NSW Cup Preliminary Final - Newcastle Knights v Illawarra Cutters

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Lower Grades' started by rhugh89, Sep 14, 2014.

1. rhugh89

rhugh89 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

NSW CUP PRELIMINARY FINAL

[TABLE="width: 510, align: center"]

[TD="align: center"][​IMG]

Newcastle
    KNIGHTS

LAST 5: W W W W W
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: center"][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD="align: center"] cutters2.jpg

Illawarra
    CUTTERS

LAST 5: W L B L L
    [/TD]
    [/TABLE]

SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 21ST

KICKOFF - 3:10PM

LIVE ON FOX SPORTS 1

VENUE - LEICHHARDT OVAL, SYDNEY

NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS LINE UP:

1. Nathan Ross
    22. Josh Mantellato
    3. Pat Mata’utia
    4. Brayden Wiliame
    5. Chanel Mata’utia
    6. Matt Minto
    7. Michael Dobson
    8. Sam Mataora
    9. Chad Redman
    10. Pat Vaivai
    11. Clint Newton
    12. Timana Tahu
    13. Matt Hilder (c)

14. Travis Waddell
    15. Tyler Randell
    16. Michael Steele
    17. Brenton Horwood
    25. James Elias
    30. Toka Likiliki

ILLAWARRA CUTTERS LINE UP:

1. Kyle Eather
    2. Yaw Kiti Glymin
    3. Peter Mata'utia
    4. Charly Runciman
    5. Tyron Cranston
    6. Sam Duggan
    7. Drew Hutchison
    8. Shannon Wakeman
    9. Shane Pumipi
    10. Josh Ailaomai
    11. Will Matthews
    12. Junior Tia-Kilifi
    13. Kyle Stanley

14. Joel Johnson
    15. Willie Mataka
    17. Jeff Moate
    18. Rory O'Brien
    20. Geoff Daniela

All discussion on the game in this thread. Pre-match predictions, live score updates & post-match thoughts

2. rhugh89

Debut a day to remember for Randell

Mon 15th September, 08:42AM

After the NSW Cup Knights’ hard fought 26-24 victory over the Newtown Jets at Hunter Stadium in Round 25, Tyler Randell was understandably satisfied and content.

But his day was to be more eventful and memorable than first expected when he was called upon at the eleventh hour to make his NRL debut.

Hooker Travis Waddell became unwell in the team warm up and was forced to pull out of the game against the Parramatta Eels, making way for
    the 22-year-old Aberdeen Tigers junior to step up to the plate.

“It was a bit rushed, I didn’t know I was playing until right before kick off as I played in the reserve grade game right before it,” Randell revealed.

“It was good to get my first game.

“It’s been a lifetime goal of mine and to be notified 20 minutes before the game that I was playing, I didn’t’ have time to get nervous,” he said.

After putting in more than 60 minutes in the previous NSW Cup game, the hooker’s stamina was put to the ultimate test with him backing up to deliver a solid performance in first grade.

“I think it was adrenalin and being happy to be debuting,” Randell admitted.

“I think if it was any other normal game, I think I would have been a bit buggered, but because it was my first game of NRL, I think it was just adrenalin getting me through.”

His game day was to prove eventful for more than one reason.

Randell suffered a nasty head clash in the second half that took him from the field.

“I had a head clash late in the game which was a bit unfortunate because I would have liked to finish it,” he said.

“That brought me off and I got about 25 stitches just above my left eye, but it’s good now.

Fortunately he recovered well to play the following finals match.

The Knights’ 24-12 win over Wentworthville in the first week of the finals gifted the side a week off before taking on the Illawarra Cutters on Sunday at Leichardt Oval.

The team has used the time to recuperate and prepare for the important match, which if won, will see the Knights cement a place in the NSW Cup grand final.

“It’s been a bit of a down week, but when we’re here, we’re hitting the straps and training hard,” Randell said.

“We got into a full week starting on Monday.

He assured the side has enjoyed the high of its last win over the last win with team camaraderie stronger than ever.

“They’re definitely very happy this week, it’s been a bit of fun at training,” he said.

“Hopefully winning because we get through to the grand final.

“Last year we were in the same situation when we were beaten by about six points

“We’ve been here before so hopefully we can get the win up and make the grand final.

The 2014 season has been a successful one for Randell and has seen achievements like his selection in the NSW Cup representative side alongside teammate Chanel Mata'utia.

“I haven’t missed a game, so I haven’t been injured so that’s a highlight and making the NSW residents team," he said.

