Nathan Brown

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by rhugh89, Oct 9, 2017.

?

What should the Knights should do with coach Brown ??

1. Give him to end of season then review post season

14 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. He needs to go now

9 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. Browny isn't the issue

11 vote(s)
    32.4%
  1. Speedymetric

Speedymetric Glen Miller

Brown was only a consultant at the Storm. He wasn't even based in Melbourne, worked out of Sydney & only worked with the hookers or did match reviews. Pretty much like what the Johns brothers did with numerous clubs.

To suggest Brown was a product of the Storm system is ridiculous, especially when he had already had numerous head coaching positions beforehand anyway.

slotmachine likes this.
  2. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Ohh Browny does, he just doesnt show it to the media or fan base.
    He did it once and got hammered for years, only coach in nrl history to walk down a grandstand to start slapping his players across the head for being hopeless

3. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

Would mind if Browny slapped a few opposition players. Starting with Moses on Sunday.

4. MisterLevy

MisterLevy Rod Whitaker

Definitely a different mentality in Newcastle compared to Sydney at least when it comes to business and management.

Hard to put into words what it is but it seems like the Knights and Roosters organisations reflect this difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. danknights

danknights Steve Simpson

We are just the idiots who continue to be loyal to a team full of tossers. What's going to give. Roosters supports seem to be all of 10,000 but go ok without them.

6. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/...n-considering-nathan-browns-position/?cs=7580

Herald article about whether we should replace Brown.
    The conclusion seems to be that we might as well stick with Brown because we are a hopeless basket case whichever way we go.
    It seems to say that Wests should just let things go on as they are, but start looking for a new coach for the future.
    I'd actually hope that Wests have been thinking about this for a long time, and have a plan up their sleave.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  7. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Sean Rudder

Basically still advocates his removal later in the year if things haven't turned around.

I cant imagine Brown wanting to stick around after being told he would be fired at seasons end. And I cant imagine he would be very motivated to do the best for a club he isn't going to be at any longer.

And finally, Brown has said a finals berth is not one of his kpi's for this season. So it may be Wests have already assigned this year as part of the rebuild, team gelling season to begin with and have no pla at all to remove Brown.

8. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Since the day we signed him, I've always suspected that Kristian Woolf is Wests' back up plan.

9. packo

packo :) (:

Government
    You can bet your bottom dollar if we lose the next game or two. Wolf will take over and that will be his shot. By letting Brown sit there Until seasons end I get worried about Ponga wanting out because we are losing every week.

10. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    If Brown wasn't aiming for the 8 this year with the squad he assembled I'll piggy back him to the airport. Only David Copperfield surpasses Brown as an illusionist.

slotmachine and Battler like this.
  11. Battler

Battler Graham Settree

Isn't Woolf supposed to be our defence coach though?

12. 88Knight4life

Brown would 100% have a hope for a finals berth this year.
    Though like most rational thinkers, he would know it would be at least 6wks or so for the team to start finding its feet, so banking on a strong back half of the year would be the end goal.

13. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Sean Rudder

I dont think winning almost every game in the back half of the year is realistic, given the year so far.

No doubt Brown still holds out hope of a finals berth, but from here it is unlikely.

14. Mr Goanna

Mr Goanna hung up on the glory days

should have kept Todd Lowrie around...

15. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    What cheeses me off ? Over the last couple of years in press conferences when 1 of the journalists suggests 1 of the younger players that have been here for a few years had a great game, Brown can never just say "yes he was very good today". It's always (for example) Daniel just needs to get more consistent or Dan's got a few things away from the field he needs to work on. When asked about Levi's game on Sunday he played politician by speaking for a few minutes and saying SFA. How about just agree the kids had a good game and address any issues behind closed doors. When asked about the older guys his answer is always "that's why we got him here" or "that's what happens when come from a good system".

Lefty likes this.
  16. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Sean Rudder

The good system stuff annoys me. We hired Brown to rebuild, is the club happy to hire players from other clubs good systems and not put a good system in place here?

How many years does it take to get our system right and not act like we are the poor unfortunate knights.

Lefty likes this.
  17. Simon Templar

Simon Templar Jason Hoogerworf

Project Manager
    Beaumont - "what Cheeses me off " is when young blokes play one great game and the Media announce them as the next "messiah of the League world", it puts too much pressure on the individuals to live up to the perverse expectations ( this is in no way directed at nor a reflection on the Knights Players you have mentioned , but in the comp generally ) .

There is nothing wrong with stating "they need to be more Consistent" and "they need to work on a few things off the field" if it is correct , reality is a hard task master and there will always be someone to stroke an individuals ego after the game but a coach needs to be realistic, how many of the young crop have failed to produce on a regular basis ( not only at Knights but throughout the League ) ?? How many have fallen into the "Second Year Syndrome" because of the weight of expectation.

With regards to the "older Guys " we should be complaining if they don't live up to the expectations of what is expected at time of recruitment , that is why you target Experienced players - you know what you get.

I do however agree that if a player plays well he should be acknowledged, as should the team be acknowledged if they show ticker and apply themselves with attitude as a unit and cover each others deficiencies.

Perhaps these accolades are presented in the confines of the Dressing shed in front of the Team , where it counts rather than playing out like "a soapie" in the Media scrum.

18. knightime

knightime Max Chapman

Agree with this. A player who puts in for a game should get their deserved recognition for it. That said, we only really see what Brown says to the media. I'm sure Brown and the other coaches would have those discussions away from press conferences, but who knows.

19. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Sean Rudder

I do think Brown over shares in pressers with a little too much words. Saying a player has some things to work on is meaningless unless you are going to elaborate.

He probably felt he had to say those things given most of his press conferences have been after a poor performance or a loss.

Beaumont likes this.
  20. 88Knight4life

Well done mate you played good today, tou get the coaches award and a $5 voucher to maccas.

danknights and knightime like this.