Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Warriors 1-12

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Warriors 13+

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
Why anyone expected Phoenix to “grab it by the throat” is beyond me. He’s played ONE full game as a starting half. What do you expect, for him to instantly turn into a Clearly, Munster or Keary? Please. The kid has played 8 games and still hasn’t fully developed or gotten much game time against men. With more games in reserves once Green and Mann are back I’m sure he’ll show some steady progression. He looked very eager defensively which at times he was a bit too enthusiastic but he was strong otherwise. The attack will come, don’t write him off before he’s got a chance to prove himself. Ffs, people do my head in. Be patient.

Why anyone expected Phoenix to “grab it by the throat” is beyond me. He’s played ONE full game as a starting half. What do you expect, for him to instantly turn into a Clearly, Munster or Keary? Please. The kid has played 8 games and still hasn’t fully developed or gotten much game time against men. With more games in reserves once Green and Mann are back I’m sure he’ll show some steady progression. He looked very eager defensively which at times he was a bit too enthusiastic but he was strong otherwise. The attack will come, don’t write him off before he’s got a chance to prove himself. Ffs, people do my head in. Be patient.

I think what people expected myself included was for him to at least distribute the ball in a few plays each half. I don’t recall noticing any. And I think that’s been the feeling of others also. He was great in defence but attack meh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think what people expected myself included was for him to at least distribute the ball in a few plays each half. I don’t recall noticing any. And I think that’s been the feeling of others also. He was great in defence but attack meh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's taken 100 games for us to "notice" Cleary and his a halfback.

Anyone notice him getting in the ingoal on our first set in a potential try scoring role? Good attack if you ask me.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Part of me thinks if a player doesnt hit first grade as a state of origin ready player we write them off quickly.

I guess we want juniors to come through and force their way in to the team. Not just get given a go due to injury.

Ive been critical of Mann at 5/8 hecause we really need a playmaker to help Pearce. We get one of our genuine playmaker juniors get a shot and produce very little.

I dunno, im not writing him off, but I dont see how he gets another chance at it given Mann coming back and Clifford here next year.

I dont see him forcing Mann from 5/8.

To me the clubs long term vision for the spine is:

2022: ponga/clifford/pearce/brailey
2023: hodgson/ponga/clifford/brailey

If the hoys and crosslands of the world want to stick around for not much money as depth then they can probably do the job if called upon.
And if they develop into better than depth that is a nice problem to have, or they can look for starting gigs elsewhere.
I'm not losing much sleep over how good a depth player performs in their first grade debut.

Last edited:
Part of me thinks if a player doesnt hit first grade as a state of origin ready player we write them off quickly.

I guess we want juniors to come through and force their way in to the team. Not just get given a go due to injury.

Ive been critical of Mann at 5/8 hecause we really need a playmaker to help Pearce. We get one of our genuine playmaker juniors get a shot and produce very little.

I dunno, im not writing him off, but I dont see how he gets another chance at it given Mann coming back and Clifford here next year.

I dont see him forcing Mann from 5/8.
I agree with what Billy was saying, the next step in his development is to go back and apply what he has learnt in first grade in a string of games in reserve grade. At this point he is behind Pearce, Green and Mann in the pecking order and barring injury, he is honing his craft in reggies. At some point you want him to develop to the point where he steps up the pecking order a touch, and is playing first grade ahead of some above him atm. Right now, he is playing first grade because of unavailablities.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Forgive the dumb question, but does anyone know if players are eligible to play NSW Cup when they are suspended in first grade?

I like the skills Clifford has, but O'Brien must have a plan to whip him into a bit of shape.
Last year I compared stats for Clifford and Lino, and defence was pretty similar.
This year Clifford has made 19.5 tackles a game at 78% efficiency.
Crossland has made 33 tackles a game at 89% efficiency.
They are both 6' tall but Clifford is 9kg heavier.
Crossland could still do with bulking up a bit, but Clifford is carrying a bit of weight he could do without.

Crossland is 3 years younger than Clifford and already looks harder working and a stronger defender. If Crossland has a good year of development this year, Clifford better be prepared to train hard next off season because all he has over Crossland at this point is a few years of experience.

I like the skills Clifford has, but O'Brien must have a plan to whip him into a bit of shape.
Last year I compared stats for Clifford and Lino, and defence was pretty similar.
This year Clifford has made 19.5 tackles a game at 78% efficiency.
Crossland has made 33 tackles a game at 89% efficiency.
They are both 6' tall but Clifford is 9kg heavier.
Crossland could still do with bulking up a bit, but Clifford is carrying a bit of weight he could do without.

Crossland is 3 years younger than Clifford and already looks harder working and a stronger defender. If Crossland has a good year of development this year, Clifford better be prepared to train hard next off season because all he has over Crossland at this point is a few years of experience.

If Clifford stays on next year, I think he or Clifford will be in the 14 (whoever doesn’t take the 6 jersey). Can’t see us keeping both Mann and Watson, so assuming either of those two takes the 13, then the 14 should be up for grabs.

They didn't sign Clifford to play 14.
Much like when we signed Watson he'll get first shot in the halves, I hope it works out better this time.

I cant speak for anyone else but i didn't expect him to be a SOO player but i did expect him to play better in attack than he did .
You have 4 major weapons in attack on the field 9,7,6 and 1 and you cant afford to not have one of them firing.

They didn't sign Clifford to play 14.
Much like when we signed Watson he'll get first shot in the halves, I hope it works out better this time.

No doubt, but as you mentioned Watson, they didn’t sign him to play 14 either, although that’s been his default position really since he’s been here. The expectation is Clifford will play at 6, but if Crossland stays and steps up as a better option there, Clifford could find his way to the 14. Only speculating though. We’re still a year out from knowing for sure haha.

No doubt, but as you mentioned Watson, they didn’t sign him to play 14 either, although that’s been his default position really since he’s been here. The expectation is Clifford will play at 6, but if Crossland stays and steps up as a better option there, Clifford could find his way to the 14. Only speculating though. We’re still a year out from knowing for sure haha.

I honestly hope Crossland kills it in reggies and forces that competition for position.

I just can't see it happening, and I can't see how if the team keeps coming along with the results, coach is going to look to make a change to the spine.

I really hope I'm proven wrong with Crossland and he blitzes it.

When Clifford gets here if Crossland cant keep him out of first grade in the 6 jumper could Crossland play Lock. He is taller than Watson and only 3k lighter and as we all saw he defended well ...
Not saying i think he could or should but when Clifford gets here it may be hard to keep Crossland .
The kid has talent and it may be the only way to keep him here , although thinking about it Pearce wont be here after next season so there's Crosslands chance i guess .
Even though i gave him a bit of a hard time over his attack last week i wouldnt want him leaving , just a bit more time in Reggies is the go imo .

No one said we wouldn’t be keeping Pearce past next season. Obi even alluded to the in his recent presser.

No one said we wouldn’t be keeping Pearce past next season. Obi even alluded to the in his recent presser.

And I for one am very thankful for this. Absolute gun at following the game plan ole Pearcey.

Last season OB must have laid down the "run out there and just be mediocre" gameplan. Nailed it! :giggle:

Oh, and OB is hardly going to come out saying the plan is not to have Pearce in 2 years, given he has almost two seasons to go.

Back