Kalyn Ponga

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Aidos, Mar 9, 2018.

1. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Get the finger out Browny and Uncle Phil. Update asap.

The sharks (maybe not Sharkies) are circling and we need the kid.

2. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

3. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Before last season some on here were saying he might not make the Round 1 side. Certainly come a long way.

4. Grug

Grug Glen Frendo

They haven’t been able to talk about contracts from what I understand as Ponga was in the process of sorting out his manager. Now he has settled on his dad (a day or two ago) to be his manager any talks that may happen can happen.

5. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    I watched that live Joshhh and Browny's cavalier attitude did not impress me with his lack of urgency.

6. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Well it should.

knightime likes this.
  7. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Seems to be less messy then than the Joey contracts used to be, remember his last one the whole rara scare, his car getting set on fire and than 9 coming to the rescue with the 10 year media deal...........

8. knightime

knightime Todd Anderson

I've doubted Brown's patience before but he's a skillful recruiter. He managed to bring Ponga and plenty others here. I'm confident he'll be able to get them to stay, including Ponga.

9. Joshhh

Well he's basically saying Ponga & his family knows we want him to stay & as soon as he wants to talk extension they will. Pretty much makes it sound like all this media stuff about ignoring him is crap. It's better for us to respect his wishes to just play footy at the moment over being impatient & forcing the issue on him.

Tasgirl likes this.
  10. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Kalyn came out and said maybe half a year ago he wasn’t worried about his contract because he still has 3 years here. I don’t know why all of a sudden people are getting their knickers in a knot over losing him when that would be far from the case. Stop listening to BS journalists like Rothfield or Kent and the likes of those guys. When the time comes to lock up Ponga, we will.

11. Lord of the Skraelings

Could be the type of thing that its not a big deal with Ponga until the club tries to put pressure on him?

12. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Mark Hughes

Media is going crazy at the moment over this. Gould now calling on nrl to open the war chest right now to secure him.

I do think there is scope for the NRL to introduce a marquee player fund to pay the games elite players an amount per year to stay in NRL with whatever team.

But, ponga has said he isn't worried about his contract. Brown has said when Ponga wants to talk contract extension then they will be ready for it.

Anything else is just the media circus that happens when you have one of the games best players, and a potential future immortal.

In the end, if Ponga wants to leve he will, if he wants to stay the club will get their shot at signing him.

Frank McWilliams likes this.
  13. Joshhh

I know this is not you, it's sort of just become a thing associated with his name, so don't take it personally, but geez I wish rugby league could drop the Ponga immortal thing. The kid is 21 & two years into his career. Being named an immortal is like 20 years away, it's a thing for players who had a great 10+ year career & their legacy goes well beyond their retirement. Calling him a future immortal is so silly. Fortunately he's the kind of kid that probably doesnt get affected or crumble under the pressure of those kinds of calls.

14. knightime

knightime Todd Anderson

15. R_A

R_A Sean Rudder

Sure doesn’t sound like someone who would want his son to get out of a deal early so that he could make more money sooner hehe.

16. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Mark Hughes

100%. My comment about potential immortal was to highlight the media fixation.

I'd rather see a proper hall of fame concept supported than just immortals. The nrl has a hall of fame but it is horribly implemented.

17. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Mark Hughes

knightime likes this.
  18. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

Let’s just give 2 and a half years and 3 NRL titles than we can re-sign him long term.

knightime likes this.
  19. Lord of the Skraelings

20. Jaybro

Jaybro Lenny Beckett

The thing with Kayln is that I don't think anyone apart from his inner circle actually know what he wants to do or what type of person he is. He doesn't give away too much with his laid back attitude it's hard to get a read of him. People presume he'll go chase the money or go to the All Blacks to help his 'brand'. I'm not convinced he's that worried about his 'brand' or playing in 'bigger markets', I honestly think as long as he's happy he'll stay.

Even all this All Blacks talk it really was forced down his throat, if a reporter from Maori TV asks you do you want to play for the All Blacks you're going to say yes lol. As for Gus Gould saying the NRL needs to help Newcastle keep him, I doubt that would happen, the only way I could see the NRL paying him to stay in the game is in a 'Tony Lockett to Sydney Swans' type arrangement where if they were to bring in an expansion team they'd want him to be the face of it.