Round 23: Newcastle Knights vs Penrith Panthers

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by rhugh89, Aug 11, 2018.

?

What is your prediction for this game ??

Poll closed Aug 18, 2018.
  1. Knights 13+

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Knights 1-12

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Panthers 1-12

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. Panthers 13+

11 vote(s)
    61.1%
  1. Joel

Joel Touche...

Yep. Kurriboy might think I'm crazy but I see a lot more errors in attack from Levi then defense from Griffin. Also with Watson/Pearce/Ponga as the rest of the spine he is a calming toiler who doesn't make me feel like I'm watching a freakin roller coaster.

This is kinda similar to the Lamb being the better 5/8 with Watson injured discussion. Just this time Levi has like half a year or thereabouts to prove himself.

2. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

Stoked that I decided to go down to Penrith for the game. A real gutsy win. The type of win this club was built on.

Made plenty of errors but for once we defended the errors. Our forwards more than held their own against a top forward pack. Bloody proud of the effort.

No spoon this year!!!

3. nunnsy

nunnsy Ashley Gordon

Our starting forwards were very good and have been decent most of the year, our bench and depth is the concern going into next year for our forwards. I think any game we win the forward battle we should win with Pearce and ponga in the side. Pearce's kicking game was brilliant yesterday apart from the one mishap.

4. nunnsy

nunnsy Ashley Gordon

I would not class Levi as a rocks or diamonds player. When your talking rocks or diamonds your talking guys like bj leliu who can be downright awful or a world beater. IMO levi is pretty consistent and his bad games I would say he was solid maybe average at worst . Levi still has a bit to learn and sometimes makes the wrong decision but his service is a lot quicker and gets our forwards over the advantage line. Griffin is a better defender and that's about it. And personally I think Danny's defence has improved massively.

5. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Well in NRL no Lamb or Cogger improves defence. Poor old Jack spent the last few weeks on his derriere after trying to tackle the big boppers coming through. Plenty of guts he kept backing up.

Don't see why Browny would not make Watson and Ponga interchangeable at 5/8 depending on attack or defence, field position, reading tiredness level of opposition forwards etc.

6. rhugh89

rhugh89 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

7. Chonski

Chonski David Boyd

Catching up on posts as I watched it late last night.
    As many have said - where has that defensive attitude been???
    I sat there just waiting for us to fold but we kept turning up. They missed Maloney, but overall that effort was great to watch

Guerra was awesome imo and the starting props aimed up well too

The 2 selections I've been questioning the most...
    Denniss - was great defensively and got a try so good job, although the kick put it on a platter for him
    King - good defence, but still nothing in attack. Assume his defence is why JJ made way, but man it's rough watching him take hitups.
    You want any forward, especially a prop, to be getting 8+m per carry, some post contact mongrel, and find their front or stay on their feet for the play the ball. To me he's failing on all of those

No spoon is awesome!

8. krustykraz

krustykraz Trent Estatheo

We are 10th on the ladder.
    And will most likely stay there for the week unless the Raiders beat the Chooks.

9. Ak-47

Ak-47 Tony Townsend

Having Levi start and play longer is good for the team, I understand Griffin offers good defence and that's it but when we all ready the worst defensive team does he really matter?? lol

slotmachine likes this.
  10. Joel

Joel Touche...

I agree, definitely not in the mold of Leilua. But the expectation of a dummy half and centre just isn't comparable. As Brown said recently on NRL360 "dumb dummy half, dumb football team".

As an 70/80 minute hooker or whatever his decision making at times just kills me (taking it himself before halftime, instead of taking the 2 for example). Hypothetically in a finals situation and our team at full strength (pipe dream) I'd be backing Griffin to be the one not to screw up. With Ponga/Pearce/Watson our attacking prowess doesn't just cease to exist with Griffin steadying the ship.

11. knightime

knightime Matthew Rodwell

The try for Sio yesterday was great. Dummy half runs by (I think) Sio, Denniss, Ponga, Levi and Sio again, making something like 80-90m and scoring in the corner. Oh man. Got a Semi Radradra just watching it.

12. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

Yeah was a great set. Talk about making a side pay for giving away a 7 tackle set.

Sione’s try also got me half chubbed. Silky little play that was.

Ccmknightspur and knightime like this.
  13. nunnsy

nunnsy Ashley Gordon

I get what your saying griffin is probably the safer option . If we were 2 in front in a grand final with a few minutes to go I would feel more confident with slade there then levi. In saying that I still think levi offers more overall and his decision making is getting better and he creates a lot more opportunities in attack then slade. Yes Pearce and ponga are brilliant but they still need crisp service out of dummy half and IMO that's were levi has it all over slade.

Beaumont likes this.
  14. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Levi has improved a lot this year.
    He is 4 years and 11 months younger than Griffin - still 22 years old till December.
    Even Danny Buderus didn't play for Australia or NSW till he was 23/24, and didn't reach his peak till about the age Griffin is now (27 or so).
    Levi will get better and better at deciding when to run and who to pass to. His defence will also improve as he develops more stamina with age. The only fault with his defence now is that he starts falling off tackles when he is too tired, and even that isn't real evident this year, so maybe he is already fit enough.

It's fair to tell Levi when he makes a bad decision, but I don't think we should be stopping him from having a go when he feels he has a shot, because he will learn over time when to do it better.

Having said that, we can use both of them because Griffin can play a long spell in the forwards if we need him to. We can get the best out of both these guys.

15. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    Our attack when Levi's on the field is chalk and cheese compared to when Griffin's there. Levi's defence has improved out of sight. Griffin's great but it's a no contest as far as who's the best dummy half. Sadly I'd say we've seen the last of Griffin if the pictures of the damage to his knee were accurate.

member 2299 likes this.
  16. danknights

danknights Steve Simpson

Everybody knows your attack starts at dummy half. Said it a thousand times before.

17. packo

packo :) (:

Government
    Considering the dummy half picks the ball up to start the tackle I’d say you’re bang on.

18. Ak-47

Ak-47 Tony Townsend

Not sure how reliable the stats are on Knight FB page but says Guerra 44 tackles and Levi 0 missed tackles, 31 tackles that's a huge effort from those guys.

Beaumont likes this.
  19. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Adam Woolnough

Guerra just keeps giving, big on defence but still runs the line to score tries, look forward to next season where he will hopefully play right edge, Glasby or Esee at 13, Barnett to bench or reserves, no slight on Barnett.

20. danknights

danknights Steve Simpson

Left myself open for that didn't I haha.