Kalyn Ponga

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Aidos, Mar 9, 2018.

1. R_A

R_A Sean Rudder

Good to see the Telecrap months behind the actual news.

2. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Sean Rudder

CM saying how the Knights are making the mistake moving him to 5/8, apparent;y it was Ponga wanting to make the switch to 5/8 according to Ponga.

Brown said last year Ponga will know when he was ready to move to 5/8, it seems he thinks now is the time.

My concern is not whether he will succeed as I know he will, with time. Brown has said we need patience with Ponga's move to 5/8, and the concern is if we are not winning games, and Ponga is not really gelling to the position quickly, how long does Brown give him with our season slipping away. Not to forget Brown will be under pressure this season to deliver some result.

In the past, Brown has tended to give players too long to find their feet I believe. Though he didn't have many choices for replacements in most cases.

3. cowboyman

cowboyman Ben Kennedy

Hospitality
    From a interview I’ve seen he was asked and he said he prefers fullback but doing what’s best for the team.

Either way it’s just a stupid positional change that really isn’t needed. Ponga was playing more as a 5/8th in attack last year while hiding him at fullback in defence now it’s open slather on him.

4. Joel

Joel Touche...

5. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

Scorsese would be turning in his grave if he was dead.

6. krustykraz

krustykraz Luke Quigley

From the Telecrap on Ponga's extension:

Newcastle can’t afford to wait on Ponga’s contract talk. Image: Tony Feder/Getty Images

KNIGHTS IGNORE PONGA

NEWCASTLE Knights have still done nothing about upgrading the contract of superstar fullback Kalyn Ponga.

His manager Wade Rushton has not heard from the club for more than three weeks.

The champion fullback is on $600,000 a season at the Knights — about half of what the highest-paid players in the game are earning.

Many good judges now rate Ponga the No.1 player in the NRL.

The Queensland fullback is not off contract for another two years but his agent feels there is a genuine case for an immediate upgrade and negotiations for a long-term deal.

Knights chief executive Phil Gardner is notoriously difficult in contract negotiations.

Yet Ponga is their biggest star since Andrew Johns and there would be a huge backlash in Newcastle if he were to leave.

https://outline.com/Lu6Gg8

7. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Its funny when the same reporter was saying he signed for 900k a yr only 18mths ago.

Its pretty well known his on 3mil over 4yrs with incentives, I'd say his making those targets atm and is getting the 750k ish that follows in the deal.
    I'm sure the talks will start again after SOO and some kind of upgrade done at seasons end.
    I still think 900k a year is fair with TPA deals on top.

Lefty likes this.
  8. 88Knight4life

9. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

I’m looking forward to the day that Buzz finally succumbs to his alcoholism. The guy is an absolute parasite. He just throws sh*t at the wall hoping that something may stick.

packo likes this.
  10. 88Knight4life

His not had a drink since 2007, but that brain has had some major damage done hahaha

Wobbles and packo like this.
  11. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

I don't wish any ill on Ponga, but I wouldn't be negotiating a new contract while he is at the peak of his powers and with the hype about him in over drive.
    We have 2 years to negotiate, and it's almost certain that he'll have ups and downs, just like everyone else.
    I can fully understand his manager wanting to rush a new deal while he is flying high, but it really would be like buying shares when the market is at record highs.

ASJ82 and 88Knight4life like this.
  12. 88Knight4life

Totally agree, maybe since the Manager is pushing the deal so hard the club could put in a clause that if Ponga does have a drop in form the club reserves the right to deduct 10% of the deal. As if that would be happening.

13. Owey

Owey Nathan Ross

Ponga is what they call in the NFL a franchise player, someone you build your club around for the next decade. The kid is special, and incredibly marketable as well. The knights know what they have got, and they would already know what they need to do to keep him as they would be talking to him weekly. What needs to happen is for a couple of Newcastle based companies to make him the face of their business for ten years or so, tpas for Ponga are going to be critical when it comes to the quality of player we put around him. We have 17 months before other clubs can talk to him. To stop that happening, given his importance, the club will most likely upgrade and extend from next year. Indications are that is what the club is looking to do. We aren't just talking about a talented kid here, we are talking about the superstar of his generation. You treat him as such. I'm confident his next contract will be with us, but how it is set up could have a big bearing on if he signs another one beyond that. Or do you look at a Tamulolo(sp?) like contract to make renegotiations irrelevant?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Wobbles likes this.
  14. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    So if Ponga, didn't kick on and was playing NSW cup at the moment would have offered to cut Kalyn to a base contract? Player managers scum as usual.

And Phil Gardner being difficult, no Phil just doesn't have terms dictated to him by media and scummy managers.

I'd be negotiating an upgrade for sure, but his original deal is fine as it stands, let him get his 1.2 Million as season after the next 2 years.

15. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

If Uncle Phil is notoriously difficult how did he manage to snare Pearce and Klemmer?

Seems to me if the talent if there the $$$ sort themselves out.

I have zero concern about ponga moving to another nrl club. The all blacks maybe somewhere down the line.

16. 88Knight4life

Browny seemed pretty relaxed and confident about his relationship with the Ponga Family tonight on nrl360.

Pretty much saying when Ponga feels ready to talk they're ready to talk, until then the club is letting him enjoy his footy.
    IMO the club have a 1 mil deal ready and waiting with a good tpa waiting also.

Battler and member 2299 like this.
  17. Jaybro

Jaybro Lenny Beckett

Personally I wouldn’t be waiting for his contract to run into its final year to speak to him, Kayln is a smart kid he knows what he’s worth and he knows he can go any where he wants.

I’d definitely be looking to upgrade and extend and as someone mentioned I’d at least be floating the idea of a Taumalolo type deal.

This talk about Ponga dropping form is nonsense IMO, KP is a ‘can’t miss’ type player the only thing that could bring him down is injury.

18. R_A

R_A Sean Rudder

Knights ignore Ponga even though various sources months ago that have confirmed they are extremely keen to keep him beyond his current deal.
    Buzz yet again has no clue

Also Buzz has no clue what Gardner thinks as proven in the past based off his incorrect reporting on the Klemmer deal.

Also it seems like his dad is going to manage him going forward so that may explain the stalling...

19. 88Knight4life

20. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yeah.