Players in the top 100 (Rugby League Week)

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by jamesgould, Oct 19, 2015.

1. jamesgould

jamesgould Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Unless I missed one when flickin through it in the magazine shop today, we had two(ish) players included in their list:

97. Beau Scott
    96. Trent Hodkinson

Accurate?

I wouldn't have had Scott in there, although the blurb said he'd dropped from 44 or something last year and had the mitigating factor of an ill kid, so fair enough I guess.

Can't really make a case for any other members of our side making it, in my opinion. How did things get so bad ...

2. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

The juniors will save us.

3. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    I would guess so James. Maybe Dane Gagai should make the list playing State of Convenience?

4. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

We have Beau who played one good season for us and is departing to go to the Eels of all clubs and Hodkinson who hasn't even played a game for us yet. Sad times.

5. jamesgould

He had a pretty forgettable end to the season with his defensive issues, so I can see why he wasn't included.

Our roster this year looked the weakest I've ever seen a Knights roster look, to be honest! We may have had weaker sides in the 2000s, but that was usually because Joey or Bedsy were injured.

Next year it actually looks worse. We've lost Scott, Gidley, Leilua, Roberts, Fa'alogo, Newton, Clydsdale ... and got Hodkinson, who is a good player, but he can't replace all that.

Struggling to see a light at the end of our tunnel.

6. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

You could make an argument that all those players leaving were some of the biggest contributors to our crappy season. With them gone, fresh faces get to come in & prove their worth.

7. jamesgould

That's true, but they were NRL players who had produced the goods in previous seasons ... to replace them with pretty much nothing is what concerns me. Don't get me wrong, I think we need a whole heap of new blood in the side, but to just hope the juniors/lower graders are all first grade quality in waiting seems not the greatest plan.

Of course, our salary cap seems to be in such a precarious predicament that we can't do anything about it, so c'est la vie.

8. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

That's right. We've just gotta work with the best we got at the moment. In previous seasons I'd have no hope, but the fact we bought Hodkinson & seem to have realized that you need to go for big names occasionally, gives me hope that Brown & the crew will at least have a go in the market next time around.

9. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Maybe with the ones we have 'lost' and the new coach not accepting substandard performances, others still in the squad will lift their games. A new coach is very much like a new broom changing attitudes and game plans.

10. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    I am backing James Taylor to be number 10 come round 1.

11. listo

listo Aaron Grainger

My thoughts too. We've got a team that can compete with any team in the comp when they want to, it's just getting them to want to. If they don't change their attitude, show them the door I say.
    Everyone was quick to bag Kurt Gidley for his mistakes, but to me he was the only one that wanted it every game, so he had to try doing it on his own. With a team that actually had a go with him, he'd have been a lot better. Maybe I'm the only one, but I'll miss him & his attitude this year.

12. ryan.berger.56

ryan.berger.56 Todd Bates

Not the only ones it was obvious how much he put in each week, and not just last because it was his final season. Every year gids was the fittest and most determined player in the squad so we will miss that.
    But we've lost a few dead beats so next year should be better, we can't finish any worse I guess

13. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

That's it. The bar is so low we can walk over it.