NRLW 2021

jamesgould

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Staff member
Admin
That's true James...actually you've reminded me - I got a membership for me and my daughter...I've seen the money come out of my account but I haven't seen any details, confirmation, etc. come through.

From memory there is supposed to be a member pack and 3 games tickets to attend matches but I haven't seen any of it...better follow up tomorrow:cool:
I didn’t even know there was a membership?!

Still_Nutty

John Schuster
Sorry, missed your earlier post James.... https://knightshub.com.au/membership/ Nice opportunity to be an inaugural member :)

it is not surprising but that is so hard on the NRLW players for the push back again -

I think it was Allana Ferguson I heard last night say that many of the players had given notice, taken leave, changed rosters, etc. and completely upended their lives to be prepared for the pre-season and were then given basically 2 weeks notice and no prior consultation that they were pushing it back to February 2022.

That really sucks.. they have bent over backwards a thousand times over to keep the NRL players, supports, referees and administrators happy and looked after - I get that that is where the money comes from but that is so unprofessional for what is a very professional sporting organisation overall...it really shows how little the NRL think of the Women's game and the players to be that dismissive in the way they have handled it all.

jamesgould

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Staff member
Admin
Yeah when you consider all that, it's really poor from the NRL. They should have locked in a proper schedule ages ago, and then made sure it happened at that time.

It was just a few weeks ago they were saying it was 100% certain it would be played after the men's GF.

danknights

Andrew 'Joey' Johns
The company I work for signed on as a sponsor for the women's side. After the news of postponement till this year the girls gifted us their Telstra premiership footies they were training with. My boys are over the moon playing with a footy the "big boys" use.

Still_Nutty

John Schuster

Ali Brigginshaw criticises communication around NRLW postponement as men's players' families are relocated to Queensland​

- https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-03/ali-brigginshaw-nrlw-postponement-nrl-criticism/100432744

She was also on the ABC Breakfast News this morning talking further on the frustrations and lack of communication on this...pretty poor form by the NRL.

It was also highlighted the effort that was made to get player wives and families up to Qld but not have any thought or effort to help and keep these players informed

member 2299

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
I guess mate the big problem comes down to dollars and cents. The NRL had to keep the game going to earn dollars from the broadcasters, and I mean all of them, Nine, Fox, ABC Radio, commercial radio etc. Alas the money is just not there for the NRLW game at this satge, even if I do believe personally they play tougher than the guys.

Can sympathise with the girls over inaction.

jamesgould

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Staff member
Admin
It’s typical NRL … same as they won’t expand the game because the existing clubs aren’t making billions a season … when a second club in Brisbane and NZ, a club in Perth, etc would obviously be successful … because they don’t put the effort into the Women’s NRL it’s not making anywhere near as much money and having the impact it should.

If they did, it would also be something they would have no choice but to go ahead with!

I have to say I also love watching the WNRL and find it better to watch than the men’s game in a lot of ways.

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Hundreds of people have lost jobs across the NRL. Even Mal Meninga took a massive pay cut and lost all his staff as Australian coach.
The Golden Goose that is the NRL is not laying eggs in 2021.
There isn't a lazy 10 mill or whatever to put 6 squads of women into camps in Queensland.
I don't know how they are managing to keep the NRL going to be honest. I kind of expect a story after the season about the NRL asking ScoMo for a handout to keep the doors open next year.

danknights

Andrew 'Joey' Johns
Blake green can't commit to the girls team. Who will coach them now? Will they recruit the tarsha gale coach or go a different direction. Be interesting who would put their hand up.

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
I don't think the coach has been announced yet - or maybe I just took so little interest i forgot.

I can't get interested in this, but I said the same about the under 19s girls last year, and they played such a spectacular brand of footy I really enjoyed watching them last year.

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Half the side signed.
Mostly locals so far.
If all the kiwis we had last year come back, we might have a competitive side.

The coach was in charge of the under 19s girls last year, and they were savage. I was amazed at how they pounded their opposition in defence. In many games the opposition never got to the kick because our savage defence knocked the ball loose within 2 or 3 tackles.

Still_Nutty

John Schuster
I don't think the coach has been announced yet - or maybe I just took so little interest i forgot.

I can't get interested in this, but I said the same about the under 19s girls last year, and they played such a spectacular brand of footy I really enjoyed watching them last year.
I'm glad to see Casey Bromilow given the gig as the Knights inaugural NRLW Coach - like you said Billy, the work he did with the Tarsha Gale Cup squad shows that he is capable, the players respond to him and his crew and they will be all the better for having access to facilities like the Centre of Excellence.

I'd also like to think a little informal interest and engagement with Joey will be available to the squad as they prep for the season...it would have to be pretty inspiring to have even a small level of input and interest from someone of his calibre for this young squad.