Knights and Rabbitohs to face off in Cairns

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by rhugh89, May 1, 2014.

1. rhugh89

rhugh89 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Blockbuster Match Up as the NRL Returns to Cairns in 2014

Rabbitohs Media Release

Thu 1st May, 09:30AM

[​IMG]

The South Sydney Rabbitohs and the Newcastle Knights will bring the NRL to Cairns in what promises to be a blockbuster round 21 fixture to be played on Sunday 3 August at 3pm at Barlow Park.

Tickets are now on sale to the general public as of today with the Rabbitohs and Cairns Regional Council working on seating structures in the south-west try zone area to enhance the viewing experience at Barlow Park, as the Club aims to surpass last year’s crowd of 16,118 with a capacity attendance this August.

With stars-a-plenty set to the take to the field at Barlow Park, this game promises to be a blockbuster on every level.

Led by Head Coach Michael Maguire, the Rabbitohs’ international stars including Greg Inglis, Sam Burgess, Issac Luke, George Burgess, Bryson Goodwin and Thomas Burgess are set to line up against Newcastle’s international players including Darius Boyd, Willie Mason, Jeremy Smith, Akuila Uate and David Fa’alogo, led by Head Coach Wayne Bennett.

Minister for Tourism, Major Events, Small Business and the Commonwealth Games, Jann Stuckey said the Cairns NRL match was supported by Tourism and Events Queensland as part of a three-year agreement and had become a highlight on the city’s major event calendar.

“Last year’s match generated more than 9,000 visitor nights for the region and contributed around $2 million into the Queensland economy,” Ms Stuckey said.

“Tourism and events are intrinsically linked and the Queensland Government’s Destination Success 20-year plan for tourism recognises the need to nurture and support events in Queensland to maximise the benefits and grow regional tourism destinations.”

The Northern Pride will feature in an Intrust Super Cup match against the Tweed Heads Seagulls in the curtain raiser to the Rabbitohs vs Knights fixture at Barlow Park on Sunday 3 August.

Northern Pride CEO Brock Schaefer said: “The Northern Pride is thrilled to once again partner with the South Sydney Rabbitohs to bring an NRL Premiership Game, the Big Show to Cairns.

“This is one of Rugby League’s true heartlands and in 2014 we will show the rest of Australia how much we love this game by filling Barlow Park to the brim.

“We are encouraging all of our Season Members and supporters to get their tickets as early as they can.

“Let’s put the ‘full house’ sign on Barlow Park.”

Tickets for the South Sydney Rabbitohs vs Newcastle Knights match at Barlow Park at 3pm on Sunday 3 August are available from 10am today by visiting www.ticketscairns.com.au or calling (07) 4053 8333.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/20...l_returns_to_cairns_in_2014_on_sale_now_.html

2. Lynchyknight

Lynchyknight Clint Newton

Townsville - Wish I lived in Newcastle though
    Ill be there. Looking forward to it :)

3. Gidleys-my-knight08

Gidleys-my-knight08 The future Mrs Joey Johns

Student
    I was devastated this is our only match against Souths as half of my family are Souths supporters and we usually go to Newy or Syd to watch the grudge match. Cairns though is a bit of a trek haha.

4. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Just dandy the one match I was going to this year now in Darwin.

Kiffers!

5. TheBatman

TheBatman Trent Hodkinson

You do know that Cairns isn't in Darwin don't you?

6. Theknightsrule7

Theknightsrule7 Matthew Gidley

Looking for work
    Glad it's a Sunday game. Actually very keen to head up for this, right near my birthday too.