Kalyn Ponga

I'm with Kenny on Ponga. There was plenty asking whether he had the attributes to be a NRL fullback. Doesn't matter if he fails the next 3 or next 5 games he showed on Friday night he's already a quality NRL custodian.

Its real hard for me to make a simple point these days lol. There's a little squad of haters who cant get a grip

Lmao. Who are you to say what will happen and when?

He is basically already playing the role lol. Im not making the case for him to wear the 6 on his back, im just asking why we need to take a position on where he will or won't play, and within certain periods of time. Its all a bit silly imo

And again, trying to impose your view on reality. There doesnt need to be ups and downs lol. He looks really solid already. Theres no reason why he cant do that every week. Billy Slater was playing origin 18 months after debuting in FG. There were no 'ups and downs'

You're expectations were wrong. That is all.

This is where it started in this thread, you jumping on ciwboysman for having a opinion.

Pretty much every thread has constant kenny dribble.

This is where it started in this thread, you jumping on ciwboysman for having a opinion.

Pretty much every thread has constant kenny dribble.

This one goes back a long way 88, Ponga is a hot topic! But in this case we should move on

If you can manage to avoid attacking me from time and then relying on support from your BF to carry the argument through I think you'll find that Im more than happy to keep things relaxed

As other members were saying. The offseason was great. There were absolutely no problems until you came back and resumed getting stuck into me at every turn.

If its ok with you id like to give this one a rest please

This one goes back a long way 88, Ponga is a hot topic! But in this case we should move on

If you can manage to avoid attacking me from time and then relying on support from your BF to carry the argument through I think you'll find that Im more than happy to keep things relaxed

As other members were saying. The offseason was great. There were absolutely no problems until you came back and resumed getting stuck into me at every turn.

If its ok with you id like to give this one a rest please

Ask not to attack you, then add insults.
You are all class for a worm.

P.S most members dont bother posting due to you.

If Ricky Stuart looks at our last game he'll tell his kickers to target SKD instead of Ponga. SKD had a bad case of butter fingers - but I'm told he does that every now and then and is OK again the next week.

Ask not to attack you, then add insults.
You are all class for a worm.

P.S most members dont bother posting due to you.

Say what you like 88, but it was peaceful and enjoyable until you came back, not because people dont enjoy talking to you, they obviously do, you're a well liked member. Its the fact that you cant help but go me at every turn and every thread gets hijacked by the same back and forth. We should try to avoid remarking on each others posts and see how it works for the love of the forum

If Ricky Stuart looks at our last game he'll tell his kickers to target SKD instead of Ponga. SKD had a bad case of butter fingers - but I'm told he does that every now and then and is OK again the next week.

The Roosters supporters are a hard bunch to please but they were happy enough to see SKD go because of 'brain snaps and butter fingers'. But we're yet to see the snaps

You're on the wrong page mate. Who the hell disagrees with what you wrote above? Not me

For the billionth time, Ponga will definitely have fluctuations of form, that is not what was in question.

You and a few others had maintained all off season that he had technical deficiencies in his game that would take time to weed out, such as his ability to orgnaise the defensive line from the back, be vocal and command direction, his positional play, his ability to defuse bombs, his physicality. You had claimed that these things were going to be a problem and i was mad for thinking a 19 year old could walk straight into grade and get the job done. I had even referenced Dylan Edwards as an example of a player who had done just that

You were wrong about Ponga, he improved drastically over the off season and looks to have the roll covered quite well.

Absolutely no one has ever claimed his form couldn't slip... Stop it with your bs strawman arguments and address exactly what Ive said above otherwise please stop replying to me

You got it wrong. Just move on

You are calling it after one game you donut... Anyone can catch a bomb and cover up those deficiencies for one game. It's whether he does it consistently to prove he has improved is the key. I hope he has but it was a glaring weakness in his game last year and for 99.99% of players will take over the course of their first full rookie season to improve and overcome.

I can't believe how deluded you really are.

You also said he won't go through form slumps because Slater, Hayne, Inglis didn't and went to rep standard in 18 months. 2 of those guys were very bad examples as they are renowned for going missing for large chunks of time. Not I who is the straw man. Everyone on this forum knows it's you.

Last edited:
You are calling it after one game you donut... Anyone can catch a bomb and cover up those deficiencies for one game. It's whether he does it consistently to prove he has improved is the key. I hope he has but it was a glaring weakness in his game last year and for 99.99% of players will take over the course of their first full rookie season to improve and overcome.

