Round 1: Newcastle Knights vs Cronulla Sharks

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by rhugh89, Dec 19, 2018.

?

What is your prediction for this game ??

Poll closed Mar 14, 2019.
  1. Knights 1-12

19 vote(s)
    54.3%
  2. Knights 13+

11 vote(s)
    31.4%
  3. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sharks 13+

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. Sharks 1-12

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  1. Chief Longhorn

Chief Longhorn Adam Muir

Good to see a Knights junior doing well!

packo likes this.
  2. Ethan

Ethan Steve Simpson

Morris may not have been the most talented player but he always looked to be the fittest player and looks like he could still play now along with Robbie O who looks fitter now than he did when playing .

3. josh2010

josh2010 Up The Knights!!!!! Staff Member Moderator

Got my tickets today. Bring it on!!

4. Chief Longhorn

Chief Longhorn Adam Muir

I will never forget the crap that grub Gallen piled on our club when we were at our lowest!
    I hope we absolutely destroy the Sharks and belt Gallen to a pulp!

5. josh2010

6. rhugh89

rhugh89 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Bumper crowd predicted for season opener

Newcastle Knights
    Mon 25 Feb 2019, 03:37 PM

There’s no denying Newcastle Knights fans are the best in the NRL.

Each season crowds continue to come in droves to McDonald Jones Stadium in support of the red and blue.

In 2019 that's expected to be no different.

Last year, the Knights pulled a season high crowd of more than 23,000 for their Round 1 opener.

In less than three weeks time, McDonald Jones Stadium will be opening its doors for the Knights 2019 Round 1 clash with the Cronulla Sharks.

Knights CEO Philip Gardner is confident last years attendance can be beaten.

He’s predicting a roaring crowd of 25,000 plus.

“Weather will play a big part,” Gardner said.

“If we get good weather, and god loves the knights, we expect to beat last years crowd.”

Gardner expects record crowd numbers to cheer on the red and blue this season.

“We’ve already hit our record numbers for membership for the Knights and we think we’ll have record attendance,” he smiled.

The Knights CEO admits the dedicated and passionate fans will be the secret weapon to a great season ahead.

“When we run on to a packed stadium, the roar of the crowd is going to get us home,” Gardner added.

The season average for crowd numbers at McDonald Jones Stadium last year was around 19,000.

It’s hoped 2019 will go above and beyond that.

“The all-time record for the Knights is an average of 22,000, so that’s our goal,” said Gardner.

“We want to beat that this year and with the support of the Newcastle community and the Knights fans, we think that is doable.

“With good performance on the field, and good support of the town and team, I think we can get there.

“The fans at the Knights are pretty special and if they see us putting in an effort, being in there with a chance, week in week out, they’ll come.”

Be part of the atmosphere and buy Round 1 tickets here.

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2019/02/25/bumper-crowd-predicted-for-season-opener/

7. rhugh89

rhugh89 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

The article above got me thinking...

Here are the highest Round 1 Crowds at McDonald Jones Stadium, I would love to see 25,000+ there

2012 - 29,189
    1988 - 26,340
    2006 - 26,198
    2018 - 23,516
    2013 - 21,935

8. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

25,000 would be a great effort considering the timeslot. Imagine what we’d get on a Sunday afternoon?

9. R_A

R_A Adam Woolnough

Do they have some kind of paid bus service for Sydney fans coming to and from Newcastle to Knights home games? I tweeted out to the affiliated twitter page but didnt get anything :shrug:

Also on the thought of getting fans to games in numbers, I follow a fair bit of NBA and they often promote bobble head giveaways at selected home games where they giveaway a bobblehead of a certain player to the first x amount of fans. They write it off as a small expense with the money they make but I wonder if NRL teams would consider it as a marketing strategy to get fans engaged in to coming to home games.

Like for example here's one from a game later this week - https://twitter.com/WorldWideWob/status/1100223058093240321 <--- How freaking cool does that look?!?!

10. josh2010

i wish! imheading to the game from Sydney myself and would be better then the train!

R_A likes this.
  11. R_A

R_A Adam Woolnough

I'd honestly pay a reasonable amount for a bus ticket to be taken to and from a home game from Sydney from a designated meeting point. At places like ANZ they charge you $25 to park in their parking lot for as long as you want even though you can park elsewhere in sneaky spots around the venue without paying. So that price would be a bench mark and it'd be affordable to charge maybe less because you're getting a full bus.

Joshhh likes this.
  12. Joel

Joel Touche...

An adult Opal card from Sydney is around $15ish return and the walk from Broadmeadow is only around 15 minutes which isn't too bad. The issue in Sydney would be getting to the meeting point, but if you're close to one I can see the appeal.

13. krustykraz

krustykraz David Lomax

If Wests invest in 3 or 4 Leagues clubs around Sydney, they could get the bus to pick people up from all of them then drive up the coast.
    Pipe dream i know, but would be nice.

14. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

If the free bus is going from Newcastle Interchange, you could just stay on the train for 2 more stations and take a free bus to the ground - if you already have a game ticket.

15. Joel

Joel Touche...

Good try Billy but I love my Hungry Jack's. It's probably the same amount of time so a good option for people not keen on walking but after a whopper I need to get the legs going.

16. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Hey guys. What’s the best option for parking? Last year I went to our home game vs the Roosters and parked in a little car park next to the stadium’s main one where someone was there directing people in for $10. Does this happen every home game? Driving down from Port Macquarie for a sneaky night game trip.

17. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

Near the trotting track? They’ve had parking there for a few years. I can’t see why they wouldn’t this year. The only issue will be a Friday night when the races are on, but they still let you park behind it and you can walk up.

Matty23 likes this.
  18. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Oh okay cool. Can you park in the main stadium car park or is that also something you have to pay for alongside tickets?

19. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Not that I've done it, but I believe you have to book a car park in the main stadium park because it all sells out before the game.

20. Joel

Joel Touche...

Corner of Denney St and Australia St has a nice walk across the drain to the stadium.

@mozza is that paid parking? I've never tried to out.