Nathan Brown

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by rhugh89, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

What a shambles of a club.

Lefty likes this.
  2. R_A

R_A Ben Kennedy

Well if it is true that Wolfe is popular with the players and did have a bigger input at various times throughout the season when the team struggled it'll be interesting to see how they respond.

3. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Ben Kennedy

Wolfe was our defensive coach yeah?

kurtsux likes this.
  4. R_A

R_A Ben Kennedy

Nathan Brown is expected to be announced as the new coach of the Warriors.

They will probably go through a bit of a turnover with dead wood like Adam Blair as well as identifying emerging young talent.

Kudos to him for taking a job that will be difficult for many reasons.

5. listo

listo Grant Stuart

It'll be a long four or five years for them, but it will be worth it.
    Myself, I don’t think he’s a coach’s arsehole, but a fantastic cleaner, visionary and salesman/recruiter.
    I look forward to watching the progress and development.... if they get early success though, I’ll be dirty on him :lol:

6. packo

packo :) (:

Government
    NZ gunna have da maddest butter chicken now.

7. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

One of the best things Brown did here was to have recent ex NRL players coaching all the junior teams and keeping up the spending on juniors.
    The Warriors have always had the biggest pool of potential juniors of any NRL club, but they have never really brought them through well - letting most of the best sign for other clubs.
    Their juniors have also played with that typical Warriors style of throwing the ball around and not respecting possession, which wins them junior games, but carries through to firstgrade.

Brown should get recent NRL players coaching all their juniors and only keep guys who want to learn how to do the basics right and put in the hard yards. They have a pool of juniors to choose from about 5 times the size of ours, so he should be able to bring them through a lot quicker.

8. Billy

The Warriors cutting Green makes more sense now.
    Part of Brown's "slash and burn" phase no doubt.
    He would not keep a 33 year old no matter how well they are playing. He'll be signing guys who he wants to play well 2 or 3 years from now.

Lefty likes this.
  9. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Ben Kennedy

Predicted this move a long time back now. Warriors can hopefully look forward to a time with a better roster in a few years but in the mean time he will likely bring a few spoons as he clears out the club.

He got a bit lucky with some retirements and Mullo's situation freeing up a large amount of salary cap here to kick start the rebuild.

10. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Green left because he got treated like crap by the Warriors owner. He was only there for 8 more games in any case. The current coach publically unhappy that he left, nothing to do with brown.

Warriors are an absolute basket case. They give the job to Payton, who backflips at the 11th hour to take up the cowboys role. Now they give the job to someone who was saying they didn't want it 3 weeks ago.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...-rules-himself-out-of--warriors-coaching-race

11. knightime

knightime Troy Fletcher

This wasn't Brown's doing. The Warriors could desperately use some slashing and burning however. That'll start from next year no doubt.

12. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Genius move bringing in Gould as well to take the pressure off Brown, people won't even realise he is there.

13. Billy

You don't know when the owners and Brown started talking.
    I don't know either - but I'm thinking, a long time. Maybe about the time they employed him during last off season.

14. knightime

knightime Troy Fletcher

Sounded like the owner had marked the cards of everyone managed by Isaac Moses (https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nz-war...ac-moses/3fa859c7-738e-43ae-9d20-7fcf877920a0). Regardless, Warriors and Brown are the perfect fit given where they both are currently. I suspect Brown will find it harder to recruit externally this time around though. There seemed to be a belief that he could take the Knights into the finals when he was here, hence the ability to assemble a great team. At the Warriors, he'll struggle to get players to move across the ditch (assuming they might be able to travel again by then) and will need to build around the juniors.

15. Still_Nutty

Still_Nutty Robbie O'Davis

That challenge externally has always been an issue for the Warriors, regardless of who's had the gig. To some degree I think part of what Brown and the club will need to do is be more creative for the medium to longer term in building a player pipeline that is likely to include:

• leveraging off attraction and recruitment cross code from union at the grass roots level in NZ, where that may present options...this includes what Billy mentioned above re recent Ex NRL players in junior coaching roles
    • look at developing a stronger talent identification and recruitment strategy in the pacific island region to complement local junior development
    • possibly a better recruitment strategy from the ESL, going forward as well - clubs like the Raiders have used this effectively
    All of this will be subject to the level of support and buy in from the owners to invest and get this right - Brown was lucky in many ways about how the operation of the Knights as an organisation through the NRL handover period (maybe outside of Mr Magic Beans) and the Wests Group played out whilst he was doing his thing.

The more important thing Brown did for the Knights in my opinion was to re-build the culture of the place from the ground up. That will be the biggest and most important challenge in the ability to make the Warriors an organisation 'players want to play at'...

It's taken a long time and it is still a work in progress here that is now being built upon by Obi but that is one of the most effective and strongest legacies Brown left at the Knights.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    knightime likes this.
  16. R_A

R_A Ben Kennedy

Bulldogs back-rower Adam Elliott, Wigan centre Oliver Gildart, Parramatta prop Kane Evans, Dragons centre Euan Aitken and his teammate, Jack de Belin are five potential players on Brown’s hit list at the moment.

And it sounds like Nikorima and CHT will get first crack at the halves combination.

I don’t think all of them are expected to kick on and are all pretty underwhelming hires but if one of them kicks on then it’s a start, similar to when Brown had nothing to work with in 2016 here and Barnett kicked on in a similar fashion and now he’s a fan favourite.

And as some other people have said the Warriors nursery is way too big not to utilise it and having guys bought in who are ready to kick on in first grade.

17. Ethan

Ethan Matthew Johns

Evans goes ok and De Belin is good to

18. Billy

and 14 guys he thinks might be able to play hooker.

Lefty, Owey and Hughburt6 like this.
  19. cowboyman

cowboyman Jarrod Mullen

Hospitality
    That’s a very uninspiring list if I was a Warriors fan and ready that.

20. The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd

The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd Todd Bates

Asset Manager
    I’m straight up surprised that Brown never got tapped up by Cows? Seems like his sort of opportunity and less complex than Warriors. Maybe he did?