Round 11: Newcastle Knights vs Sydney Roosters

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by rhugh89, May 20, 2019.

?

What is your prediction for this game ??

Poll closed May 24, 2019.
  1. Knights 13+

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  2. Knights 1-12

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Roosters 1-12

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  5. Roosters 13+

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Titans playing well hahaha.
    0-4 then just got up vs the Panthers who by that stage had fallen in a heap.
    Then got us and scored 3 lucky af tries from dropped balls and us not reacting to it to stop the tries.
    #goldfishmemory

2. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    It wasn't the losing that bothered me it was the lack of effort and urgency in areas of the game. They looked an unhappy team.

daniels, Matty23 and Battler like this.
  3. Ethan

Ethan Steve Simpson

Its no excuse We DID only just get beaten in those 4 games and we had a lot more debutants than those teams .

4. knightime

knightime Adrian Brunker

The fact that we came up short in those games where the other side was off themselves shows how poorly we were playing. I'm sure fans of those other teams would also be miffed with their teams' performances despite getting those wins, and rightly so.

We've got star quality across the park now. We've been playing like we do have that quality the past few weeks, however the fact that we only just lost those games doesn't mitigate how badly we played. If we can maintain our form from this point, it won't matter anyway.

Kurriboy likes this.
  5. krustykraz

krustykraz Ben MacDougall

JWH found guilty and suspended for 2 games.
    Grub.

It's enough for a 2 game suspension but not a penalty after a bunker review. what a joke.

6. R_A

R_A Adam Woolnough

Yeah the refs royally screwed up the on field call, Cummins especially for it...that said despite his rap sheet and being a grub, two weeks is about right for that level of stupidity so I'm fine with it and happy to move on.

7. Owey

Owey Brian Quinton

I'd argue intent on that tackle. He was sooooooo late and he positions his shoulder on the way down to cause maximum damage to the head area of a player heading to the ground. I think two weeks is a bare minimum. Especially with priors. At the end of the day, if those two weeks are a deterrent to others, that's the important thing.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

8. Owey

Owey Brian Quinton

I've actually thought about what I'd do as a referee in the first JWH incident with Ponga. To have a player directly challenging me by eyeballing me while holding a player down by the neck, I'd see that as a direct questioning of my authority. For that level of cynicism, in wouldn't rule out a sin bin. Having said that, I've never seen anything like that before, and I'm not sure the refs on the night would have either. I'm fairly sure they made the best decision they could have at the time. I'm also fairly sure that the lack of action against that one lead directly to the late hit in the second half. JWH had an agenda, and wasn't swayed from it.

Wobbles likes this.
  9. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Sean Rudder

Of course he had an agenda. Coach would have likely given him and any forward the task of putting a hit on Ponga whenever possible to try to nullify him a bit.

Ponga is a target and always will be. The tackle was a bit late, but otherwise nothing in it but solid contact.

Don't see anyone complaining about D Safs rough tackle on Keary that took him out of the game. Not late, but a solid hit and he drove him in to the ground. Exactly what a forward should be doing.

packo likes this.
  10. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Nah wasn't the same. The Saifiti on Keary one was just unfortunate & bad luck. The JWH one was blatantly late, the ball was gone, JWH had time to pull out but went on with it, then topped it off with a shoulder driving into the head. JWH is just doing his job as an aggressive forward to the opposition star player, but this particular one was illegal in my eyes. I thought a sin bin would have sufficed or at the very least a penalty. To come away with nothing hurt. I wouldn't have suspended him for it but maybe that was a bit of pay back from the MRC after no action was taken on the night.

11. knightime

knightime Adrian Brunker

The fact that we flogged the Chooks and JWH was suspended for 2 weeks was satisfying enough for me.

Wobbles and Lefty like this.
  12. Wobbles

Wobbles Michael Eagar

Yep, not arguing there.

Don't know whether it's been raised before anywhere, but given suspensions benefit the team(s) they play next and the side who was disadvantaged get nothing (unless the player gets marched) how's this for an idea:

- If a player is suspended by the match review committee, one of the suspended matches must include the next time he plays that side. For example, a 3 match suspension for foul play would mean he's suspended for the next 2 matches, with the 3rd match suspension delayed until their next meeting.

Of course, this could get awkward if he ends up joining that club with that match yet to be served...

Just food for thought

88Knight4life likes this.
  13. 88Knight4life

Love the idea, send a letter to nrl.com with the idea

Wobbles likes this.
  14. Owey

Owey Brian Quinton

I quite like that idea. It is always annoying that the team that was fouled gets no benefit. How would it work around finals though? Say, a player gets one week in round 12 for a careless high tackle, and the next time they play the same team is a grand final?

15. Owey

Owey Brian Quinton

Actually, that works in with my idea of grading matches. I want to see the best players playing the best matches. Keeping the current points the same, I'd make finals matches worth 175 points, and origin and a grand final worth 250. Take the grand final for example. You get a suspension worth 150 points. As that is less then the gf threshold, you play the gf match, but serve the suspension in your next club match. If you get a suspension worth 300 points, you miss the gf, and have 50 carryover points. I think we've seen a couple of guys miss big matches for things that deserved a week, but not a gf.

16. knightime

knightime Adrian Brunker

Great idea, although not sure how it would go with injuries as well. Although we receive no benefit from JWH's suspension, we receive the benefit of other teams' players getting suspended. For example, if Cam Murray gets suspended after tonight (touch wood for the Blues that he doesn't), we'd potentially benefit from that.

A similar idea could be that if a player is fined for contrary conduct, that fine could be paid to the Club who was on the receiving end. It could be paid towards that other Club's junior development or something. Not sure how fines are dealt with currently but just an idea to promote grassroots development and ensure the 'wronged' Club receives some benefit.

17. Wobbles

Wobbles Michael Eagar

Done. Let's see if it gets a response

18. 88Knight4life

You will, its if they want to right a article on it that im interested in.
    Hopefully it gets some traction.

Maybe forward it to Barry Toohey as well.

19. Wobbles

Wobbles Michael Eagar

Good call, I'll do that. I'll see what Matty Johns has to say too.

Will keep y'all posted.

Go the Blues!

Ethan and 88Knight4life like this.
  20. Speedymetric

Speedymetric Glen Miller

Will never work.

Not all clubs play each other twice so depending on draws you could effectively serve say two matches straight away with the next two games then be forced to miss a game 12 months later in a completely different season if that is the next time you play.

Also if a player who signs with another club but has a "pending" suspension when he goes to his new club it is the new club which is disadvantaged. Why should a club that had nothing to do with the game involved be disadvantaged at a random time down the track?