Knights sign Andrew McCullough for rest of the season

All positions are important. You can have a superstar fullback but if it's not backed by a decent team he will do a whole lot of f all. Best will be talked about and so will ponga. They both will be vital cogs to the knights premiership hopes and they both play different roles. Hard to pick a "better" one.

All positions are important. You can have a superstar fullback but if it's not backed by a decent team he will do a whole lot of f all. Best will be talked about and so will ponga. They both will be vital cogs to the knights premiership hopes and they both play different roles. Hard to pick a "better" one.

I don't see how it's an argument really. Ponga has had his ups & downs as you would expect from a player of his age, but he's clearly shown he is of the highest ilk. What has Best done so far? He's thrown a couple passes for tries & scored some, set up by his inside man. He's shown great physicality for an 18 year old but god damn we're jizzing over him too quickly. If you can't see that Ponga is far more important to our premiership chances then I can't help you. Yes they need help, a superstar fullback won't necessarily lift a bad team into glory, but a superstar centre sure as hell won't standing out on an edge waiting for good ball.

I'll answer this by saying Ponga's skill set at 22 is way ahead of Slater and Teddys at the same age. RTS was a winger at this point and Inglis a centre. Slater really did evolve the fullback game throughout his career and that is what they all try to emulate now. Ponga is certainly one out of the box, but he is only 22 and is handling the most technical position on the field. On top of that, he has adapted pretty quickly to a different style of attack this year, playing more like Teddy instead of sweeping so much. I think he has improved the 1% plays/effort plays so much this year.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I don't see how it's an argument really. Ponga has had his ups & downs as you would expect from a player of his age, but he's clearly shown he is of the highest ilk. What has Best done so far? He's thrown a couple passes for tries & scored some, set up by his inside man. He's shown great physicality for an 18 year old but god damn we're jizzing over him too quickly. If you can't see that Ponga is far more important to our premiership chances then I can't help you. Yes they need help, a superstar fullback won't necessarily lift a bad team into glory, but a superstar centre sure as hell won't standing out on an edge waiting for good ball.
You seem like your good at predicting the future. Good chat. Your post is feeling a little arrogant to me so I'll just leave it there.

Guys you gotta realise much of attack in footie is a split second judgement and you have to expect fellas to make the odd error. I am sure Kalyn realises he blew it and will be fine the next time a similar set of circumstances arise.

At the end of the day we are all human and make the odd mistake.

You seem like your good at predicting the future. Good chat. Your post is feeling a little arrogant to me so I'll just leave it there.

Well I'm sorry if it comes across that way, I just feel passionately about it. For me there's nothing Bradman has done yet that allows me to put him up there with Ponga in their influence on a side. I'm not doubting Bradman could be a great player, but at the moment it comes across to me as local pride. I love the fact we have good locally bred Newcastle players coming through again, but I'm not going to allow that to get in the way of my thought that Ponga is the best prospect.

Ponga by the length of the Flemington straight is the better talent. It’s not even close at this stage.

edit, didn’t even make it to Battlers comment and seen we used the same analogy.

It really shouldn’t even be a debate here.

The funny thing about Best is that people see him and think a guy that solid can't be fast, but most of his tries in firstgrade, and most of his tries in the lower grades, come from defenders thinking they have him covered but he gets the ball, claps on the afterburners, and the defenders get to help him up after he scores. Even when he is blowing past defenders like they are standing still, he doesn't look fast.
Bronson Xerri scores a try in the exact same way and he looks breathtakingly fast, but when Best does it, you think, how did the defenders not lay a hand on that lump of a guy?

Ponga go it wrong because he had too many options that’s all. Nobody trains for a 4 on 1, and he was the victim of having too many tools in his arsenal. That’s a bit of experience for him. 4 on 2 he probably pulls the trigger on a better option.

Ponga go it wrong because he had too many options that’s all. Nobody trains for a 4 on 1, and he was the victim of having too many tools in his arsenal. That’s a bit of experience for him. 4 on 2 he probably pulls the trigger on a better option.
It's easier to spot a 4 on 1 from the grandstand sometimes too. I don't know what he saw at ground level, maybe he saw the defender out of the corner of his eye and was worried about another intercept?

The funny thing about Best is that people see him and think a guy that solid can't be fast, but most of his tries in firstgrade, and most of his tries in the lower grades, come from defenders thinking they have him covered but he gets the ball, claps on the afterburners, and the defenders get to help him up after he scores. Even when he is blowing past defenders like they are standing still, he doesn't look fast.
Bronson Xerri scores a try in the exact same way and he looks breathtakingly fast, but when Best does it, you think, how did the defenders not lay a hand on that lump of a guy?
The fastest he looked was the 30m run out of our end against the Raiders. The rest of the comp is raving about him now, can't wait to here the reaction when he gets into the clear 60 out and they actually see how fast he is.

This gives you a bit of a sense of Bradman's speed...
I watched that game on a webcast. The incredible thing about that try is Best was playing left wing and in the last seconds of the game he'd ran back 30 metres to try to cover the kick and Hopate ran away from him to the other side, so Best just kept following him and was there to take the pass on the right wing and streak away. He basically ran 30 metres towards his ingoal, 60 metres across field and 110 down the sideline to score a 200 metre try - running away from everyone else on the field in the 70th minute of the game.

Back