Mata'utia Brothers

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Lower Grades' started by CORNER_92, May 22, 2013.

1. CORNER_92

CORNER_92 Greg Hayward

Apprentice Lift Mechanic
    Just wondering your thoughts on the four Mata'tuia brothers furtures at the club and their chances of making first grade. With our current first grade backs (Boyd, Uate, Gagai and McManus) looking like they'll be keeping their starting spots for atleast the next two years and some feirce competition for the remaining centre spot BJ and Likiliki. Dare say Quinn and Tahu will retire at seasons end. Kev being moved on is proberly good for their chances but will we be able to keep them in our reserve grade side???

2. Ms.Nobody

Ms.Nobody Banned

It depends on if they want to stick together or sacrifice and move for opportunity.

It's no secret Boyd will be leaving once Wayne does. He's already said he wants to finish career in QLD.

That's only minimum 2 years away pending if WB re-signs or retires/moves on.

I think Pete has peaked and is ready for full time NRL. But like Naiqama he is stuck behind a backline that is barely moving. I like him at fullback, but don't blame him if he can't wait any longer.

Chanel is learning his trade in NSW Cup and again if patient I expect him to keep learning there for a couple more years to come. He's only young and probably not ready as of yet.

Pat is a favourite of mine when I'd watch the SG Ball games especially those tries in the final series to win. He played fullback and was just dynamite. Awesome fend. I think he's been injured though and is only just getting back into Holden Cup. Again there is still plenty if development to be done.

Sione is the youngest but wow he can play as good as all of them. He has stood out in the Matts & Ball teams the past couple of years with ease. He's a natural centre.

I think it all comes down to if they stick together or not. They've still got a couple of years to go in terms of progress barring Pete who I think is ready to play in the NRL for good.

They would be huge losses, but an opportunity here or there may come in the future if they stick around.

3. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

If we only get to keep 1 i'd like it to be Pat, who I think will be the best of them.
    Sione is doing better than the others did at the same age, but my opinion is that is because he trains harder to keep up with his older brothers and Pat is more naturally gifted.

4. Rednblue

Rednblue Rod Whitaker

Pat is too sign with a club in a month. Pete and Chanel have been nsw cups bests in the last two months and have a few offers to pick from and from what I herd sione is training in nrl next year at the age of 17. Will play 20s soon. Good talents but we have great backs in our club.
    I'm worried about our depth next year when players leave.

5. Ms.Nobody

Ms.Nobody Banned

So the Knights only want Sione at this stage or have they offered the brothers deals as well but they've got better elsewhere? I'm curious to know if they are keen to leave or what.

Fullback spot in 2 years time will be up for grabs IMO. Can't see Boyd finishing his career in Newcastle.

6. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

I think we probably would have offered them, Wayne Bennett has talked up both Pete & Pat publicly before so he must want to have them at the club if they'll stay.

7. Rednblue

Rednblue Rod Whitaker

Sione still has a year left.

8. Rednblue

Rednblue Rod Whitaker

The knights are chasing all four brothers signatures.

9. Junior11

Junior11 Moderator Moderator

Good news, I hope they all stay. They might not realise it yet but the fans love them and they're the future of our club. And the biggest bonus is they're all so young still.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  10. Billy

Sione scored two tries in the first 5 minutes for NSW under 18s. The Penrith fullback scored a hat trick and got MOTM, but Sione can't have been far behind.

11. jamesgould

jamesgould Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Peter will be the number one back up to fullback and centre next year, he should see plenty of first grade if he stays.

12. Billy

All four brothers offer a lot and have a firstgrade future.
    I've had question marks over Chanel in the past because he is the only one of them that is a pure winger and doesn't play a variety of positions, but watching him play recently he has added size and power and kept his speed and he really does look like a young Uate now.
    Pete had a slow start to this season, but he has gone on a try scoring spree in the last month or so and is in career best form. If we could find a spot for him he could slot into firstgrade easily.
    Pat has had some injuries this year, but I think he has only played in two losing sides in NYC this year. He makes well over 100 metres a game at centre and our NYC side is hard to beat when Pat is putting us on the front foot with his powerful runs.
    Sione needs to get his leg injuries right. Otherwise i'd have him in NYC alongside Pat, and I wouldn't be surprized if he had similar impact to Pat.
    I saw a picture of Sione next to Pete the other day, and now Pete is officially the runt of the litter. The other 3 are all going to be Uate sized, and all four of the boys are fast and much more powerful than they look. I remember Pat going from fullback into the forwards in Ball when our pack was out on their feet in one game, and he basically monstered the opposition props for 15 minutes or so, because he is generally the strongest guy on the field in the juniors, as is Sione in just about every game.
    Pete, Pat and Sione are all Aus schoolboys, and most of those go on to play NRL.
    If we can tie up all four we have the backs covered for the next 10 years.

13. Rednblue

Rednblue Rod Whitaker

So iv been told earlier today. Melbourne, cowboys, manly bulldogs and dragons are in bid for the brothers. Not too sure if it is for all four or separately. It's surprising it has taken the knights so long to be very interested.

14. cowboyman

cowboyman Ben Kennedy

Hospitality
    Sione and Pat please. Pete while is good backup for first grade I don't see him being a genuine starter in first grade at this point in time. Only seen Chanel in NYC and wasn't too impressed with him, seems very one dimensional.

- - - Updated - - -

Dallin Watene-Zelezniak is his name. One of the best young talents I have ever seen. Good chance of him pushing for FG next year pushing Moylan up into the halves.

15. Rednblue

Rednblue Rod Whitaker

Yeh I herd of this kid, sione matautia set up two of his tries.

16. paddy

paddy Darren Forward

got a son up your way cowboyman ,just turned 17...brandons his name watch for him.

17. cowboyman

cowboyman Ben Kennedy

Hospitality
    What's his surname? NYC or scholarship contracted?

18. paddy

paddy Darren Forward

brandon smith..signed for 4 years when 15...will 20s debut this year as 17 couple weeks ago.

19. cowboyman

cowboyman Ben Kennedy

Hospitality
    Awwk nice, good luck to him. He is going to need it as the U20's side are going crap again this year.

20. CORNER_92

CORNER_92 Greg Hayward

Apprentice Lift Mechanic
    Now Likilki has signed with the Titans id say that would improve our chances of retaining the brothers.