Kalyn Ponga

The surprizing thing about his first game at 5/8 was how well he worked in defence, not just his individual tackling ability, but the way he got Denniss and Sio staying on their man and cleaned up the whole structure on that side. I didn't expect that, but he does surprize me every game.
Was also impressed with his kick chase was often first there and brought players up with him.

Was also impressed with his kick chase was often first there and brought players up with him.

Notice when he put the kick through for Dennis to score he'd wrapped around and was on the outside of Dennis just in case. Plenty would put the kick through and say do your best.

We'll struggle to keep him after this contract whatever he decides to do long term.
He is already worth more than the generous contract we signed him for, and if he becomes a dominant playmaker by the time his contract is up, it's bids above a million a year as a starting point, and maybe he might be leagues first 2 million a year player.

It's impossible to predict what direction he'll take, especially if he achieves all of the goals he sets himself early (SOO, Australia, premiership, Dally M).
An All Black jersey is absolutely achievable, even a golfing Major if he put his mind to it.

I wouldn't be surprised if his next starting offer is $1.5M, if there's a bidding war then $2M would certainly be realistic. With the impact and confidence he instills into the team and community just through his presence I wouldn't have any qualms allocating that to retaining him while his form is so brilliant.

The fact is that Ponga is about as relaxed and carefree a player you'll see, I doubt his main motivator will be money at every stage in his career.
Whatever time the Knights are fortunate to have him commit to the team we should be thankful for.

Hopefully that is long enough to net us a premiership.

He is a Handy player but it will take a capable side with quality players in all the run on positions, which are ably supported by a bench with an added impact or stability and reasonable depth in the overall 30 man squad to go virtually injury free at the business end of the season in conjunction with the "Footy Gods" or at least the Refs and the Video idiot contributing with some favourable calls to help us out along the way before we get a chance to compete in the GF.

Do we know if Ponga has a Mrs yet? Get him settled with one and while his dopey and horney get him signed up for 10 years.

We need one of those broads from that dollhouse show lol.

Ahhh Scaleybugs.

You have such a sweet, tender way with romantic words. For mine you should start a lonely hearts club .. or a swingers club!

There is an article on the roar suggesting that we offer kaylan a mill a year for the next 3 seasons if he is willing to commit to a longer deal. Wondering on people's thoughts on this. I personally would wait to maybe a year to go on his contract and offer him an upgraded contract.

Whatever it takes to keep him here. He who hesitates is lost. The kid has produced much more than anticipated so go for it.

With Wests backing surely he is the ideal type for a healthy TPA.

I'd like to see him evolve before offering him crazy dollars. See what next yrs like. Looks like our junior pathways are getting back on track and hopefully start producing nrl standard players more consistently.

Yep Rob let's wait a year and the Doncs or Chooks, who always have money 'under the cap' can slip under our guard and grab him.

Ponga has signed to a TV deal according to the commentators on Foxtel the other day.
That is third party money for him.
If League wants to keep him away from Union they need to start picking him in rep sides to boost his income as well.
As I understand it, SOO and Australian rep players are paid half their fee up front and the other half is paid into a retirement fund that they only get if they stick to Rugby League, with Darren Lockyer picking up over a million when he retired.
We need Ponga to build up a nest egg from rep games that he can't walk away from, and that means he need to make rep sides as often as possible.

Geez, first year of NRL, SOO, already has a media career lined up, possible Australian selection at end of year and already looking at a potential upgrade.

Not a bad first year.

And if he is smart he won't go near a LOLO type deal.

Looking at his Instagram Kalyn seems to be doing ok in Newcastle. Won't be in a hurry to leave I would think. Come on Jess lift your game.

Back