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2014/09/15/debut_a_day_to_remember_for_randell_.html

3. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Finals Week 3:

1. Nathan Ross
    22. Josh Mantellato
    3. Pat Mata’utia
    4. Brayden Wiliame
    5. Chanel Mata’utia
    6. Matt Minto
    7. Michael Dobson
    8. Sam Mataora
    9. Chad Redman
    10. Pat Vaivai
    11. Clint Newton
    12. Timana Tahu
    13. Matt Hilder (c)

Interchange:

14. Travis Waddell
    15. Tyler Randell
    16. Michael Steele
    17. Brenton Horwood
    25. James Elias
    30. Toka Likiliki

- - - Updated - - -

This is gonna be a tough side to beat. Let's go one more step than last year.

- - - Updated - - -

And the Cutters side:

1. Kyle Eather
    2. Yaw Kiti Glymin
    3. Peter Mata'utia
    4. Charly Runciman
    5. Tyron Cranston
    6. Sam Duggan
    7. Drew Hutchison
    8. Shannon Wakeman
    9. Shane Pumipi
    10. Josh Ailaomai
    11. Will Matthews
    12. Junior Tia-Kilifi
    13. Kyle Stanley

Interchange:

14. Joel Johnson
    15. Willie Mataka
    17. Jeff Moate
    18. Rory O'Brien
    20. Geoff Daniela

4. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Waddell could well go from Wayne's golden haired boy and starting hooker in firstgrade to not good enough for the bench in reserve grade.
    Redders starting shows Stone rates him more, and Randell is a better guy to have on the bench because he can do more than cover the 10 minutes of hooker that Redders won't play.

Williame is better than Elias at this stage of their careers, but he is going to Manly, so I'd drop him for Elias - just because someone has to miss out.

5. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Full strength. Do-or-die. I think we're gonna win. I'm being confident for once this year!

Knights by 16.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  6. Pizzay

Pizzay Adam Cuthbertson

I don't think we should be starting Wardell on the bench he should be starting hooker. Might as well use him while we still have him.

Definitely going to this game at Leichhardt oval but any idea where to get tickets? I haven't been to a NSW Cup game before.

Cheers.

7. ladyknight

ladyknight Cameron Ciraldo

disagree redders should start as he has been playing outstanding and he deserves to start.

8. rhugh89

Mataora's motivation

Wed 17th September, 11:44AM

Since Sam Mataora joined the ranks of the Newcastle Knights in July, he has established himself as a valuable heavyweight in the NSW Cup side’s front row.

Knights TV sat down with the 23-year-old to speak about how he’s settled in at Newcastle, with the team sitting just one game shy of a grand final appearance.

As far as an introduction to a Club goes, the NSW Cup’s loss to this weekend’s opponent the Illawarra Cutters in Round 17 wasn’t his ideal maiden match with the Knights.

Although deflated by the 26-0 score line, the defeat was the catalyst for the following eight game winning stretch, which has found the team now just one game away from the NSW Cup grand final.

The two sides have met since, with the Knights defeating the Cutters 36-16 in round 21. It will be a game the Knights will look to replicate when the two sides meet for the third time this Sunday.

“The first week I got here we played against Illawarra and we got a hiding that game,” the 114kg forward said.

“But when we played them again we won, so I guess it’s going to be a tough grind around the middle so we need to switch on there.

“I’m expecting a tough game against Illawarra this week, so if we can go forward and just hang on to the ball I reckon it will be good for us.”

NSW Cup head into the game with the advantage of having a week off after a strong defeat over Wentworthville at Leichhardt Oval in the qualifying final.

“Preparation has been good so far...and we have had a good rest so hopefully that helps us out,” Mataora added.

Mataora has enjoyed his time in Newcastle since making the move mid-season from the Canberra Raiders.

“Newcastle is a good spot I reckon, I’m enjoying myself here and am always at the beach," he said.

But the interstate move to chase an opportunity at the Knights has not come without its challenges. Mataora is apart from his a five-month-old daughter who has remained in Canberra.

“It’s tough because I miss her heaps, so I guess I’m doing it for her at the moment,” he revealed.

So when Mataora runs out this weekend he’ll not only be resolute on gaining a win for his new team, but to make his family at home proud.

“The boys here are pretty awesome so hopefully we can take it all the way," he said.

The Knights take on the Cutters this Sunday, 3.15pm at Leichhardt Oval. The match will be live on Fox Sports.

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2014/09/17/mataora_s_motivation_.html

9. rhugh89

Cup's consistency reaps rewards

Wed 17th September, 02:34PM

Brayden Wiliame is enjoying his first season at the Newcastle Knights after joining the Club at the beginning of the season.

The Woy Woy Roosters junior hails from the Central Coast and signed with the Club after stints with the Melbourne Storm and Parramatta Eels.

Despite missing out on pre-season training, Wiliame has been a regular and versatile fixture, playing centre, fullback and on the wing.

“I love it at the Knights at the moment, I signed literally the week of round one, so it’s been good,” Wiliame said.

The 21-year-old is dedicated to making the most of every opportunity in his football career, which includes catching the train each morning from Woy Woy to Newcastle for training.

The youngster is now one game away from a game final appearance in red and blue.

Wiliame believes it has been a consistent line-up over the last few months that has resulted in the team winning eight of its last games.

“All the boys have really gelled and it’s been really good how much we’ve bonded over the year," he said.

“We’ve stuck been together and there’s a lack of injuries so that’s been good."

Heading into this weekend’s preliminary final against the Illawarra Cutters at Leichhardt Oval, Wiliame expects the side to be buoyed by the return of Timana Tahu, Travis Waddell and Chanel Mata’utia who have spent time playing in the NRL.

While the Knights have benefitted from a week off, the Cutters secured a place in the preliminary final after a strong 29-12 win over the New Zealand Warriors last weekend.

“I think we’ll all be confident going into the game, they got up against the Warriors which is never an easy thing to do, and to keep them to 12 points," he said.

“They got up on us earlier in the season but I think we found a bit of form later and we got a good win against them.

“We’ll both going into it pretty confident and it will be a good game.”

The Knights take on the Cutters this Sunday, 3.10pm at Leichhardt Oval. The match will be live on Fox Sports.

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2014/09/17/cup_s_consistency_reaps_rewards.html

10. Billy

I didn't know Williame is only 21.
    He has had a very good year.
    Barry Toohey said last week that he is going to Manly, and playing that good at 21 he deserves a chance with some club, and we seem to be over supplied with outside backs.

11. rhugh89

Thought I would post the Cutters stats from their win over the Warriors, There are some very impressive numbers

Cutters Stats.png

12. Billy

Good stats from Pete.
    He has had a great year at Saints.
    He always seemed a player that would go well if he had an injury free season.

13. rhugh89

Another Mata'utia showdown

Thu 18th September, 09:04AM

Sunday’s NSW Cup preliminary final between the Newcastle Knights and Illawarra Cutters is set to be another Mata’utia brother showdown with Knights Chanel and Pat matching up against older brother Peter.

Knights TV sat down with the pair in the lead-up to the final to hear their expectations about the next installment of the family encounters.

Looking back, Pat versed Peter when the NSW Cup sides played each other for the second time this season in Round 21.

While Chanel and youngest brother Sione, who both made their NRL debut Round 20, played against Peter in NRL's Round 26 at Hunter Stadium against the St George Illawarra Dragons.

“It was a proud moment for our family, watching the three play against each other,” Pat recalled about the Round 26 encounter.

“It was exciting and Mum was pretty happy.”

With the conclusion of the NRL season, Chanel has returned to the Knights NSW Cup side for Sunday's preliminary final against the Cutters.

“I played Pete in our last NRL game and that was cool, especially because I played alongside Sione,” Chanel said.

“I know Pete's going to try to be tough.”

While Pat added, “I think we play him on the same side."

It’s been an incredible year for the Mata’utia family.

Within the space of eight months, the Mata’utia brothers have celebrated two NRL debuts, state representation, and a raft of player awards shared between the four brothers.

And a grand final title may not be far from the list of achievements.

The Knights’ win over the Wentworthville Magpies entitled the team to the week off, allowing the players to make the most of the bonus finals preparation.

Pat explained the side has welcomed the extra time to train and work on fitness.

“Working on skills has been a big help,” he said.

Now it’s Sione’s chance to watch his three older brothers battle it out on the field and Pat and Chanel have strong views on where their youngest brother’s allegiance should lie.

“He’ll be in trouble when we get home after the game if he’s not cheering for us,” Pat joked.

With jokes aside, the pair expressed great pride in their youngest brothers’ outstanding success this season, especially after learning the 18-year-old had been recognised with the Rugby League Players’ Associations NYC Player of the Year Award the night before.

“It’s a big achievement to make, especially being two years younger,” Chanel said.

"He’s come a long way and is doing well and can hopefully keep at it, knuckle down, stay humble and make the best out of it."

Pat added, “I was proud of him and he was the only one out of us that’s got this far in 20s, so it’s a proud moment for us and we’re also proud of him as well."

And according to the two brothers, their family is set to celebrate their recent achievements in true Mata’utia style.

“After the game we just have a big feed, for us it’s all about food after the game,” Chanel said.

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2014/09/18/another_mata_utia_showdown_.html

14. rhugh89

VB NSW Cup Previews - Preliminary Finals

Jamie Anderson - NSWRL Media

Thu 18th September, 03:00PM

Newcastle Knights (2) Vs Illawarra Cutters (4)

Leichhardt Oval, Sunday, September 21
    Kick-off: 3.10pm
    Referee: Liam Nicholls
    Broadcast: LIVE on Fox Sports 1 and Sky Sport NZ
    Broadcast: Radio Coverage courtesy of Steele Sports Radio (Link available viawww.steelesports.com.au)
    Broadcast: Radio Coverage courtesy of 2GLF FM 89.3 (Link available via 893fm.com.au)

Summary:

The Newcastle Knights will be out to progress to the VB NSW Cup Grand Final for the first time, having stumbled at the final hurdle in each of the last two seasons.

Close losses to the Balmain Tigers (2012) and the Windsor Wolves (2013) have seen the Knights come up just short, but this 2014 side is arguably the clubs strongest in recent memory and best placed to see them progress.

On the other side of the coin, the Cutters, in just their third season in the competition, are in uncharted territory.

The Cutters finished sixth in 2012 but were knocked out in week one by eventual Premiers Newtown, while in 2013, the Cutters missed the finals altogether.

The Cutters worked hard in 2014 for their top four finish and it paid dividends in a sense after they were afforded a second chance following their week one loss to the Panthers.

The Cutters made the most of said opportunity last weekend and outplayed the Warriors in the second half to earn a shot against the Knights.

Newcastle should be well rested having had the break after a first up win over Wenty, and with their side at full strength, there will be no excuses this time around.

With Rick Stone moving into the VB NSW Cup coaching role following the arrival of Wayne Bennett in 2012, Stoney has done just about everything with this side other than taking them to the big dance, and it would be just rewards for him before he moves back into the top job in 2015 and Matt Lantry takes over the reins.

In the other coach’s box, Scott Logan has done a great job since being thrust into the job mid-season.

This promotion coincided with the Cutters losing their two first choice halves in Sam Williams (Super League) and Michael Witt (injury/retirement), however he wasn’t to be deterred and along with the likes of Sam Duggan and Drew Hutchison, has helped steer this team to within shouting distance of a spot in the Grand Final.

As mentioned earlier, the Knights are at full strength with Travis Waddell, Chanel Mata’utia and Timana Tahu all rejoining the side after spending some time in the NRL during the concluding stages of the season.

For the Cutters, the addition of Runciman, Matthews, Pumipi, Stanley and Mata’utia last week saw them look a far improved outfit, and they will carry an unchanged side into this encounter.

These sides have split their two meetings thus far in 2014, with the home teams saluting on each occasion, so it is anybody’s guess what will happen here.

2014 Head to Head Results:

Illawarra Cutters 26 def. Newcastle Knights 0 at WIN Jubilee Oval (Round 17)

Newcastle Knights 38 def. Illawarra Cutters 16 at Newcastle No.2 Sports Ground (Round 21)

Leading Try Scorers:

Knights leading try scorer 2014 – Nathan Ross (17 tries)

Cutters leading try scorer 2014 – Geoff Daniela (13 tries)

Prediction:

It looms as a good old fashioned toss of the coin job, but leaning towards the Knights who have not lost since, ironically enough, round 17 against the Cutters.

Knights by 2.

http://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2014/09/18/vb_nsw_cup_previews_preliminary_finals_.html

15. rhugh89

NSW Cup Preliminary Final Preview

Thu 18th September, 03:32PM

Newcastle Knights v Illawarra Cutters

Sunday September 20
    Kick off: 3.10pm
    Venue: Leichhardt Oval
    Broadcast: Fox Sports

Last time they met:

Sunday’s preliminary final will be the third time the teams meet this season.

The first clash was in Round 17 when the Illawarra Cutters downed the Newcastle Knights 26-0 at Jubilee Stadium.

The second match-up saw the Knights redeem their earlier scoreless loss to record a 38-16 victory over the Cutters at Newcastle’s No. 2 Sportsground.

With the score now level, both teams will not only be hungry to prove their dominance, but more importantly secure their spot in the NSW Cup grand final.

Teams:

NEWCASTLE

1.Nathan Ross, 22. Josh Mantellato, 3. Pat Mata’utia, 4. Brayden Wiliame, 5. Chanel Mata’utia, 6. Matt Minto, 7. Michael Dobson, 8. Sam Mataora, 9. Chad Redman, 10. Pat Vaivai, 11. Clint Newton, 12. Timana Tahu, 13. Matt Hilder (c). Interchange 14. Travis Waddell, 15. Tyler Randell, 16. Michael Steele, 17. Brenton Horwood, 25. James Elias, 30. Toka Likiliki.

ILLAWARRA

1.Brad Abbey, 2. Ngataua Hukatai, 3. Nathaniel Roache, 4. Solomone Kata, 5. Metia Lisati, 6. Tuimoala Lolohea, 7. Mason Lino, 8. Sam Lisone, 9. Kurt Robinson, 10. Kouma Samson, 11. Marata Niukore, 12. Adam Tuimavave-Gerrard, 13. Jazz Tevaga. Interchange: 14. James Bell, 15. Toafofoa Sipley, 16. Ken Maumalo, 17. Iulio Afoa, 20. Ofahiki Ogen.

Match analysis:

The Newcastle Knights enter Sunday's preliminary final against the Illawarra Cutters with confidence coming off an eight game winning streak that entitled the side to a week off.

The Cutters suffered a heavy 42-6 defeat to the Penrith Panthers in the first week of the finals but turned it around in their next encounter against the in-form New Zealand Warriors to record a 29-12 win.

Coach Rick Stone believes the week off will prove an advantage for the Knights.

“This has given us the chance to freshen up a little bit, get over some niggling injuries and get a couple of players back,” he said.

Meanwhile, returning NRL players Chanel Mata’utia, Timana Tahu and Travis Waddell are set to strengthen the line-up.

“They are all quality players and have been playing first grade the last few weeks so it will definitely boost confidence for the boys,” Stone said.

“Chanel's plays are terrific and Timana’s line breaking ability gives you a bit of x-factor in the semi final."

The coach isn’t worried about a loss of momentum, as the team has been focused and diligent at training during the break.

“It’s always a bit difficult because when you are on a roll, playing every week is important, but we had a really good session Saturday and that
    started the build up this week to get ready for Sunday,” he assured.

“Our start to our games can be important, especially after a week off when players can feel slow out of the blocks.

“We’re going to really concentrate on that and give it a good crack.”

Stone acknowledges the Cutters are made more formidable given four first graders are available to play in the side this weekend.

"They got beaten convincingly in their first semi, but like us, they have a number of quality players coming back into their team,” he said.

“You saw it in their performance against the Warriors, they were much improved because their last month hasn’t been the best, but they definitely got up last week.”

Stone identified Michael Dobson at halfback as being extremely important to the side’s success as well as front rowers Sam Mataora and Pat Vaivai, who have proved an integral part of the team.

“The balance of the team is pretty good," he added.

“The squad is in good spirits and have plenty of energy.”

The winner of this encounter plays the winner of the Penrith Panthers v Wentworthville Magpies match in the NSW Cup grand final.

Where it will be won:

Composure.

“Playing finals is about starting with plenty of energy, being disciplined and holding composure,” Stone said.

“It’s important errors are minimised to give yourself a chance.

“I think if we do that and play to our best we’ll be really competitive.

“A lot of teams can get ahead of themselves, so it’s been a really big focus for us to not think to far ahead.

“I don’t want the boys to talk about anything other than what they’ve got in front of them this weekend.”

Final word:

Chanel and Pat Mata’utia have more than one reason to be excited about this weekend’s grand final decider.

The pair are set to take on their eldest brother Peter, who is named in the centres for the Illawarra Cutters.

“I played Pete in our last NRL game and that was cool, especially because I played alongside Sione,” Chanel said.

“I know Pete's going to try to be tough.”

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2014/09/18/nsw_cup_preliminary_final_preview.html

16. Maid Marian

Maid Marian Robbie Tew

You can usually get general admission tickets at the venue. Food prices at this ground are abhorrent so come prepared! 3 hot chips and 2 water cost $21. Bring your own !

17. Billy

I'm very confident about today's game.
    We have been on a roll for months and our experience is so much greater than other sides. We have two guys in Tahu and Newton who have won NRL grandfinals.
    The great strength is that we seem to be injury free and the side has been very settled for the last 3 months or so.
    Our forwards have won the armwrestle in game after game, including a total domination of the Cutters in their last clash.
    In the under 20's the wheels have been falling off, or have at least been shakey, for a while due to injuries and guys not available, but the NSW cup side has been injury free in the key positions and they have settled into a very professional and slick team who have won something like 11 of their past 12 games.

18. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Fingers (and everything else) crossed for the boys. Thought the same about the Holden Cup side Billy!

Let's hope we get one team on the paddock GF day!

19. Good luck boys

20. rhugh89

I'm very confident about this game, We will be winning this match :)