without doing contact work, so he should be in great shape for the first time since he had that one great year in under 18s where he looked like the next big thing and won all the awards.
    Interesting that he has had a sit down dinner with Jonah Pezet. Not many 16 year olds have meet up with the head coach to talk footy.
    Brad Best - as good a centre for his age as he's seen says O'Brien. He is only 18 though.
    Mitch Black held his own at training in pre season. What a shame he only gets to play 1 game of Flegg this year.

Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 8:07 PM
  17. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Timana Tahu

I'm guessing with his release to us his contract with the Broncs was terminated so no more player option.

18. Lefty

Lefty Todd Bates

Retired
    As I have posted in the Toohey’s news thread, McCullough has a clause in his favour for next year at the Broncos. I don’t understand how this works when he has signed a contract with the Knights for this year.

19. krustykraz

krustykraz Todd Bates

Do we think Mann will still be the starting 5/8?

20. Owey

Owey Graeme Foster

Yes. So far he has done the job Obi has set out for him.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk