Knights extend the contract of coach Nathan Brown

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by rhugh89, Oct 9, 2017.

1. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

Yeah what a waste of space that article is. Only about 6 months late.

R_A likes this.
  2. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

We have talked about that angle on here, but for people who only read the Herald and the Knights site, the "spin" they put on Brown's contract was that he was signed forever, no questions asked.
    That article will come as a bit of a shock for most Knights fans.

3. R_A

R_A Darren Albert

Pretty sure Gardner talked about all those terms six months ago
    When first talking about the contract and then when it was sorted

- open ended
    - can have the job as long as he wants, or sacked on short notice with a payout
    - goes off a trust basis
    - the detailed clauses are less known I don’t think anyone will ever know the full details
    - bonuses for finals appearances/wins etc
    - says this is how many contracts are structured including his

This is not news lol

Perhaps to casual fans or fans of other teams it may be

Tasgirl and Matty23 like this.
  4. Hughburt6

Hughburt6 Darren Meredith

Article says he replaced Bennett, they sure know their stuff

R_A likes this.
  5. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Adam Woolnough

Funny my mum texts me yesterday saying how Brownie has been signed to open ended contract and can quit at any time, like this was news.

There are fans like us that try to soak up every piece of info we can about the team, and those who just watch them play and don't.

Of course, I set her straight that this is old news and Brownie put off signing this contract as he was working out compensation should he be sacked etc, and how if the Knights are at a point where either Brown wants to leave without notice, or we are sacking him, then it's probably for the best he goes anyway.

But yeah, nothing article.

6. Still_Nutty

Still_Nutty Tea Ropati

From my recollection, a lot of the delay/toing and froing was because the contract negotiations were occurring at the same time the Bulldogs were going through the Hasler contract debacle and Gardiner and Brown wanted to ensure the contract structure was capable of ensuring that sort of BS wasn't possible under this contract

7. Tubby

Tubby Graeme Foster

The thing I don't get is what if the knights have a ripper of a season and suddenly Brown is in demand as a coach? The Dragons or Sharks offer him a big contract the following year. He can just slip out the back door?

All hypothetical of course. And it's not like contracts stop coaches leaving early now anyway.

8. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Adam Woolnough

That's it, contracts are worthless these days so it's not a big deal.

If we are going well, and we keep him happy he wont go. If he gets an offer he'd rather take up than it means he isn't committed to the Knights and we are better off parting ways.

9. Wobbles

Wobbles Andrew Tangata-Toa

Despite all of the criticism levelled at Brown over the last few seasons regarding the recruitment strategy (particularly an insanely high player turnover) he has stuck with his plan and has built the team he wants, of course with a sterling effort from Mooney.

If the results on the field begin to reflect the ability of the squad and we enter another golden period of success I would be astounded to see Brown begin to look elsewhere before savouring the fruits of his labour.

Unless Brown has a penchant for punishment and enjoys the prospect of rebuilding another club, he'll be short odds to stick out a significant chunk of his coaching career at the Knights if they become an ongoing genuine premiership contender. Wests obviously see the value in Brown as a coach, hence the nature of the deal they struck with him and would be unlikely to let him go without a fight. As long as we're successful, Brown will be paid accordingly.

The rationale of signing overs for a "supercoach" like Bennett (who is out for instant results) works for some clubs, but community-based club like Newcastle thrive under coaches who understand the culture of the town. It's fair to say that Brown is in that category.

On the flip side, if the results don't come quickly, he won't be here too long.

10. R_A

R_A Darren Albert

I'm fine with the coaching setup Wests have provided at the moment. None of this coaching other teams and recruiting for other teams while you're contracted to your current club nonsense. And paying out a coach for 2 years or hiring a coach two years in advance.

As Gardner said player/coach contracts will move forward this way to avoid dead money and necessary money being spent and based off the way we've been run we need it!

I would almost go as far to say is make EVERYONE's base salary the minimum wage of the NRL salary in accordance with what the projected cap figure is and then maybe guaranteed money and KPIs for games played etc and if you screw up then you lose all your bonuses and get paid the minimum wage. If you don't screw up you'll get your guaranteed money, simple.
    Players would think twice before risking having alcohol in their blood while driving or going out on a bender while injured. The heavy fines are a start

Joshhh likes this.
  11. Barry Crush

Barry Crush Rod Whitaker

Retired
    If the coaches short listed for Cronulla are whats available doubt Brownie has much to worry about

12. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

It sounded weird when you had terms like 'open ended/indefinite contract' being sprouted about, but it actually makes a lot of sense when you explain it like this. It probably is the future, instead of signing coaches to a set period of years, they would just sign an agreement to coach, with terms like settlements, kpis etc. agreed upon beforehand. Just like hiring any contractor to do a certain job for you. No bullshit like we see in the modern game.