Official: Knights sign Joseph Leilua

Joshhh

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Newcastle Knights said to be chasing discarded Sydney Rooster Joseph 'BJ' Leilua

By Josh Massoud

859146-joseph-leilua.jpg

Joseph 'BJ" Leilua has been let go by the Roosters.

NEWCASTLE are favourites to snap-up Roosters discard Joseph 'BJ' Leilua, who was released from the final two years of his contract on Tuesday.

Earmarked as a future NSW Origin star, the powerful three-quarter had been speaking to Roosters officials about a fresh start for the past month.

A conviction for sending lewd photographs of an ex-girlfriend in October placed Leilua on his final warning, straining relations between the 21-year-old City Origin winger and elements of the club.

It's also understood Roosters coaching staff were not suitably impressed with Leilua's attitude over the pre-season, and he was omitted from the team's training camp at AIS headquarters in Canberra this week.

The release was signed-off Tuesday, with the Roosters issuing a blunt two-sentence statement to usher the St George junior out the door.

The Sydney Roosters have today announced that Joseph 'BJ' Leilua has been released from the final two years of his contract forthwith," the statement read. "Leilua will leave the club immediately and no further comment will be forthcoming from the Sydney Roosters."

Leilua left the Dragons at the end of 2009, playing one season under current Knights coach Wayne Bennett in Wollongong.

Newcastle insiders last night said Bennett never wanted to lose him and confirmed moves were underway to sign reform troubled star.

Sacked Bronco Dane Gagai proved a revelation for Newcastle last year, and Leilua has even more promise given his back-to-back selections in the Emerging Blues squad.

But with the salary cap set to rise to $5.8 million next year, there will be plenty of spare change for other suitors.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/sy...joseph-bj-leilua/story-fndujljl-1226539865271

As it's seen in the Rumours and Signings thread, I'm definitely conflicted when with this.

He's a quality, powerful centre with plenty of skill and potential but he just seems like a bad egg, poor attitude and full of himself.

But if anyone is going to set him straight it's Bennett so I maybe wouldn't mind this signing afterall.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd say he would become first choice back-up to Tahu. Can't see him being a walk in starter.

Might have to play a bit of reserves next year, but I think he'd be a good signing.

I thought he was pretty impressive playing at centre for the Roosters this year and he carved up in City V Country.

Backs probably shouldn't be our biggest priority, but we do need a centre to replace Tahu for when he retires. Not confident that we have a centre in the lower grades that is FG quality and Leilua certainly is

Last edited:
I'd rate Leulia just as good as Tahu if not better but there's no way in hell he'll walk straight into the side under these circumstances.

Though it will be a really good signing if Bennett can get him sorted out for when there's an injury in the backline or Tahu retires.

1. Darius Boyd
2. James McManus
3. Dane Gagai
4. Joseph Leulia
5. Akuila Uate

Looks good. He could even play off the bench, back row or wing.

I too would probably have him over Tahu. But yeah, won't happen.

I wouldn't mind him on the bench, either. That's another player to try and fit on the bench though, lol

Would be a great signing.. can see him being played off the bench and adding a bit of spark, but, why are we favourites to sign him?? Is that comment just based on him being an ex-dragon??? Or just that the knights get linked to everyone??

There's no way he'd be selected over Tahu or Gagai.

He'll probably go elsewhere for a FG spot in Sydney. I'd be surprised if he'd go from being a regular first-grader at the Roosters to NSW Cup for the Knights, maybe if Bennett gave him a bench spot.

He obviously needs to GTFO of Sydney, but not sure the Knights can cater to him on the field. Off the park no problems under Bennett. He's 21 years old.

However, not much room if we have a good year of injuries.

He can play wing (Uate, McManus, Naiqama, Quinn, Mantellato, Likiliki) or centre (Tahu, Gagai, Likiliki, Mata'utia) and then the option of second row.

He is obviously considered for left centre. Tahu hasn't got long left in the game and Gagai provided he has a bumper season this year has all but sewn up the #3.

He obviously needs to GTFO of Sydney, but not sure the Knights can cater to him on the field. Off the park no problems under Bennett. He's 21 years old.

However, not much room if we have a good year of injuries.

He can play wing (Uate, McManus, Naiqama, Quinn, Mantellato, Likiliki) or centre (Tahu, Gagai, Likiliki, Mata'utia) and then the option of second row.

He is obviously considered for left centre. Tahu hasn't got long left in the game and Gagai provided he has a bumper season this year has all but sewn up the #3.

You believe spitting in a ladies face and sending pictures is from living in Sydney?

He's already had a second chance, when the Roosters didn't sack him after he was convicted.
Then his attitude during pre-season is rubbish? I'm sure that's just a club line as well, probably more to it.

Also, I'm sick of the club becoming a halfway house for every clown who stuffs up in Sydney.
Daine Laurie (that worked out great), Albert Kelly (that worked out great), now BJ?

Would much prefer Marvin Filipo fills in at centre even if he doesn't have half the talent of Leilua.

He's already had a second chance, when the Roosters didn't sack him after he was convicted.
Then his attitude during pre-season is rubbish? I'm sure that's just a club line as well, probably more to it.

Also, I'm sick of the club becoming a halfway house for every clown who stuffs up in Sydney.
Daine Laurie (that worked out great), Albert Kelly (that worked out great), now BJ?

Would much prefer Marvin Filipo fills in at centre even if he doesn't have half the talent of Leilua.

Attitude over skill anyday. He never made me sit up off my chair anyway, same with Kelly.

You believe spitting in a ladies face and sending pictures is from living in Sydney?

I'm going off his attitude... what was reported in the above article. It said he needed change. I didn't comment on his spitting or assault allegations.

Gagai is the same, he's come good and no one is mentioning it.

Back