Quade Cooper reveals link to Knights in 2007

U23

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
QUADE Cooper has admitted he almost switched to rugby league three years ago after Matthew Johns compared him to star NRL playmaker Benji Marshall.

Johns, a former Australia Test rugby league five-eighth and now a television personality, was a guest coach at a Queensland Reds training session in 2007 and was so impressed with Cooper's skill he organised a meeting with his old team, the Newcastle Knights.

A contract was drawn up, but Cooper changed his mind and decided to stay in rugby union.

Cooper, who was named at five-eighth in the Wallabies team to play Fiji in Canberra on Saturday, said: "Matty Johns did a session with us at the Reds. He thought I could be pretty good at rugby league. He said the way I ball-played reminded him of Benji Marshall. It was a big rap from a guy like Matty Johns.

"I looked at it as an option, but I wasn't ready to leave rugby union. I hadn't achieved a lot. I didn't have the best year with the Reds.

"I was just starting to find my feet in rugby. I wanted to take on the challenge and improve. Hopefully, now it's starting to pay off."

I don't watch a lot of Union, but Quade is definitely an excitement machine. He's got plenty of skills, go on youtube and watch his recent cut out flick pass. Amazing stuff.

Shame about it all though.

Got busted breaking and entering a house iirc.

I'd vomit all over the place if we did sign this ****er.

He is actually a really good player...he was the Australian player of the year this season in the S14 ...Can someone please tell me what IIRC means lol..

Never watched him, well I never watch Union would be the correct way to put it. How sad is that for a professional rugby union player on probably good dollars to break and enter though.

Never watched him, well I never watch Union would be the correct way to put it. How sad is that for a professional rugby union player on probably good dollars to break and enter though.

There were apparently circumstances surrounding the crime that were revealed later. It had something to do with someone taking something from them and then they followed them and broke in. Doesn't excuse the stupidity but it wasn't as if he was in some gang going round doing home invasions :lol:

That being said, went to school with the guy and he's an A grade ****er. Loves himself.

Back