RIP Jonah Lomu

Discussion in 'Sports Bar' started by josh2010, Nov 18, 2015.

1. josh2010

josh2010 Up The Knights!!!!! Staff Member Moderator

Sad news with Lomu passing away at just 40 yrs old! Absolute legend of a player and will be missed :(

2. rhugh89

rhugh89 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Very sad day, Thoughts are with his family

True champion in every sense of the word

3. jamesgould

jamesgould Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

I needed about half a day just to come to terms with this.

He's battled his kidney condition for around 20 years ... he's had a transplant in that time, his body after several years rejected the transplant, but still he fought on. I guess I've always had in the back of my mind that it could end for him at any time given the seriousness of his condition, but that doesn't make it any less of a shock. If anyone seemed immortal it was Jonah Lomu.

It's hard to explain to someone who wasn't around back then just what an impact he had. Not just on union, but on league, and his stardom even transcended sports, I think. But before he emerged, a winger was usually a small, fleet of foot, skinny guy.

Even saying that sort of sells Lomu short, because the amazing thing about him was despite his huge physical size and presence, he was so fast, and so light on his feet. By far his most replayed try is of him barging over an English defender in the 1995 World Cup, leaving the commentator speechless, but that is unrepresentative of Lomu in a way. No doubt he had the raw physical power and could bulldoze any defender ... but he was even better at burning past them on the outside, swerving back inside past a fullback - somehow turning his massive body on a sixpence without slowing down whatsoever. I doubt anyone ever caught him once he was in the open, he was extremely quick when in full stride.

Nowadays winger in that mould are common place - our own Akuila Uate is a great example when he was in his peak. But even now that the wing position has totally transformed, I don't think anyone that's come along since has been as good as Lomu. The original was the best.

In New Zealand he was a total superstar. He moved to Wellington and played here from 2000-2003, until his kidney condition struck him down and pretty much curtailed his career. Everyone knew where he lived (a massive house on top of a prominent hill ... painted a sandy pink, it stood out from miles away). Everyone knew his car (it was apparently the fastest in New Zealand at the time). I never saw him around, but I can only imagine what a jaw dropping moment that would have been. Even for a leaguie like me it was a source of a lot of pride that he played in the yellow and black of Wellington.

So overall this is a pretty sad day. Lomu was a great guy and touched a lot of people. 40 is way too young, but I'm thankful he was around that long. Rest in peace.

4. listo

listo Brock Mueller

I'm a league man & league only, union has never been a game for me... Even I watched it back then if NZ played, so I could see Jonah Lomu.
    Funny thing James, you mention how fast he was... My memories are of him destroying anything that was brave enough to stand in his way. I just watch some YouTube clips for a refresher, his speed and agility was crazy for a man that size.
    I'll back you, the original is always the best. RIP Jonah Lomu.

5. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

Very sad news especially because he's so young.
    I dislike Union but this guy seemed to transcend his particular code and even sport, especially in NZ.
    Outside of SBW and Carter I couldn't name another current NZ Union player and probably couldn't name any former players but I am well aware of him and what he's achieved. His highlights are amazing.
    The amount of Rugby League players that love the guy is a testament to what an amazing impact he's had on footballers in general.
    Just read that he played League up until he was a teenager, it would've been amazing to see what he could've done in First Grade with his size, speed and the added space offered.
    RIP mate.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  6. Captain Planet

Captain Planet Darren Treacy

Garbage Man
    He made rugby worth watching, everytime he touched the ball you knew something exciting was going to happen, and wallabies fans would hold their breaths.

7. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Rest easy Jonah, you legend.

8. IanG

IanG Darren Treacy

Storeman
    Vale Jonah. Didn't see this one coming.

Most vivid memory of him was in the 1995 World Cup Semi Final when he just ran over the England defenders like a bulldozer.