Offical: Manly Sign Uate for 2 years

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by relicorange94, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Ethan

Ethan Steve Simpson

Sick and tired of hearing people making excuses for Aku he is Sxxt and the club knows it .Even with the ball he ran side ways and teams are going to keep going down that side as long as Aku and Gagai are there they know they will score most times down that side ....

2. Ethan

Ethan Steve Simpson

Its just about time for the Tuna to turn up Please please please Japanese rugby if I throw in a few whole tuna will you please take Aku off our hands I know he is rubbish but the tuna are good ...

3. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    No doubt what you say about what he has been is spot on Defender. But we are dealing with today where the game you played three years ago is of no absolute use to Brownie. I think Mullo, Snowey, Jerzy and Korbin are in the same boat. That's what has landed us in this postion if you include last year's retirees! It is going to take a year for Brownie to sort out who plays where, and who he wants bought into the side. Take Feeney. No doubt he is a class footballer but not a fullback. I would play him in Gagai's place as he was a 5/8 and has speed. A few weeks in reggies may help Gagai as he looks ill.

4. Nightmare

Nightmare George Carmont

Not sure if you've ever played the game, but everyone in the team should be talking/shouting. Also it's about numbering up, counting heads. Count heads from outside in. There shouldnt be a three man overlap. I think Uate either had no idea or is always trying to put himself in a position to take an intercept.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  5. danknights

danknights Steve Simpson

Exactly! I was always taught to stand defensively opposite the second rower and scream at the preeks to slide when attacked down our side. Its pretty simple math to count heads. Surely the knights are smarter then to allow a 4 on 2 overlap without sliding.

6. Ethan

Ethan Steve Simpson

From the RLW

AKUILA Uate has been chased for years by cashed-up Japanese rugby union clubs and it appears they’ve finally gotten their man.

The 28-year-old Knights flyer has been courted by the rah-rahs in the Land of the Rising Sun since 2013 but Newcastle have managed to hang onto him . . . until now.

Even though he’s under contract at Newcastle until the end of 2017, Uate is set to take the big yen on offer from Japan.

Aku is in the latter stages of a stellar career which includes five Origins for NSW and a club record 109 tries for the Knights from 153 games. He has also appeared on the international stage, having played eight Tests for Fiji and five for Australia.

Despite being hampered by knee injuries last season, he was once again the club’s leading tryscorer with 12 from 22 games and is adored by the Knights faithful.

Uate will miss today’s match against the Raiders due to a chest injury. 18-year-old rookie Cory Denniss will replace him.

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/uate-leave-knights/

7. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
  8. member 2299

Retired
    As the Beatles sang "Let it Be".

9. Nickwpearce

Nickwpearce Banned

Only reason he would go to Japan is the Knights don't want him... He is chewing up our cap.. Have to wait and see

10. Treadly

Treadly Rod Shoesmith

500k is another big name or 2 decent youngsters.....

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

11. ryan.berger.56

ryan.berger.56 Todd Bates

If our salary cap is that messed up, we'd probably still be paying him half him contract while he's there

12. Afro Zac

Afro Zac Todd Bates

I'm worried about Uate. He doesn't seem like the type of Fijian to thrive in a Japanese environment, the game maybe, but the culture and enviroment, I'm not to sure. Hopefully he does well for himself over there though. Unfortunately, he never again reached the heights we all hoped for nor the worth of his contract. Would be definitely sad to see him leave, but it's what's best for everyone.

13. rhugh89

rhugh89 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Newcastle Knights player Akuila Uate not interested in move to Japanese rugby

April 9, 2016 7:03pm
    Matt Logue
    The Sunday Telegraph

[​IMG]
    THREE years ago Newcastle flyer Akuila Uate knocked back an advance from the Australian Rugby Union, prompting them to chase the signature of Israel Folau.

The move from the ARU was serious and one that forced Uate to weigh up his options before deciding to commit to the Knights for a further four seasons.

Now the rumour mill has again kicked into gear linking the former Test and Origin winger to rugby once more, this time in Japan.

Despite the talk, Uate’s manager Darryl Mather told The Sunday Telegraph his client will remain at the Knights until his current contract expires in 2017.

“No, that (Japanese) rugby is not the case and Aku will be completing his contract,” Mather said.

“I can definitely assure you he isn’t being shopped there and we’ve had no interest either.

But Aku has received interest from rugby in the past.

I did get a call from an agent they could assist to get him to Japan, but nothing eventuated.

“When he didn’t show interest, the Australian rugby union directed their intentions to Folau just a few weeks later.

But Aku won’t be going anywhere and he is just trying to work hard as a senior player to help the club and the coach to bring the young players on and hopefully playing well again.

“He is very committed to completing his contract at Newcastle.”

Uate was once one of the most feared wingers in the NRL.

Back in 2012 the Fijian-born flyer represented New South Wales and Australia and he was Newcastle’s leading tryscorer with 18.

He has struggled to reach those grand heights in recent seasons, but has worked overtime in a bid to rediscover his best.

This is good news for Knights fans, especially given Uate is one of the club’s highest paid players, on a contract worth $500,000 plus a season.

The explosive winger also has a stellar record against Sunday’s opponents Wests Tigers.

He has scored eight tries in seven games against them and has amassed 58 tries in 75 games at Hunter Stadium — the most at the venue.

It’s the type of form Mather hopes Uate can recapture again to continue his career beyond his current deal.

“Aku wants to play at the highest level, so hopefully he can do that,” he said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...y/news-story/4b5f2e6b006a663e66f8b07352a44c64

14. member 2299

Retired
    Best of British Mather but you are handling aged, injured goods. Bloody managers.

15. Ethan

Ethan Steve Simpson

Uate was once one of the most feared wingers in the NRL.

Back in 2012 the Fijian-born flyer represented New South Wales and Australia and he was Newcastle’s leading tryscorer with 18.

He has struggled to reach those grand heights in recent seasons, but has worked overtime in a bid to rediscover his best.

He hasn't played his best for a while as it says BUT we have been paying for his best ....

16. josh2010

josh2010 Up The Knights!!!!! Staff Member Moderator

interesting Barry Toohey has said Uate could be here for another year (Unless he finds a new club) but wont get picked unless he is forced too!

17. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Aku is a guy who needs a coach who is supportive of his fragile confidence levels. Stone and Bennett etc did that.
    Brown doesn't do that.
    He demands that guys show effort, gives them a chance to do it, and cuts them if they don't.

The great pity is that Brown obviously read the riot act to Uate in the off season, and Uate showed up the fittest he has for years, but unfortunately got an injury early in the season and has just never got his confidence back.

It's a bit of a thing that some players just don't respond to some coaches, and Brown is a very abrasive guy who a lot of people aren't going to respond to.

I'd like to see Aku replace Koroibete at Melbourne next year. Bellamy will have him back at his best in 10 minutes.

18. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    Brown's kidding not having him in ahead of mamo and dennis. None of em are flash in defence but he has yards on them with the ball. How close was Uate to Kev Naq??? Been tripping over his bottom lip since he left.

19. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Kev is killing it at the Tigers. Good on him.

20. jamesgould

jamesgould Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

He's a grown man, but he's a headcase and has been for years. His rot began under Bennett and continued last year under Stone.

No other player would be given the luxury of being treated with kiddy gloves, so I don't see why he should ... and even when he was, he was rubbish.