NSW Women's premiership

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
First game in the NSW premiership this weekend.

It will be interesting to see how many of the Tarsha Gale side make the team when the season is finished.

1. Shannon Evans

2. Anika Butler

3. Christa Smith

4. Carissa Harrison

5. Jorja Holden

6. Bobbi Law

7. Melanie Howard

8. Kiara Shelton

9. Monica-Lee Morris

10. Kayla Romaniuk

11. Bree Chester

12. Chantelle Graham

13. Harmony Liddell

Interchange:

14. Kyra Simon

15. Sophie Higgins

16. Jordan Glanville

17. Phoebe Desmond

Extended Bench:

18. Caitlin Shoulders

Coach: Ronald Griffiths

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Won their first game 18-12 - 4 tries to two.

Caitlan Johnson was a late inclusion at starting prop.

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Late inclusions for todays game are Australian 7s title winner Jesse Southwell straight off the plane from Canada and NRLW title winners Hannah Southwell, yasmin Weakes and Tayla Predebon.

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
1. Autumn-Rain Stephens-Daly
2. Anika Butler
3. Christa Smith
4. Carissa Harrison - replaced by Yasmin Meakes
5. Skye McKenzie
6. Bobbi Law
7. Melanie Howard - replaced by Jesse Southwell
8. Caitlan Johnston
9. Shannon Evans
10. Kyra Simon
17. Ngalika Barker
12. Sophie Higgins
13. Hannah Southwell

Interchange:

21. Tayla Predebon
15. Kayla Romaniuk
16. Harmony Liddell
18. Kiara Nicoko

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Knights up 10 - 0 after 12 minutes
tries
  • Caitlan Johnston 4'
  • Jesse Southwell 10'

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Knights 16 - 0 Souths after 18 minutes

tries
  • Caitlan Johnston 4'
  • Jesse Southwell 10'
  • Sophie HIGGINS 18'
Jesse Southwell has kicked 2/3

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Knights 28 - 14 Souths

• Caitlan Johnston 4'
  • Jesse Southwell 10'
  • Sophie HIGGINS 18'
  • Caitlan Johnston 37'
  • Shannon Evans 42'

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
34 - 20 with 13 minutes to go
  • Caitlan Johnston 4'
  • Jesse Southwell 10'
  • Sophie HIGGINS 18'
  • Caitlan Johnston 37'
  • Shannon Evans 42'
  • Caitlan Johnston 54'

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
34 -20 win - fulltime

We go to equal 1st, but several sides can jump over us after they play this weekend.

Matty23

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
So looks like Yasmin Meakes, or should I say, Yasmin Clydesdale is all but confirmed to our NRLW team.

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
The other big in this week was Ngalika Barker.
It seems like about 10 years ago that we first had a member of the Barker family in the juniors - a speedy little fullback in the Mathews side, Ngangarra Barker.
Ngalika started in the Newcastle CRL side but has been in the South Sydney system since 2019.
I think the family comes from the upper Hunter somewhere - all talented footballers.
https://www.newcastleknights.com.au...p/newcastle-knights-women-nsw/ngalika-barker/

mullenmagic

Todd Bates
8. Johnston
10. Boyle
11. Meakes
12. Dibb?
13. Southwell

Would be a drastic improvement on this past season. Desmond, Simon & Metcalf from Tarsha Gale Cup also coming through. There's a couple of the Kiwi girls I'd be looking to bring back but will probably be difficult if the Warriors are back in the comp.

The backs will need drastic upgrades though. Jesse Southwell will be first player chosen, whether she's fullback or 6. Teitzel will almost certainly stay in Townsville if they get their team. Mia Middleton & the halfback who's name I've forgotten from Tarsha Gale Cup both look like they'll be good but not sure of age. Should be doing whatever possible to bring back Issy Kelly.

Still_Nutty

Brad Godden
34 -20 win - fulltime

We go to equal 1st, but several sides can jump over us after they play this weekend.
Only saw the highlights but Caitlan Johnson had a barnstormer of a game with 2 tries that included some nice footwork at pace for a big forward to get across the line.

Also looking forward to seeing how Jesse Southwell adapts to the senior level football, now that she has turned 18....she is a special talent that we need to keep here at the Knights

Last edited:

Still_Nutty

Brad Godden
8. Johnston
10. Boyle
11. Meakes
12. Dibb?
13. Southwell

Would be a drastic improvement on this past season. Desmond, Simon & Metcalf from Tarsha Gale Cup also coming through. There's a couple of the Kiwi girls I'd be looking to bring back but will probably be difficult if the Warriors are back in the comp.

The backs will need drastic upgrades though. Jesse Southwell will be first player chosen, whether she's fullback or 6. Teitzel will almost certainly stay in Townsville if they get their team. Mia Middleton & the halfback who's name I've forgotten from Tarsha Gale Cup both look like they'll be good but not sure of age. Should be doing whatever possible to bring back Issy Kelly.
I'm not too disappointed that we are losing Romy, to be honest (if she doesn't re-sign) - I think she maybe tried too hard to lead by example and ended up stifling a lot of our attack in the NRLW, taking last play options and running one out and dying with the ball on a regular basis was pretty ineffective.

I was really impressed with some of the local talent though, beyond what the Southwell's can bring. I thought Phoebe Desmond was an absolute beast last season who definitely lifted the tempo and drive when she was on the field.

Will be interesting to see what Ron Griffiths will bring to the NRLW squad as coach - I was keen to give Casey Bromilow a chance but I don't think he managed the step up from Tarsha Gale to NRLW as well as I expected him to and I think the team wasn't as well drilled as I expected them to be, particularly in defence. It was pretty frustrating to see them consistently employ up and in defence when other teams worked out early that 2 or 3 quick passes wide of the ruck was an easy stroll in for tries but the side never seemed to adapt or slide during the season .

Last edited:

Joshhh

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
I'm not too disappointed that we are losing Romy, to be honest (if she doesn't re-sign) - I think she maybe tried too hard to lead by example and ended up stifling a lot of our attack in the NRLW, taking last play options and running one out and dying with the ball on a regular basis was pretty ineffective.
Yeah was a bit disappointing, she was the player of the year in the comp she came from so she's probably used to being the go to player. She's got a big frame for a fullback, she'd be great just getting the ball at the right times and having a run, but just got in the way too much with the NRLW side.

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Article on Jesse Southwell, saying she is now in France playing in a 7s tournament and wants to make the Australian side for the Commonwealth games.
Says she is still 17 but played in NSW cup last week and wants to play alongside her sister in NRLW, but is just taking every opportunity she can in all codes while she can.

I notice in the Canadian 7s she only played against the minor sides like Mexico, and scored a pretty easy try against them, so I don't think she is a sure thing to make the Commonwealth games team in a few months, although she could be ready for the Olympics in a few years if she can keep playing both codes.