Round 1: Newcastle Knights vs NZ Warriors

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by rhugh89, Jan 6, 2020.

?

What is your prediction for this game ??

Poll closed Mar 14, 2020.
  1. Knights 1-12

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. Knights 13+

12 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. Draw

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Warriors 1-12

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. Warriors 13+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rhugh89

rhugh89 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

[​IMG][​IMG]

SATURDAY 14TH MARCH, 2020 @ 3:00PM (AEDT)
    MCDONALD JONES STADIUM, NEWCASTLE

OFFICIALS

REFEREES: HENRY PERENARA AND ZIGGY PRZEKLASA ADAMSKI
    SIDELINE OFFICIALS: KASEY BADGER AND NICK MOREL
    VIDEO REFEREES: BEN GALEA AND JARED MAXWELL

LOWER GRADES

JERSEY FLEGG CUP: NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS VS SYDNEY ROOSTERS
    SATURDAY 14TH MARCH, 2020 @ 3:30PM (AEDT)
    MAITLAND SPORTS GROUND, MAITLAND

NSW CUP: NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS VS NEW ZEALAND WARRIORS
    SATURDAY 14TH MARCH, 2020 @ 12:40PM (AEDT)
    MCDONALD JONES STADIUM, NEWCASTLE

KNIGHTS TEAM

1. KALYN PONGA
    2. EDRICK LEE
    3. ENARI TUALA
    4. GEHAMAT SHIBASAKI
    5. HYMEL HUNT
    6. KURT MANN
    7. MITCHELL PEARCE (C)
    8. DAVID KLEMMER
    9. JAYDEN BRAILEY
    10. DANIEL SAIFITI
    11. LACHLAN FITZGIBBON
    12. MITCHELL BARNETT
    13. HERMAN ESE'ESE

14. CONNOR WATSON
    15. JACOB SAIFITI
    16. TIM GLASBY
    17. AIDAN GUERRA

18. PASAMI SAULO
    19. STARFORD TO'A

INFO

MATCH CENTRE
    STATS
    TICKETS

UPCOMING MILESTONES

- KALYN PONGA WILL PLAY HIS 50TH NRL GAME IN THIS MATCH

2. rhugh89

rhugh89 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Only 68 days left....But whos counting :giggle:

3. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

I just want to hibernate for the next 68 days.

4. Owey

Owey Wayne Richards

The nines and trials help a little...

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

5. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Under 16s and 18s should start their trials in the next week or two, and the season should start in 3 or 4 weeks.
    We have dominated 16s for the last 5 years or so, and our 18s side should be outstanding this year, with our 16s for the last 2 years being really strong.
    Looking at the Flegg draw, I think we'll be using Maitland's renovated ground as our junior base this year, which is a very good ground and an easy walk from a train station if I can't be bothered driving.
    In recent years these games are the highlights of the season for me.
    It makes a great change to go to games expecting we'll win every week.

Ethan, Battler and Owey like this.
  6. R_A

R_A Ben Kennedy

Very different team to the baby Knights side that lost a close one to the Warriors several months ago.
    Hopefully motivates the guys who did play that game to do better

7. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

If I were to name a team based on fitness and what’s been talked about over the pre-season, I’d go with:

1. Ponga
    2. Lee
    3. Best
    4. Moga
    5. Hunt
    6. Mann
    7. Pearce
    8. Klemmer
    9. Brailey
    10. D Saifiti
    11. Fitzgibbon
    12. Barnett
    13. Glasby

14. Watson
    15. Guerra
    16. Mata’utia
    17. Ese’ese

I think centre/wing is probably the hardest to predict currently. You’d assume Lee and Best would be locks for one wing and centre spot. There’s also talk that Hunt is shifting to the right side and maybe to the wing. Moga, Shibasaki, Tuala and To’a all have to battle it out for the remaining two. If it were up to me I’d be picking Moga and Hunt at full fitness.

8. R_A

R_A Ben Kennedy

Anyone think Tuala will be bought in and makes his mark in First Grade in a similar way Hunt did?

He certainly didn't come here to play reserves...

9. Battler

Battler Joseph 'BJ' Leilua

100%

I think he is very capable/talented and I'd like to hope he is in there with a fighters chance.

I liked the signing at the time.

10. Watcher

Watcher Nathan Ross

Warriors here, happy new year to you all and hope you and yours are well.

Very quiet off season for us, only signing is Egan from Penrith. Warriors have new owners who have openly criticised the contract situation. Of course we also have Nathan Brown supposedly looking after the Dummy Halves, but I think his experience in rebuilding after Bennett wih you blokes may be pertinent. Be interested in your views.

Playing wise I think there will be a changing of the guard, the back three and Hiku stay I think taane Milne gets a Centre spot. My halves are Keighran and Harris-Tavita, both quite green but talented and Keighran is left footed. I have to confess no one agrees and think Nikori.a and Green.

