McManus & Knights to settle concussion case

He must be being looked after to an acceptable level by the club and the game? I hope all goes well for him from now on.

Just as an aside to this, it was reported that the nrl would investigate Friz returning to the field last week. I haven't heard anything else and nrl investigations don't tend to last this long, i can only assume the knights don't have a case to answer? I know Friz looked bad straight after his knock, much worse than Jones, but isn't this a lesson to all the arm chair doctors who watch the game to leave it to the professionals? Surely all club doctors are now aware of the ramifications of concussion?

Is it club doctors that have final say if a player is concussed? I thought there were some independent doctors involved as well? If there isn't maybe there should be..
They also need to fix this crusher BS over the off season.. if you lay down over a crusher you shouldn't be allowed back on the field for 10 or 15 minutes or something.. we want to protect our players but we need to get the milking out of the game.

Ferguson was half dead from an alleged crusher last night - until he jumped up and wanted to fight. Maybe he was called out?

Don't think there would be any Club doctors in the bubble in Queensland.

Not the first time he has done it either. It's embarrasing.

NRL probably going to investigate the obvious ones that might be brought up in court cases in future, investigate it now and get statement from club and player. Player/club statement saying he was all sweet to return and protocols were followed will help a future court case.

Is it club doctors that have final say if a player is concussed? I thought there were some independent doctors involved as well? If there isn't maybe there should be..
They also need to fix this crusher BS over the off season.. if you lay down over a crusher you shouldn't be allowed back on the field for 10 or 15 minutes or something.. we want to protect our players but we need to get the milking out of the game.
There are no "club doctors" in Queensland - except the Qld club ones of course.
Every doctor has a legal and ethical obligation to act in the best interests of their patient - not make decisions based on the interests of who is signing their paycheck. The difference between them having a doctor who regularly treats them and an "independent" doctor is that their regular doctor would be able to make better decisions, based on more knowledge of the individual.

The NRL "enquiry" would have taken 30 seconds to complete Q; Were you the medical officer on duty? A; Yes Q; Did you make a clinical decision we can't question because we aren't qualified to do so? A; Yes - alrighty then.

No mention of who pays James’s legal costs. I hope he has not been left with a large legal bill.

Article pointing out that we'll never know how this concluded because both parties are now covered by a non disclosure agreement.

How these things usually end is the insurance company agree to a payout if it doesn't go to trial, no one gets a ruling against them, and no one talks about it again.

No mention of who pays James’s legal costs. I hope he has not been left with a large legal bill.
Says here the legal teams are left to pay their own bills, but McManus’ team might have been working on a free basis unless they won: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/mc...l-walk-away-empty-handed-20210918-p58st0.html

Article pointing out that we'll never know how this concluded because both parties are now covered by a non disclosure agreement.

How these things usually end is the insurance company agree to a payout if it doesn't go to trial, no one gets a ruling against them, and no one talks about it again.
Was this the case here? Sounds like the ruling went in favour of the NRL. I can’t read the article above due to the paywall though.

Well I sure hope he got something … but he seemed to determined so take it to trial, I’d be surprised if he accepted a payout at this late stage …

Well I sure hope he got something … but he seemed to determined so take it to trial, I’d be surprised if he accepted a payout at this late stage …

Yep shame it finished the way it did, I remember he had a corporate role pre all this flaring up, hopefully he can become involved especially since as the NRL agreed to take over this rather than leaving it with us pre Wests buying us.

Back