I can't believe how deluded you really are.

Ok sweet. See this is productive discussion. We have now clearly outlined the difference in our opinions.

You're position hasnt changed. You feel one game proves nothing. To that I say, no problems. Let's see how this plays out over the next few weeks

I look forward it!

Delusions are fixed beliefs that do not change, even when a person is presented with conflicting evidence.

Doesnt sound like kenny at all.

The Roosters supporters are a hard bunch to please but they were happy enough to see SKD go because of 'brain snaps and butter fingers'. But we're yet to see the snaps

Been okay so far. His goal line passes really scare me though. He did at least 1 last year, 1 last week to Ponga, threw it really hard too with Roosters chasers fast approaching. Lucky Ponga caught it with no issues but it's bound to to stuff up at some point.

Delusions are fixed beliefs that do not change, even when a person is presented with conflicting evidence.

Doesnt sound like kenny at all.

Hmm, not sure what you're talking about if im honest mate. Ponga clearly demonstrated what he is capable of against Manly. So far the evidnce is in support of my position. But im happy to give you blokes a couple more weeks to see how this plays out

Ponga had an amazing first game. He was involved in almost everything.
But are we asking too much from a 19 year old? Is he going to burn out with the weight on his shoulders? Just a concern but i hope he can handle it.
When Watson was on at 5/8, Ponga seemed to be taking the responsibility for fullback and 5/8. Thats alot of responsibility for a 19 year old.

Ok sweet. See this is productive discussion. We have now clearly outlined the difference in our opinions.

You're position hasnt changed. You feel one game proves nothing. To that I say, no problems. Let's see how this plays out over the next few weeks

I look forward it!

Of course one game proves nothing. Stuart Mills would have a 15 year career in FG if that was the case after his debut. You contradict yourself on everything.

For example you believe Morgan's 3 or 4 good games (in your opinion) proves nothing in reference to him being one of the best organising halves along with his running game. You're so blinded that he was the best half in the game from origin onwards.

But Ponga's one great game in FG proves all these doubts and apparent deficiencies wrong....

Keep it up straw man.

Of course one game proves nothing. Stuart Mills would have a 15 year career in FG if that was the case after his debut. You contradict yourself on everything.

For example you believe Morgan's 3 or 4 good games (in your opinion) proves nothing in reference to him being one of the best organising halves along with his running game. You're so blinded that he was the best half in the game from origin onwards.

But Ponga's one great game in FG proves all these doubts and apparent deficiencies wrong....

Keep it up straw man.

Lets not make this more complicated than it needs to be CBM

Ill be proven absolutely right over the next few weeks. I look forward to your admission of loss when these so called deficiencies dont rear their head

Ponga had an amazing first game. He was involved in almost everything.
But are we asking too much from a 19 year old? Is he going to burn out with the weight on his shoulders? Just a concern but i hope he can handle it.
When Watson was on at 5/8, Ponga seemed to be taking the responsibility for fullback and 5/8. Thats alot of responsibility for a 19 year old.

Asking too much? We're not asking. He is just providing. So far over 80 minutes he passed every test with flying colours.

No one is asking for him to single handedly win us games. But yet he came up with two try savers in defense in his first game.

And if he cant keep it up I wont be surprized. But its my opinion that he will more than likely continue to play well, because he is not exactly like other 19 years olds lol

Imagine how much money Kenny would’ve given Jordan Atkins after his debut?

As sure as night follows day, both 88 and CBM are certain to co-like any comment which even hints at opposing me. Lol they're are a crack up. Identical to school girls.

Mozza, we can debate until we are blue in the face about different examples of players being capable of different things. So all im saying is, lets wait and see how this plays out

I never said Ponga would become the worlds best player as of rnd 1. All i said was that I was confident that the off season would weed out a lot of problem areas in his raw and changing game. He's talented enough to do it, and there are numerous examples of NYC grads doing exactly that. Take Dylan Edwards for instance

Round 1 comes around and Ponga has a very good game. Did all the small things right and was able to come up with some big plays both defensively and offensively. So far, he has demonstrated that my confidence was well placed.

All that remains to be seen is if rnd 1 was a lucky fluke. It seems as though 88 and CBM contend that it was a fluke. So I say, lets wait and see

This convo really doesnt need to continue

Back