We have no big boppers up front but also several young blokes like Curren and Frei gagging for a place.word is that an emphasis on moving the ball and support running is being worked. Hope so, the best Warriors teams use the ball.

Sorry to waffle on so long, as usual it will be a beauty between our teams. I really must get to Newcastle some time.

Wobbles and Ethan like this.
  11. Lefty

Lefty Todd Bates

Retired
    Your fine Watcher.

Brown demonstrated at Newcastle that he is very good and rebuilding teams and sorting out salary caps but he can’t coach. As long as the Warriors don’t let him coach he will be a valuable addition to their team.

12. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Ben Kennedy

Cant say he was any good at developing players either. I didnt see any change to our hookers skills that they didnt already have, assuming he is at the warriors training the hookers.

Lefty likes this.
  13. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Timana Tahu

Unfortunately Brown for all his hooking experience made a mockery of that position at Newcastle, he had lots to work with but failed to grasp each players potential and use them to advantage, if I was a potential firsts hooker at warriors I would be very concerned.

Lefty likes this.
  14. Billy

I tried to work out what Brown wanted from a hooker, but he gave every sort of hooker you could imagine a try - from Bhana to Watson and everything in between - and he was never happy. He even fell out of love with Griffin in the end, despite Griffin seeming to be his perfect prototype for a while.

15. Watcher

Watcher Nathan Ross

That is a worry, our top Hookers are Egan, Lawton and Roache, last two injury prone. That leaves Tevaga. Harris-Tavita had a run there as well ( watch him, he has the capability to be special)

16. R_A

R_A Ben Kennedy

What do you mean by this? Just the way the roster/salaries are at the moment?

How was the club run by the previous owner? Eric Watson from memory. From my understanding he wasn't as hands on but happy to sign the cheques.

17. Watcher

Watcher Nathan Ross

How was the club run, badly in a word, we have the highest merchandise sales which seemed to satisfy them above on field success.

Contracts, basically too long and too much. There hasnt been proper management for years. This year we have 12 off contract. We have trouble attracting Aussie players and usually have to pay massive overs. We have local talent but it is woefully under developed.

Anyhoo, most settled pre season since the away game at Jurrasic Park. 12 off contract should mean some head down arse up attitudes. Frankly some of the efforts are an embarrassment to Kiwi sport.

Sorry, rant over.

18. Billy

We'll actually get to see if all the pain we went through under Brown was worth it this year.
    Brown made the point that there was a partying and drinking culture at the Knights when he arrived, and said careers were shortened because of it.
    He set about cutting players - some for on field reasons - but many for off field reasons.
    He went through about 100 players and kept the ones he thought had a lot of improvement in them, and savagely cut the others.
    Sadly, he isn't a coach who can get the best out of young and developing players.

This year we have a young and developing squad with almost every player having a lot of improvement in them under the right coach, and a coach with a reputation for being able to develop young players.

If a miracle happened and we won the premiership this year, Brown deserves half the credit.

19. R_A

R_A Ben Kennedy

Yeah pretty much. The biggest concern for me like you said was that despite making the Finals in reserves (both Under 20s and NSW Cup) they threw the chequebook at other players, as marquee buys rather then develop their own which has worked in the past and plugged holes along the way.

I get that it's hard to lure players across the tasman to New Zealand but there are plenty of Warriors players who stayed there and carved out nice careers too.

RTS which worked out okay after his ACL tear, likewise with Tohu Harris (minus injury)

Foran which was a disaster, likewise with Isaac Luke

Adam Blair which was also an unnecessary signing for the years and length

Hoffman seemed unnecessary as well for the dollars and length

Green was a nice addition who came from successful systems and contributed every where he went.

Too many instances of being impatient with players who had success as well like Kata/Hurrell/Lolohea...

Panthers had the same issue before going back to their roots, and felt the Broncos were going away from it too, despite being able to bring in solid juniors.

One thing I did notice was the club going backwards when guys like Hohaia and Luck left...they seemed to be real no nonsense guys that led with their actions rather then words. Mannering has done a good job in the mean time since then though up until he retired but felt like losing those guys was like losing the 'soul' Ruben Wiki back in the day as well IMO.

What have the new owners said about the team? Everyone on notice?

20. R_A

R_A Ben Kennedy

I remember when the 'big head, little head' controversy was out and everyone had their two cents on it.

Gallen who was on Sports Sunday said that Mooney when he took over things (being mates from their Sharks days) was stunned at how disastrous the cap situation was (being 700k over in 2017) from memory, players on massively back ended contracts and money they shouldn't have been on. Seemed like the only player Stone signed other then Bennett's boys being on the way was Hodko.

So if Brown doesnt get the recognition for the teams success going forward then he certainly should for inheriting and putting up with that mess which is probably the worst since Ricky Stuart tore down the Eels, signed a bunch of scrubs and left a year into that contract.