Newcastle Knights Off Contracts

Fair call RE Stig pending on how long he'd been in our system before, but I'll always consider Hilder to be a blow in.
A blow in that was scalped playing for our Club and then took took the field against the Storm with his head held together with sticky tape. A blow in that had brain scans due to heavy knocks to the head suffered playing for our Club. A blow in that more than once has won the Players' Player of the Year such is the high regard he's held in by other players. You want the name of a blow in ? Danny Wicks. Came here as an over paid Neville and dragged our Club's and several player's names through the dirt.

That's a bit of a joke, Hilder's done more for the club than most. Lost a chunk out of his forehead and overcome serious head injuries to keep playing for us ... and despite all that played a big role in getting us to the grand final qualifier this year.

He's a club legend in my opinion.

I have a lot of respect for Hilder and the service that his given, however he hasn't been here close to long enough to be considered a clubman.

And playing with injuries is part and parcel of being a NRL player.

A blow in that was scalped playing for our Club and then took took the field against the Storm with his head held together with sticky tape. A blow in that had brain scans due to heavy knocks to the head suffered playing for our Club. A blow in that more than once has won the Players' Player of the Year such is the high regard he's held in by other players. You want the name of a blow in ? Danny Wicks. Came here as an over paid Neville and dragged our Club's and several player's names through the dirt.

Well said mate

I'd say that the only two members of our current squad that can be considered clubman at this stage is Gidley and Mullen, I guess an argument could be made for houston, I know its early days but with the passion that he shows and how much of a mentor he has been i'd say that Mason is well on his way to being a clubman

I know he has been a journey man and has been a trouble maker in the past but since joining the knights what has he done to suggest him not being a clubman, another year or two and then after his playing career maybe a coaching role, plus he is already a mentor to the younger guys, why couldnt he be a clubman?

Hilder not a clubman?

That will do me!

Gives his heart & soul to the club, is a great role model & mentor for the younger guys, wins players player more than once plus all that's listed above. You're a hard man to please

Hilder hasn't been here long enough ... seven years at the end of next season apparently doesn't cut the mustard.

I guess it depends on what your definition of a "clubman" is ... to me it's someone who gives 100% to the Knights jersey, interacts with fans, and would never want to leave. Hilder easily fits the bill.

you'd think Houston would be putting in a big off-season and hoping for a big year he'll have to train and play out of his skin to get a new contract and even to make the bench this year, the only way he is assured a starting spot or deffinate bench spot is with injuries the starting pack will almost certainly be Snowden, Packer, Smith, Rochow bench- Mason, (Cuthbo/Fa'alogo/ Houston?) (Gidley/Dobson/Clysdale), (Sims, Mckinnon).. we will have a lot better depth heading into 2014 , imo hoston has at least 2 players infront of him to even earn a bench spot and as much as I hate saying it Mason will Be more than likely of the bench if Packer comes in good form, but mase will see a lot of game time.

I think at his age its a good idea to play willy off the bench, he will provide plenty of impact when he does come on and it will help prolong his career

I really miss watching Houston each week, tackles his heart out.

I'd be really surprised if he wasn't re-signed. Club loves him for some reason. He had a decent go at the end of the year though.

image.jpg

Yeah I was starting to hope Houston would just stay in NSW Cup for the first half of the season but to his credit he came back and I thought he was one of our best forwards in the lead up to the finals. I don't know if he'll be able to do it again next year but I'd have him on the bench for the opening few games at least. I doubt he'll be re-signed though even if he does have a decent year.

I miss Chris Houston's old form. Used to be my favourite player but has certainly declined in form.

I miss Chris Houston's old form. Used to be my favourite player but has certainly declined in form.

played out of his shell in lead up and in the finals just the depth we have this year might hurt his chances of re-signing, but bennett can get the best out of older players, but saying that Houston would be on a bit of coin and him leaving at the end of 2014 would free up a bit of space in cap and help re-sign players and help attract a big name to the club, im sure Houston could earn big dollars in the superleague

I think at his age its a good idea to play willy off the bench, he will provide plenty of impact when he does come on and it will help prolong his career

The thing about willy is I reckon his ego may get in the way and he wouldn't want to be considered a bench forward, in saying that we really need impact when snowden comes off so havin packer go on then isn't a bad thing either

Pre-holiday House was a great edge player, post-holiday he lost something. Still handy in the middle though, bench prop/lock should be his only spot in the future.

Willy needs to get the tap on the shoulder for the preseason and told to make the most of it, and offered a hilder/tahu style contract for 2015 at best even if in decent form.

I hope Willy only stays for this last year. If he wants to continue after that, it really hurts the depth coming through to get any chances. I love Masons Impact and getting players fired up but he needs to know that there are some good players coming through that really deserve a chance.

Back